Author Topic: book about Fr. Arseney  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
book about Fr. Arseney
« on: July 02, 2010, 12:04:40 AM »
I have been looking for more books to read.  I went to an Orthodox bookstore/coffee shop in another town.  I have been seeing EVERYWHERE  this book about Fr. Arseney.  it seems to be...following me.... ;)

has abyone read it?  can you please provide a review?

here is the book I SPEAK OF:  http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/books-1-2/literature/9780881411805-vera-bouteneff-trans-father-arseny-1893-1973.html?partner=AF-OCN

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
Re: book about Fr. Arseney
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:07:06 AM »
Absolutely read it.

Click on the tag below for other discussions concerning the book.

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:10:02 AM »
Absolutely read it.

thanks!  I'll pick it up this weekend at Church.

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 05:57:55 PM »
Absolutely read it.

thanks!  I'll pick it up this weekend at Church.
It's an amazing and inspiring book. It was one of the first books I read when I was investigating Orthodoxy and it really opened my eyes to how Orthodox Russians suffered under the Communist Yolk.

In Christ,
Andrew
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 12:49:20 AM »
I picked it up tonight after Vespers.  it looks great, I can't wait to get into it!  (but alas, I HAVE to start my summer reading for school!)

tell me, is this book a true story?

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 01:23:09 AM »
I think it is considered a collection of true stories coming out of the gulags.  Whether Fr. Arseny really existed, however, has been a matter of debate.  His character may have been invented to pull the stories together, or he may be a composite of a few different priests who really existed.  Since the book was written and circulated underground while the Soviet Union was still in existence, the real names of the people involved in the stories would not have been used.  That would include the priest or priests involved in the stories.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 01:41:54 AM »
I think it is considered a collection of true stories coming out of the gulags.  Whether Fr. Arseny really existed, however, has been a matter of debate.  His character may have been invented to pull the stories together, or he may be a composite of a few different priests who really existed.  Since the book was written and circulated underground while the Soviet Union was still in existence, the real names of the people involved in the stories would not have been used.  That would include the priest or priests involved in the stories.

If I may piggyback on your answer, Salpy:

I have heard and read the same thing (which really doesn't prove or disprove anything).  In light of the argument that Fr. Arseny wasn't a real priest, or that Arseny wasn't his real name (I personally believe he is real and that his Ekklesiastical name was Arseny), it might help to view the book in the same vein as "The Way of a Pilgrim".  We don't know who the Pilgrim was, or even if he was.  But the spiritual insights provided in the book are amazing and beneficial for us to read.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 02:39:10 AM »
A real treasure of a book and one that was the instrument used by God to bring two Russians I know back to an active life in the Church.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is fairly typical.

Fr Ambrose

Offline Nigula Qian Zishi

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
    • Orthodox Ecclesiology and The World
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 11:08:23 AM »
Yes he was real and you can visit his burial site in Russia.
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客