Author Topic: Dealing with Fraud  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
Dealing with Fraud
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »
It appears I have been the victim of identity theft/fraud a few years ago, and I'm only now finding out about it. I just received a letter from a legal firm stating that I owe almost $2000 to a credit card which I've never owned. I've always been quite scrupulous with my money and buy very little. Presently I am living on next to nothing, not having had a job since '08. It is very difficult. In addition, I am not quite well again, and cannot afford any extra stress, as the stress really does endanger my chances of recovery. It appears I may have to go to court over this and am so appalled by this turn of events; I just don't want such needless stress right now. I know I am innocent, and I am even certain of who stole my identity, but the trouble is, I have almost no way of proving anything.

Please pray that somehow everything will work out in my favour and that my innocence will be proven and that there won't be too much stress. Also, please pray that I can somehow have a good attitude towards these men who wronged me-now in more ways than I even imagined.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:15:58 PM by Rosehip »
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
Re: Dealing with Fraud
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
Lord have mercy!

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 08:24:36 PM »
That's terrible, Rosehip.

Lord, have mercy!
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Gisasargavak

• Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
Lord, save and have mercy upon thy servant.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »
Lord have Mercy.

Offline stanley123

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »
It appears I have been the victim of identity theft/fraud a few years ago, and I'm only now finding out about it. I just received a letter from a legal firm stating that I owe almost $2000 to a credit card which I've never owned. I've always been quite scrupulous with my money and buy very little. Presently I am living on next to nothing, not having had a job since '08. It is very difficult. In addition, I am not quite well again, and cannot afford any extra stress, as the stress really does endanger my chances of recovery. It appears I may have to go to court over this and am so appalled by this turn of events; I just don't want such needless stress right now. I know I am innocent, and I am even certain of who stole my identity, but the trouble is, I have almost no way of proving anything.

Please pray that somehow everything will work out in my favour and that my innocence will be proven and that there won't be too much stress. Also, please pray that I can somehow have a good attitude towards these men who wronged me-now in more ways than I even imagined.
The same thing happened to me a while back. Someone was taking out $300 per day from an ATM, using my credit card number. The bill ran up to more than $10,000.  I contacted the credit card agency, and they had the video of the person who was taking the money out of the account. I also contacted the three credit bureaus and found out that several attempts had been made to take out loans and apply for credit in my name.  I made the police report and although it did take a while before all of this was cleared up, eventually it was cleared and I did not have to pay anything. So here is my advice:
1. Contact the local police and file a report.
2. Contact your credit card company, fraud division.
3. Contact the three credit bureaus and ask for a copy of your credit file from each one, letting them know you are a fraud victim.
There is a good chance that if you are persistent in this, you will win in the end and come out OK.
Good luck.
and
Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:19:25 AM by stanley123 »

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 03:48:22 AM »
Lord, have mercy!
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 12:33:52 PM »

The same thing happened to me a while back. Someone was taking out $300 per day from an ATM, using my credit card number. The bill ran up to more than $10,000.  I contacted the credit card agency, and they had the video of the person who was taking the money out of the account. I also contacted the three credit bureaus and found out that several attempts had been made to take out loans and apply for credit in my name.  I made the police report and although it did take a while before all of this was cleared up, eventually it was cleared and I did not have to pay anything. So here is my advice:
1. Contact the local police and file a report.
2. Contact your credit card company, fraud division.
3. Contact the three credit bureaus and ask for a copy of your credit file from each one, letting them know you are a fraud victim.
There is a good chance that if you are persistent in this, you will win in the end and come out OK.
Good luck.
and
Lord have mercy.

Thank you so much Stanley, for alll this practical advice! Thanks to all for the prayers!
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 04:58:50 PM »
Lord, have mercy! It happened to us before, although the people who stole our credit card did not spend that much. Thankfully, the credit card company accepted our explanation and we did not have to pay anything. I'll pray that you will not treated unjustly!
Love never fails.

Offline jnorm888

• Jnorm
  • Archon
  • Icon and Cross (international space station)
    • Ancient Christian Defender
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »
Lord Have Mercy!

I know how you feel right now. A former roommate of mine did something similar. Hang in there and don't give up!
"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/

Offline Lauren_Elisse

• Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 01:51:35 AM »
Lord have mercy!
Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 06:19:08 AM »
Molitve /Prayers / Молитве...

Господе Помилуј....Амин
Lord Have Mercy...Amen
Gospode Pomiluj...Amen

Sorry to hear about this ,My Prayers......
Hope Everything works out in the end......
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Online Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • An Ideal to Strive Towards
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »
Lord, have mercy.
My posts no longer forum here.

Offline Phoenix73

• Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »
Lord Have Mercy

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »
:( Lord have mercy!

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »

Wow!  So sorry to hear this.  You certainly have enough on your plate as it is.

May the Lord be merciful and help you in clearing up this whole situation - promptly and simply.

Don't stress. 

You are in my unworthy prayers!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Lauren_Elisse

• Elder
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 06:34:45 AM »
Lord have mercy
Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »
Lord have mercy.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.