OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:31:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apostolic Succession  (Read 578 times) Average Rating: 0
Scott

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 03, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »

I'm a pretty new convert {Baptized February 27, 2010}, and I'm still learning some of the basic things. I know the Orthodox Church is the only Apostolic Church, but I'm not sure of the details about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bishops of the Church are the successors of all the Apostles, right? So, we can trace those who came after the Apsotles and show that there is an unbroken line? Is that correct?
Anyway, if this is right, is there a book or website you can recommend to demonstrate this?

"To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Confucius
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:54:38 AM »

That's how it goes, in theory. In practice... well, let's just stick to theory...  angel You can find different lists scattered around the net, such as this one. I seem to recall a sight that gave such lists for a number of Orthodox Churches, but can't seem to locate it now.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:02:37 AM »

You can find different lists scattered around the net, such as this one.

It looks like is a list of those who have held the office of Patriarch of Constantinople.  I am under the impression that Apostolic Succession has to do with the "laying on of hands" during the consecration of a new bishop.  Am I in error?
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »

I'm a pretty new convert {Baptized February 27, 2010}, and I'm still learning some of the basic things. I know the Orthodox Church is the only Apostolic Church, but I'm not sure of the details about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bishops of the Church are the successors of all the Apostles, right? So, we can trace those who came after the Apsotles and show that there is an unbroken line? Is that correct?
Anyway, if this is right, is there a book or website you can recommend to demonstrate this?
First, the unbroken line of succession from the Apostles to any present day Orthodox Bishop is only part of Apostolic Succession. A bishop must also have the same faith and teachings of those Apostles and their successors.  This is why bishops outside the Church that can trace succession back to the Apsotles, but teach a change in the faith of the Apostles, do not have Apostolic Succession.

Apostolic Succession is part of what maintains the true faith.  Every bishop with Apostolic Succession is in unity of faith with every other bishop.

As for the line of succession, a bishop is usually ordained a bishop by three or more other bishops, so tracing succession back can take a long time.  I am told that each bishop can do this, but I do not think that it is published anywhere.

There are websites that list all the bishops of  cities back to the Apostles, but not a trace of any bishop  back to the Apostles.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: