Author Topic: "time no longer"  (Read 579 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
"time no longer"
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:24:34 PM »
I just listened to a sermon by Abba Seraphim on time:,25886.msg450852.html#msg450852

In it he quotes from (I think) Revelation 10, which says in part:

"5And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven,

6And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:"

Abba Seraphim indicates that at some point time will cease to exist.  I never thought of that before.  I know that God created time, but it never occurred to me that it would one day just stop.  What does that mean?  What will life be like then?  Can anyone imagine what it would be like without time, or is this one of those things that is a mystery and we should wait until it happens to find out what it will be like?  It just seems so strange.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
Re: "time no longer"
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »

I highly recommend Prof. Bradshaw's article about "Time and Eternity in the Greek Fathers", available in pdf here:
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
Re: "time no longer"
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:15:42 PM »
Blessed Augustine wrote about "Space and Time" in his Confessions. I confess though, that part went right over my head when I read it years ago. :-[

You can read the excerpt at the link below. I haven't revisited it yet, but I will try to read it tonight.

""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+