OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 04:35:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fathers in the orginal Greek  (Read 828 times)
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« on: July 02, 2010, 09:17:09 PM »

I was wondering if anyone here knew of any sources of the Fathers (specifically St. John Chrysostom) in the original Greek, either in book form or online format. I have a few volumes of the Post-Nicene and Nicene Fathers and would like to see the original Greek. I'd be greatly appreciative of this! Thank you.

(Also, if you know Koine Greek, is it markedly harder to read this material?)
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:55:40 PM »

I was wondering if anyone here knew of any sources of the Fathers (specifically St. John Chrysostom) in the original Greek, either in book form or online format. I have a few volumes of the Post-Nicene and Nicene Fathers and would like to see the original Greek. I'd be greatly appreciative of this! Thank you.

For many centuries, Migne was the main source. You can still use his editions if you want, but, nowadays there are many series that publish critical texts. Just Google "Corpus Christianorum" or "Sources Chrétiennes" - those are the best series. Also, you could check out the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae for some free versions online:
http://www.tlg.uci.edu/demoinfo/demoauthors.php

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 12:50:50 AM »

I am likewise looking for the Greek Fathers (the 'main ones' like Origen, Cyril of Alexandria, Athanasius, John Chrysostom, Basil, Gregory et al.) in Koine.

I have found an eMule file share of Patrologia Graeca, but it's hopeless so far. Since eMule takes forever to actually work.

I also have the Apostolic Fathers in Koine Greek, that I got off of the Christian Classics Ethereal Library.

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.” (Chris Hedges)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:23:46 AM »

You can find Google Books links to all volumes of the Patrologia Graeca here. Here you can find which author is found in which volume.

Here you can find pdf files of most of the works in the PG. You search the author, not the volume.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:28:24 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Tags: Greek  Koine  Holy Fathers  St. John Chrysostom Church Fathers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: