OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:35:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lenten Reading  (Read 2664 times) Average Rating: 0
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« on: February 04, 2004, 11:06:07 AM »

What are you planning on reading for Great Lent?

I have been thinking about reading Unseen Warfare. Can anyone give a review of this book?

Greg

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
jbc1949

St. Adeodatus--Given by God

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 05:29:55 PM »

I have been thinking about reading Unseen Warfare. Can anyone give a review of this book?

Greg

Good Book.  It is RC Fr. Lorenzo Scupoli's book with Orthodox emendations.

I (an RC) plan on reading Fr. Thomas Hopko's Lenten Spring and re-reading Fr. Alexander Schemnman's (sp?) Great Lent, and some other stuff.
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 08:12:46 PM »

I think I may finally read the Imitation of Christ, cover to cover. Perhaps also the Consolation of Philosophy.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 04:34:32 AM »

This year I will finally read Life after death by (now) Metropolitan of Nafpaktos Hierotheos. About time that I do.

And, as I do every year on Holy Friday, I will read all four gospels between services.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
OrthodoxCelt

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 07:35:17 PM »

I am going to read/pray the Lenten Triodion. I read the Sunday of the Prodigal and fell in love. Smiley

“It is later than you think!” Blessed Seraphim Rose
OrthodoxCelt

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 07:36:49 PM »

Here's the book on line.  http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/prayers/triodion/triodion.html

“It is later than you think!” Blessed Seraphim Rose
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 09:34:37 PM »

Wow!  Thx for the link! Cheesy

I'm going to read the "old standby," Fr. John Mack's "Ascending the Heights:  A Layman's Guide to The Ladder of Divine Ascent."  Might also peruse other classics, "The Way of a Pilgrim," and the "The Pilgrim continues his way."  These books tend to "put me in my place" spiritually and emotionally, with regard to my relationship with God.  It is difficult for me to feel proud and unaware of my sinfulness, and to not feel a need for God's great Mercy and Grace.   These texts remind me that no matter how smug I may get, I am chief among sinners.   They remind me that God, out of His great Love,  offers me the promise of His Grace , though I am entirely unworthy.

This, (I think) is an appropriate posture, when, during Pascha, we contemplate God's great Gift to us all - His Only-Begotten Son, who died for us all so that we may achieve His Grace.
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 10:42:59 PM »

Since Fr. gave me his blessing to read "Path to Salvation" by St. Theophan the Recluse, that's what I will read during Lent.  Fr. think that this and the scripture readings is plenty to read.  

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 10:59:34 PM »

I liked Confessions of St. Augustine (or Blessed Augustine as the Orthodox say) last year.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 03:04:47 AM »

I thought we called him Blessed Saint Augustine.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 10:19:33 PM »

I guess that satisfies everyone Smiley. But I have only seen him called Blessed Augustine in Fr. Seraphim Rose's book about him and in other places, but he is fully a saint among the Orthodox as that book explains.
HelenElizabeth

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 12:34:41 AM »

I am  reading "Touching Heaven by John Olliver. You can get Copy  from Conciler Press

NULL
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 12:40:56 AM »

Jesus: A Dialogue With the Saviour, by A Monk of the Eastern Church (Lev Gillet)

On Those who Think They are Made Righteous by Works, by St. Mark the Ascetic

On the Spiritual Law, by St. Mark the Ascetic
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 12:42:38 AM by Paradosis » Logged
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2005, 06:31:54 PM »

I had posted this question earlier, but since everyone is talking about reading books during Holy Lent, can anyone tell me, or direct me towards a means of reading the entire book The Ladder during the 40 day period?  I'd like to know how I can space it out on a daily basis.  Our parish priest said something to the effect that since it's a 33 chapter book, you can stretch it into an extra week and then break it down that way (i.e. have forty different sections to read).  I suppose, though, now that I think about it, that I could just read it up until Holy Week, which would cover the seven days that I would have left over (since you spend a lot of time doing other things during Holy Week).  Anyway...
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »

Schmemann's Great Lent
Ascending the Heights
Triodion

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 09:29:02 PM »

At the Euphrosynos Caf+¬ we are, as a group reading a non-polemical, piritual book, "The Royal Way of the Cross of Our Lord Leading to Eternal Life" by Saint John (Maximovitch I) of Chernigov, originally published by the Optina Elders. If anyone would like to join us, information on ordering it from various sources is available at http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3700 and the section where we will be posting thoughts on each chapter and book reviews is at http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

This book has 47 short chapters so it gives you one chapter a day for all of Great Lent including Holy Week.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: