OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:30:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Copyright infringement on Liturgical Texts  (Read 558 times) Average Rating: 0
kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: July 09, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »

Help me understand this.

To me it seems the Liturgical texts, prayers and daily services should be freely welcomed to be reproduced...

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »

It would be nice if that were the case, but then the people who make their living or part of their living from translations would be cheated of their gain, and that would reduce the availability of translations.

I know of some translators who have licensed "parish use" copies to missions that could not afford the full series of books, etc.  But to release it in to cyberspace would be detrimental in the long run to sound translation work in many cases.

Some are able to support themselves by other means, and they translate freely.  God bless them for their generosity; I say this without criticizing those who must enforce their copyright.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:48:53 AM »

I've been told by a number of creators of liturgical texts, in both the Orthodox Church and other Christian bodies, that copyright on liturgical texts is meant to ensure that texts are distributed unaltered and credited. If someone is redistributing them in an inappropriately altered form, the copyright holder can take action. It shouldn't be about stopping free distribution: the Gospel must be available to all.

Certainly in most of the Orthodox world, the Church sees no problem with photocopying materials they need. Many monasteries often sell photocopies of copyright works to visitors without seeking authorization from the copyright holder first.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 04:06:45 AM »

Haven't you heard the expression "The Gospel is free, the cover might cost you a little though."?  Tongue Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:59:33 AM »

The American Book of Common Prayer is always placed in the public domain; editions for official use, however, have a certification page testifying that they have been checked against a reference copy, and in the proposed book that page alone is copyrighted. Supplemental texts are placed under copyright, as of course is the hymnal; however, in either case what one does to use it in a service is send a letter to Church Publishing, and in general they will give you permission to copy as needed for inclusion in a bulletin. There is also a copyright permission system called CCLI for church music, and some works allow you to copy all or certain parts as needed for use in services.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: