OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:30:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few questions from someone interested in Orthodox Christianity  (Read 706 times) Average Rating: 0
C1001

« on: July 05, 2010, 02:01:32 PM »

Hi there everyone.

I've been interested in Orthodox Christianity  recently. I currently have no faith, let's say I'm curious with doubts and see Orthodox Christianity as a  possible path to spirituality. Anyway, here are my questions, I'd be really appreciative if someone could answer them for me:

1) What happens to children who die at child birth and never got the opportunity to find out about how to go to heaven?
2) Is accepting Evolution compatible to Orthodox Christianity? Can I accept that Evolution was used to get Humans to their present form?
3) Can I also accept that tales that could not scientifically be true, like Noah's Ark, were say illustrations, and not meant to be literal?

Thanks.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »

Welcome to the forum!  If you click on the tags below, you may find some past discussions that touch on these issues.

Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:35:01 PM »

Hi there everyone.

I've been interested in Orthodox Christianity  recently. I currently have no faith, let's say I'm curious with doubts and see Orthodox Christianity as a  possible path to spirituality. Anyway, here are my questions, I'd be really appreciative if someone could answer them for me:

1) What happens to children who die at child birth and never got the opportunity to find out about how to go to heaven?
2) Is accepting Evolution compatible to Orthodox Christianity? Can I accept that Evolution was used to get Humans to their present form?
3) Can I also accept that tales that could not scientifically be true, like Noah's Ark, were say illustrations, and not meant to be literal?

Thanks.

1.) They are without sin.  Contrary to Western Christianity, Catholic and Protestant, "Original Sin" is not viewed in the same manner as it is in Orthodox Christianity.  Without going into great detail, it is Ancestral Sin, in other words, our own human failing and tendency to sin.  Unbaptized babies do not go to hell (Hell is also viewed very differently in Orthodoxy) and neither do unbaptized adults for all are judged "on what they knew in their hearts".  If someone would help me, I'm attempting to reference this statement of St. Paul in his letter to the Roman's, but do not know the exact verse or chapter. 

2.)Absolutely.  Evolution is only incompatible with Orthodoxy if the outright notion that God does not exist is added.  God can do all and we as Orthodox Christians do not believe the Bible to be infallible.  Science and religion are not foes, they are both of God; as everything in the universe is. 

3.) Yes, when speaking in terms of 'tales'.  The story of Noah's ark, the creation story in Genesis, etc. are not essential to the faith.  The Orthodox Church does not attempt to explicitly explain everything, vainly attempting to know God in his entirety.  We know that God created the universe as well as this world.  Does it really matter how he did it?  No. 

I emphasis 'tales' as if one does not use discretion and reasoning, somethings that are valid, true, and essential such as the Death, Resurrection and Ascension of Christ, the prophecies in the Old Testament, etc. (to name a few) is obviously not compatible with Orthodoxy (or Christianity in general). 

Feel free to contact your local Orthodox Church and speak with a priest.  Knowing many Orthodox priests, you won't be pressured at all and they will be more than happy to answer any and all questions you may have.  I experienced this as a convert myself. 

Welcome!  Hope this helps!  Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. 

Formerly known as "mctavix"
C1001

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »

I found these responses very helpful, and a complete fresh of breath air. Thank you very much.

I would like to get in contact with a nearby church, and I think I may do so now.
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 02:19:03 PM »

http://www.orthodoxyinamerica.org

This is an amazing resource that gives you any and all Orthodox Churches in North America.

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Tags: evolution Flood infant baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: