OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 05:28:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the second coming  (Read 1093 times) Average Rating: 0
NIKODIMOSETHIO

Faith: ORIENTAL CHURCH
Jurisdiction: ETHIOPIAN ORTHODOX

« on: July 07, 2010, 05:13:36 AM »

i think the HOLY BIBLE proves that no body knows the second coming of OUR LORD CHRIST but there is this man named m/r campien on the family radio who says that he know when the second coming of OUR LORD CHRIST is and that it is on may 21 2011
i want to know what the orthodox church would say about this

in CHRIST AMEN   
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:12:59 AM »

No man knows the millennium, century, decade year, month, week, day, hour, minute, or second. There are signs showing the end times for this world, but often there are no signs for our end to this earthly life, so we must live every day as if we are in the last days, as for us, we truly are in our last days.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 08:21:49 AM by Nigula Qian Zishi » Logged

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:02:28 AM »

So assume for the sake of argument that this guy's right...now what? Why worry about something you can't change?
We don't know if or when the world is going to end. Let's just try to make the world a better place today and hope for the best. That's all we can do.

Proverbs 22:7
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »

i think the HOLY BIBLE proves that no body knows the second coming of OUR LORD CHRIST but there is this man named m/r campien on the family radio who says that he know when the second coming of OUR LORD CHRIST is and that it is on may 21 2011

in CHRIST AMEN   

Do you mean Harold Camping of the Family Stations? 

This sort of thing has happened many times.  I recall an Edgar Whisenant and his book 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be in 1988.  But there have been plenty of others. 

Why would one man's idea be so important?  Frankly when the Scriptures say that no one knows when the end will happen, I think that means what it says including people on the radio.  Smiley

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »

You'll probably all think I'm a heretic - but then you do anyway! - but I can't help thinking that if one of these would-be prophets who ignore the Lord's plain statements that the date is unknown really did by chance hit on the right date, God would change the plan.

(But I wouldn't preach such an outrageous idea.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:29:23 PM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »

Why is it so difficult to believe that Christ can lie with a clear conscience. I lie to my kids all the time and feel no remorse what so ever.  laugh  Like when my kids ask for candy in a store. I tell them if they eat that candy there teeth will fall out.  angel I'm clearly lying. What are the chances that one of them will drop a tooth that very moment if they bite into it? close to zero. Now, if I would have stated the same thing in an educated and systematic way.  "candy will ruin your teeth and you will be required to get fillings and quite possible need new teeth in later years" They would look at me, laugh and ask me for the money. Shocked But, because of the shock value of teeth falling out that very moment right after consumption exists. It can sway things in my favor. It's clearly a control tactic. Wink Chances are that the second coming isn't that close. But you never know. Wink

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:18:11 PM »

Chances are that the second coming isn't that close. But you never know.

Quite so.

On a more serious note, I tell people there are three things to watch, without ever being able to know the date of the Coming: the church, the world, the Jews. I do believe that scripture tells of developments we should look for in all those three as signs of the approaching end.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 01:39:46 AM »

I would stop listening to anyone who thinks they know the exact time the world is going to end.

Mathe 24:36
ativan
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Georgian Orthodox Church

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 04:48:11 AM »

He lied.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »

Just ask the 7th Day Adventists...their whole sect is based on incorrect dates for the second coming.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
NIKODIMOSETHIO

Faith: ORIENTAL CHURCH
Jurisdiction: ETHIOPIAN ORTHODOX

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 03:59:59 PM »

HE WAS WRONG (HAROLD)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »

Indeed. We're still here. Keep praying.  angel