OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:16:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rediscovering Forgotten Anaphoras  (Read 527 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: July 05, 2010, 08:38:05 AM »

Rediscovering Forgotten Anaphoras
From Saint Mark's Convent, Jerusalem

by Father Dale A. Johnson

In the monastery of Saint Mark in Jerusalem, a Syriac Orthodox Convent associated with the Last Supper of Christ and His Disciples, is a library of  Syriac Manuscripts.

When I arrived in 1980 for the first of three visits I still was able to see some remarkable records through the courtesy of His Eminence Jijawi, Syriac Archbishop of Jerusalem.  In 1982 I returned with  equipment to microfilm manuscripts which were subsequently delivered to the Arthur Voobus Syriac Collection at the Lutheran School of Theology at the University of Chicago where they have languished for 27 years.  As a poor student I was not able to afford to make copies. A few years later Kent Brown from Brigham Young University microfilmed many of the same materials. Recently these microfilms were digitized and put online by BYU ( see http://cpart.byu.edu/files/brown).  I immediately recognized the Syriac lectionary with the shelf number Ms Syr 98 (14). I had specifically microfilmed the colophon. To see the complete lectionary once again filled my soul with joy.

For further reading
http://www.socdigest.org/articles/01jun10.html

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 09:11:30 AM »

Rediscovering Forgotten Anaphoras
From Saint Mark's Convent, Jerusalem

by Father Dale A. Johnson

In the monastery of Saint Mark in Jerusalem, a Syriac Orthodox Convent associated with the Last Supper of Christ and His Disciples, is a library of  Syriac Manuscripts.

When I arrived in 1980 for the first of three visits I still was able to see some remarkable records through the courtesy of His Eminence Jijawi, Syriac Archbishop of Jerusalem.  In 1982 I returned with  equipment to microfilm manuscripts which were subsequently delivered to the Arthur Voobus Syriac Collection at the Lutheran School of Theology at the University of Chicago where they have languished for 27 years.  As a poor student I was not able to afford to make copies. A few years later Kent Brown from Brigham Young University microfilmed many of the same materials. Recently these microfilms were digitized and put online by BYU ( see http://cpart.byu.edu/files/brown).  I immediately recognized the Syriac lectionary with the shelf number Ms Syr 98 (14). I had specifically microfilmed the colophon. To see the complete lectionary once again filled my soul with joy.

For further reading
http://www.socdigest.org/articles/01jun10.html

This is a common lament: funds aren't there to see what is there, and there promises to be a lot.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Syriac Orthodox anaphora 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: