OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 10:33:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armenian lessons?  (Read 8473 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: July 08, 2010, 02:38:02 PM »

I want to see if there is anyone who would be interested in learning Armenian here at OCnet.  In other words, if we were to start a thread on learning Armenian, would anyone be interested?  The Armenian taught could be Western, Eastern, or Classical, depending on interest and the availability of teachers (right now we have someone who has expressed interest in teaching any of those.)

If we started a thread on learning Armenian, would people want it to be a place where someone who is learning it elsewhere could ask questions, or would people want actual lessons?

Anyone interested?  Any thoughts as to how they would like to do this?

Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »

Count me in. I think lessons are the best way to proceed.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »

I'd like to learn! Armenian has really fascinated me since my time in Watertown, MA.

Are there any programs like BYKI in Armenian? Would we be able ot do an on-line class?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:39:52 PM »

Yes, I'd like to learn.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »

I'm interested as well.

And for liturgical and Patristics purposes, I think Classical Armenian would be the best bet, though obviously I don't know enough to be hugely partial any way.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »

What do others want:  Western, Eastern, or Classical?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:05:38 PM by Salpy » Logged

Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:44:50 PM »

What do others want:  Western, Eastern, or Classical?

Modern is my first choice. Classical would be nice as well.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »

Which modern are you interested in--Eastern or Western?

FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 10:13:03 PM »

It oesn't really matter to me. I'd like to learn Classical Armenian, just so I could know my way around the Liturgy when I hear it. Eastern or Western Armenian doesn't really matter to me.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Gisasargavak

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:34:04 PM »

I would be willing to help people with questions as they come up. I speak Western Armenian, but can help you with Eastern or Classical (both of which I have some knowledge through osmosis and listening). If you can speak modern Armenian, you can recognize actually a large amount of Classical imo.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 11:43:35 PM »

It oesn't really matter to me. I'd like to learn Classical Armenian, just so I could know my way around the Liturgy when I hear it. Eastern or Western Armenian doesn't really matter to me.
There's an introduction to Grabar (Classical Armenian) by a big name in Armenian Studies, Robert Thomspon
http://books.google.com/books?id=WgxkAAAAMAAJ&q=Classical+Armenian+Thompson&dq=Classical+Armenian+Thompson&hl=en&ei=fJg2TOubC4O88gbX9fzUAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA
He coauthored a textbook on Western Armenian.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZNmAAAAAIAAJ&q=Grabar&dq=Classical%20Armenian%20Thompson&source=gbs_slider_thumb

On Eastern Armenian, Armenian: modern Eastern Armenian By Jasmine Tragut might help.

Btw, Eastern Armenian might be the language of the modern state, but it is spoken by a minority of Armenians.
http://books.google.com/books?id=SGyop5guXDkC&pg=PA1&dq=Eastern+Armenian&hl=en&ei=xpk2TIPcOsSHnQf0lNjfAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 04:43:57 AM »

Btw, Eastern Armenian might be the language of the modern state, but it is spoken by a minority of Armenians.

Today Eastern Armenian is spoken by the majority of Armenians, and one can find more literature in Eastern than Western Armenian. Eastern Armenian makes its way today also in the United States and Europe through immigrants from Armenia, Iran and Russia. Also, today's largest Armenian community outside Armenia is the community of Russia where almost only Eastern Armenians live. Some TV channels of Armenia broadcast almost everywhere in the world where Armenians live because of which Eastern Armenian more and more spreads. If you go to Google translator, the only Armenian listed there is the Eastern Armenian. On the Internet the majority of Armenian websites are again in Eastern Armenian. So, I don't know why you decided that this language is spoken by a minority.

So, the state of Western Armenian is really not good today, unfortunately. It is still good only in Syria and Lebanon. Most of Western Armenians, being raised in non-Armenian societies and having non-Armenian education know their language not well and speak and write with both grammatical and orthographic errors, sometimes even mixing Eastern Armenian with their mother tongue. If you knew Armenian well, you could see this phenomenon also in the other, Armenian language thread on this website.

On this website most of Armenians are Western Armenians, so here, the "Easterners" are a minority, that's true Smiley.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:47:42 AM by vasnTearn » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »

OK, here we go:

http://vasntearn.blogspot.com/

Our very own VasTearn has agreed to do Classical Armenian lessons for everyone who is interested in learning.  Instead of doing it here, however, she wants to do it in a separate place so that there are less distractions.  So just follow that link to start.   Smiley

vasnTearn

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 02:03:21 PM »

And for Western Armenian go here-

http://vasntearn2.blogspot.com/

Please, tell me what you think about these two blogs and be active through your comments (questions, suggestions etc), otherwise I will not know if I should continue with this, or not.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:04:35 PM by vasnTearn » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »

Yeah!!!  Western Armenian!!!

Էֆերիմ

Sorry.   Smiley

Ապրիս

Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:20:46 PM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 05:18:58 PM »

I have a question for VasnTearn:

In this chart of the Armenian alphabet, which gives the Eastern Armenian pronunciation, they actually list ու and եւ in the alphabet.  Are those actually taught as part of the alphabet in Armenia?

http://www.tacentral.com/language/alpha.asp

Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »

OK, here we go:

http://vasntearn.blogspot.com/

Our very own VasTearn has agreed to do Classical Armenian lessons for everyone who is interested in learning.  Instead of doing it here, however, she wants to do it in a separate place so that there are less distractions.  So just follow that link to start.   Smiley

Looks great!! I'll work through this over the weekend.

Many thanks.

vasnTearn

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 02:54:06 AM »

In this chart of the Armenian alphabet, which gives the Eastern Armenian pronunciation, they actually list ու and եւ in the alphabet.  Are those actually taught as part of the alphabet in Armenia?

If you know, the Soviet orthography (I call the Reformed orthography "Soviet" which is true but many people in Armenia don't like when I call it so Smiley) they don't use the letter Ւ ւ (viun), only using Վ վ for the sound "v". Instead of Ւ ւ they have put Ու ու in the alphabet, and because the digraph և (not եւ) is widely used in Armenian, they have given it a place in the alphabet.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:25:39 AM by vasnTearn » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 11:14:48 AM »

I didn't know that.  Thank you.

Gisasargavak

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 12:47:34 PM »

In this chart of the Armenian alphabet, which gives the Eastern Armenian pronunciation, they actually list ու and եւ in the alphabet.  Are those actually taught as part of the alphabet in Armenia?

If you know, the Soviet orthography (I call the Reformed orthography "Soviet" which is true but many people in Armenia don't like when I call it so Smiley) they don't use the letter Ւ ւ (viun), only using Վ վ for the sound "v". Instead of Ւ ւ they have put Ու ու in the alphabet, and because the digraph և (not եւ) is widely used in Armenian, they have given it a place in the alphabet.

Correct. Instead of writing the Mashdotsian Աստուած, they write Աստված.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 05:31:37 PM »

Most of Western Armenians, being raised in non-Armenian societies and having non-Armenian education know their language not well and speak and write with both grammatical and orthographic errors, sometimes even mixing Western Armenian with their mother tongue.

You just described me "to a T."   Cheesy  I take Armenian words and grammar, English words and grammar, a little Turkish, then I mix them together and what comes out is what comes out.   Smiley

My mom likes growing tomatoes in her garden during the summer.  Our neighbors have a cat, named Timothy the Cat (yes, we have a neighborhood pet named after a great theologian.)  Timothy likes to spend time in our backyard, which is never a problem for us.  He does, however, sometimes dig holes, which is not good when they are too close to my mom's tomato plants.  So a while back, I was looking out a window at the backyard and saw Timothy digging a hole.  «Կատուն hole մը dig կ՚ընէ,» I said to my mom, who was in the next room.  I heard a heavy sigh come from my mom, and I knew it wasn't directed at the cat.   Cheesy

In all fairness, though, there are Eastern Armenians who mix Russian with their Armenian.  I run my church's bookstore, and when someone from Armenia buys a cross and wants a chain for it, they ask for a ցեփ.  I don't even think they know the word շղթայ.  And then their word for ice cream is մոլոժնի, not պաղպաղակ.  So I guess everyone does it to an extent.  The American Western Armenians are probably the worst, though.   Smiley

Speaking of Timothy the Cat (the theologian, not the pet,) I have heard more than once that some of his writings survive today only in Classical Armenian and that they have yet to be translated into any modern language.  Is this true?  Have you ever heard of any plans to start translating his work?  It would be so edifying to have his work in a modern language, not only Modern Armenian, but even English, so that people all over the world can read his work.  Are there any rumors about this ever happening? 

FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 10:05:44 PM »

Is there any way to hear the letters pronounced as they are presented in Lesson 1? Would this be something to be added in the future?

Are there any websites that could help me hear how Grabar is spoken?

I do not learn well by reading; for me I have to work with the subject matter and hopefully solve problems with it. Can my needs be met somehow?

Gisasargavak

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »

Is there any way to hear the letters pronounced as they are presented in Lesson 1? Would this be something to be added in the future?

I do not learn well by reading; for me I have to work with the subject matter and hopefully solve problems with it. Can my needs be met somehow?

No one "speaks" Grabar. In fact no one has heard it as it was truly spoken for about the past millenium. There are hunches as to what it sounded like, but no one can say for sure.

Today, we read Grabar with the Modern Armenian phonology, either Western or Eastern.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 10:19:28 PM »

No one "speaks" Grabar. In fact no one has heard it as it was truly spoken for about the past millenium. There are hunches as to what it sounded like, but no one can say for sure.

Today, we read Grabar with the Modern Armenian phonology, either Western or Eastern.

Yes, it is clear from the intro that Grabar is not a language that individuals speak to one another. However, clearly the letters form some sort of sound that is used.

Are there any websites that can help me 'hear' this unspoken language then, that will start at a basic level so I can get the connection between the sounds and rhythms of the language? Examing youtube videos of Armenian liturgies are not all that helpful since the language spoken is much too fast for me to make the connections I need to make at this stage.

Gisasargavak

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »

I would suggest that you find any recording of people speaking Armenian, but particularly sermons as the priests are more likely to pronounce the words as they should be pronounced. Get a feel for the sound of the language at first, and try to pronounce the letters to the best of your ability. You will be pronouncing Grabar as Modern Armenian, which is how the Church does it. I don't think there is any audio of people trying to recreate what it originally sounded like, but maybe others can point you in a different direction.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 11:19:32 PM »

Fr. Chris,
Տէր Քրիս,
(Ter Kris)

Try this:

The above link has the alphabet, and if you click on the letters, a guy's voice actually pronounces the sounds they make.  It's the Eastern Armenian pronunciation, which actually is closer to the original Grabar (Գրաբար.)

Grabar, by the way is really pronounced "Gurabar."  There is a little "u" sound there, like in the word "but."  Also, Armenian words tend to have the accent on the last syllable.  So it would be "GuraBAR."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:37:18 PM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 01:19:01 AM »

A tangent about St. Timothy Aerulus was split off and put here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28683.msg452464/topicseen.html#top
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:19:19 AM by Salpy » Logged

vasnTearn

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »

Dear Fr Chris

Please, if there are suggestions etc concerning the lessons, feel free telling all of it in the comments field on the blog site, so I can make changes.

You may hear how the letters are pronounced also at this website - http://www.matenadaran.am/v2_1/
Just click on the letter you need, an additional window will open. Then in the upper part of the window you'll see the letter, its name (written in Armenian though) and a word beginning with that letter. Click on that part of the window and you'll hear all of it. They have put some music there though, ugly and noisy at times. You can switch it off at the bottom right corner. You'll see that music small icon there to click on it and switch it off.

Also, at the website of St Nersess Seminary, you can download, for example, the first recording of this page, a proclamation - http://www.stnersess.edu/classroom/sml/daily/arevakal/index.php
It is called "EE na orhnestseen". Hear it. Though Fr Daniel who reads it is a Western Armenian,  there are very few differences in that text between Eastern Armenian and Western Armenian pronunciations. So, hearing that you'll understand how Classical Armenian sounds. There are other proclamations too on that page. There are also songs. Well, browse in that website's recordings.

In this video the Catholicos and the deacons pray or sing psalms etc in Grabar. They use the Eastern Armenian pronunciation which is nearer to that of Grabar.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=452400;topic=28618.0;sesc=235a252a3209b150da062f49da9a11a7

Now I'll add some of this information to my blog too.
Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »

I am really enjoying the Classical Armenian blog. I will be caught up with the work in a few days.
Please do continue! BTW: the link to the video of the Catholicos & Deacons doesn't seem to be working. Many thanks for making these resources available!

Dear Fr Chris

Please, if there are suggestions etc concerning the lessons, feel free telling all of it in the comments field on the blog site, so I can make changes.

You may hear how the letters are pronounced also at this website - http://www.matenadaran.am/v2_1/
Just click on the letter you need, an additional window will open. Then in the upper part of the window you'll see the letter, its name (written in Armenian though) and a word beginning with that letter. Click on that part of the window and you'll hear all of it. They have put some music there though, ugly and noisy at times. You can switch it off at the bottom right corner. You'll see that music small icon there to click on it and switch it off.

Also, at the website of St Nersess Seminary, you can download, for example, the first recording of this page, a proclamation - http://www.stnersess.edu/classroom/sml/daily/arevakal/index.php
It is called "EE na orhnestseen". Hear it. Though Fr Daniel who reads it is a Western Armenian,  there are very few differences in that text between Eastern Armenian and Western Armenian pronunciations. So, hearing that you'll understand how Classical Armenian sounds. There are other proclamations too on that page. There are also songs. Well, browse in that website's recordings.

In this video the Catholicos and the deacons pray or sing psalms etc in Grabar. They use the Eastern Armenian pronunciation which is nearer to that of Grabar.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=452400;topic=28618.0;sesc=235a252a3209b150da062f49da9a11a7

Now I'll add some of this information to my blog too.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »

Wikipedia has a chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_alphabet
which summarizes in a nice way the differences between the Classical, Eastern and Western Armenian pronunciation.

Btw, here's a nice wiktionary entry on Աստուած (Astuac) “‘God’” (Eastern Armenian[ɑstˈvɑts] Western Armenian [ɑsdˈvɑdz]), the word for God. Go to the declension, and it gives you an idea of what you are up against.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D5%A1%D5%BD%D5%BF%D5%B8%D6%82%D5%A1%D5%AE
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:03:31 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 05:22:24 PM »

Yeah, Classical Armenian case declensions are a bit complicated.  Modern is easier.  

Regarding the word for God, Աստուած, fifteen hundred years ago it was pronounced with a w in the middle. I think it was something like Astowats, or Astwats (I might be getting that wrong.)  Now there is no w in Armenian phonology, so everyone just says "Astvats" (Eastern Armenian/Classical Armenian) or "Asdvadz" (Western Armenian.)

The letter ւ is tricky.  In Classical Armenian in the old days, it was a w.  Together with ո (ու), it made a diphthong, ow.  Now, w has disappeared and been replaced with the v sound.  That letter, when by itself, is pronounced as v.  When with ո (ու), it makes "oo." When ու comes before another vowel, however, it again makes v.  That is why Աստուած is pronounced Astvats now.  Confused?  It's OK.   Smiley

Just remember Astvats is God, and the way you spell it is Աստուած.    
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:58:03 PM by Salpy » Logged

Gisasargavak

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 08:42:01 PM »

Yes, Salpy. That's why I was encouraging everyone to use the modern Armenian pronounciation. If you used the w sound, you would confuse many people.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 05:59:52 PM »

How are the Classical Armenian lessons going?

I notice that there are three lessons up.  Is anyone using them?  I notice that no one has left comments.  I tried to leave a comment a few days back at the Western Armenian lesson site, but I had trouble.  Before the comment would post, I got a question asking me for a URL.  Of course I had no idea what they were talking about, so I didn't post a comment.

Is anyone else trying to post comments over there, but not able to?

Also, would audio recordings of words and how letters are pronounced be helpful?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 07:41:40 PM »

How are the Classical Armenian lessons going?

I notice that there are three lessons up.  Is anyone using them?  I notice that no one has left comments.  I tried to leave a comment a few days back at the Western Armenian lesson site, but I had trouble.  Before the comment would post, I got a question asking me for a URL.  Of course I had no idea what they were talking about, so I didn't post a comment.

Also, would audio recordings of words and how letters are pronounced be helpful?
LOL. I'm inspired, but need patience.  The Armenian alphabet is hard on my eyes, even in younger days.  I haven't tried to post a comment.  I think audio is always helpful.

Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 06:13:13 AM »

I am also benefitting very much but proceeding slowly. The Alphabet is difficult but when I have grasped it I think I will then be able to make further progress.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
vasnTearn

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2010, 11:51:04 AM »

I tried to leave a comment a few days back at the Western Armenian lesson site, but I had trouble.  Before the comment would post, I got a question asking me for a URL.  Of course I had no idea what they were talking about, so I didn't post a comment.

Salpy, I tried to send a comment as someone else (without being signed in) and it was OK. For example, select the profile "name/URL", write your name there or whatever you want to, don't type anything in the field of URL, it is not needful, and send your comment.

I'm still thinking how to add the audio material to the blog. When I have done this, I'll let you know.

I didn't continue the blog for Western Armenian because there was no response whatever to it, so I considered it wasn't needed and stopped adding anything.
vasnTearn

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 12:30:21 PM »

I've added an mp3 file to the first lesson - http://vasntearn.blogspot.com/2010/07/classical-armenian.html

Go to the end of the lesson and you'll see the following sentence -
To listen to the recording of the Armenian letters, words and sentences found in this lesson click on the following link -

And the link is given.

Sorry for the quality. If you encounter any problem with this audio file please tell me. Also, tell me if this is helpful and if I should continue doing the same for the second and third lessons.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 01:17:32 PM »

Didn't someone post a link here where you could write in Armenian font?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »

It's here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28508.msg449724.html#msg449724

Reply 2 has Windows and reply 7 has Mac.

vasnTearn

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 03:07:23 AM »

Is it possible that my previous post has remained unnoticed? Because I'm waiting for answers to know what to do or what not to do Smiley.

Also, I noticed that the link in the above mentioned N2 post refers to other webpage to download KDWin Keaboard layout, fonts and another program, but that webpage is no longer available.

To download all those programs and fonts, go to this website - http://www.network.am/Categories/Text/Armenian
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:16:24 AM by vasnTearn » Logged
vasnTearn

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 04:12:32 AM »

You may try to download and use the first keyboard and also DKD - Dar Keyboard Driver 0.1b from that page. Both drivers are created not only for Armenian, but also some other languages. And they allow the user to edit the keyboard according to their preferences.
vasnTearn

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 07:00:20 AM »

I'm so sorry.  Just now I have realized that both the first and the third links that I mentioned in this quoted post of mine are wrong. Can't understand how I managed to do so Sad. The correct links are:

The first - for the alphabet - http://www.menq.am/tarer_main.htm
The third - for the video - http://www.youtube.com/user/ArmenianChurch#p/u/42/H54UiwwWTOI
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 01:55:13 AM »

The audio that was added to the first lesson is very nice.  

Do others find it helpful?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:55:49 AM by Salpy » Logged

vasnTearn

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 02:45:17 AM »

The audio that was added to the first lesson is very nice.  

Do others find it helpful?

LOL. I had already decided to delete that child's voice  Grin
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 02:46:27 AM »

I liked it!

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 03:04:14 AM »

The fourth lesson is up.  How is everyone doing?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »

There's a link for an online Classical Armenian dictionary.  Cool.   Smiley

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2010, 12:01:15 PM »

I have to refresh my memory, but I remember that someone (the Mekhetarists?) put out a dictionary in Grabar, Ecclesiastical Greek and Latin.  I wonder if it is online.

vasnTearn

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2010, 06:58:33 AM »

I have to refresh my memory, but I remember that someone (the Mekhetarists?) put out a dictionary in Grabar, Ecclesiastical Greek and Latin.  I wonder if it is online.

The dictionary you are searching (Nor Bar'girk' haykazean lezui, 2 volumes, Venice, 1836-37) is digitized and put online but the access is by subscription. The link of the dictionary is this -
http://www.sd-editions.com/AnaServer?lalt+0+start.anv+id=Norbarg

The dictionary is in Armenian and there are examples from medieval texts for almost all words. But it doesn't provide with the Greek and Latin equivalents of all words, only some.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 12:33:27 PM »

Is there any site with Armenian handwriting?

vasnTearn

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »

Is there any site with Armenian handwriting?

http://hayeren.hayastan.com/english/abr.html

On the page the link of which I've given you'll see the alphabet. Click on any of the letters, it will open and you'll see 4 buttons. The second and fourth buttons are for handwriting. To go back to the alphabet for the other letters, click on the word ԱՅԲՈՒԲԵՆ (you'll understand where to click yourself too).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:32:40 PM by vasnTearn » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 11:12:15 PM »

A site with frequency lists for Mesrob's Grabar (Classical Armenian) Bible:
http://212.34.228.170/bible/index_w_f.htm
with a concordance.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:13:34 PM by ialmisry » Logged

vasnTearn

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 06:22:01 AM »

A site with frequency lists for Mesrob's Grabar (Classical Armenian) Bible:
http://212.34.228.170/bible/index_w_f.htm
with a concordance.

Thank you, ialmisry! This concordance is wonderful. It also includes the inflected forms of the words.
vasnTearn

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2013, 06:31:34 AM »

Now that dictionary can be found online here:
http://www.nayiri.com/imagedDictionaryBrowser.jsp?dictionaryId=26&pageNumber=676&query=%D5%AE%D5%BA%D5%A5%D5%B2

The Classical Armenian-English dictionary published in 1875 is here:
http://www.nayiri.com/imagedDictionaryBrowser.jsp?dictionaryId=16&pageNumber=1050&query=%D5%AE%D5%BA%D5%A5%D5%B2
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »

Another good resource, R. Bedrosian's page at UT at Austin:
http://rbedrosian.com/grabar.html
It also has a searchable text for the Zohrab Bible etc.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:57:43 AM by ialmisry » Logged

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »

I have a question.

How difficult is it for someone who has say a semester of college level Modern Western Armenian (a bit rusty but i got an A in it) to swap over to the classical?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 08:58:33 PM »

The alphabet is the same, and there is some overlap in vocabulary between Classical and Modern Armenian, but the grammar is very different.  Classical Armenian grammar is pretty complex, and is more difficult than Modern Western Armenian.  Still, if you want to study Classical Armenian, go for it.   Smiley  It's quite beautiful.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2013, 09:01:18 PM »

There are some online lessons here:

http://vasntearn.blogspot.com/2010/07/classical-armenian.html

raffisx

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Church

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2014, 06:31:17 PM »

Salpy Jan

Great initiative my friend , loving the thread and the blog .

blessings
Raffi
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »

If you are familiar with Assimil, you can purchase Armenian lessons books.

Also, I like this site: http://www.lexilogos.com/english/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:37:45 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »

I'm trying to seek an internship in Istanbul, and if I can at least learn a few phrases to converse with the Armenians of the City just for the heck of it, I'd be thrilled. Could I place my vote for Western, then?

That would be what the Armenians of Istanbul speak, right? Isn't Western based off the spoken dialect of the Politan Armenians?

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2014, 08:31:36 PM »

I'm trying to seek an internship in Istanbul, and if I can at least learn a few phrases to converse with the Armenians of the City just for the heck of it, I'd be thrilled. Could I place my vote for Western, then?

That would be what the Armenians of Istanbul speak, right? Isn't Western based off the spoken dialect of the Politan Armenians?

Yes, you are correct. Western Armenian dialect originated in the dialect spoken in Constantinople.
Here is a list of useful phrases in both Eastern and Western Armenian. Start with this and let me know if you would like more.

http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/armenian.php
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:32:58 PM by Brigidsboy » Logged

CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St Nicholas, the Puncher of Heretics, Pray for us!

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »

Its a little late but I want to hop in. Where are the other lessons for classical Armenian? Only lesson 9 is available.

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Tags: Armenian Church Armenian language 
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: