OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 03:06:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: book about Fr. Arseney  (Read 912 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: July 02, 2010, 12:04:40 AM »

I have been looking for more books to read.  I went to an Orthodox bookstore/coffee shop in another town.  I have been seeing EVERYWHERE  this book about Fr. Arseney.  it seems to be...following me.... Wink

has abyone read it?  can you please provide a review?

here is the book I SPEAK OF:  http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/books-1-2/literature/9780881411805-vera-bouteneff-trans-father-arseny-1893-1973.html?partner=AF-OCN

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:07:06 AM »

Absolutely read it.

Click on the tag below for other discussions concerning the book.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:10:02 AM »

Absolutely read it.

thanks!  I'll pick it up this weekend at Church.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 05:57:55 PM »

Absolutely read it.

thanks!  I'll pick it up this weekend at Church.
It's an amazing and inspiring book. It was one of the first books I read when I was investigating Orthodoxy and it really opened my eyes to how Orthodox Russians suffered under the Communist Yolk.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 12:49:20 AM »

I picked it up tonight after Vespers.  it looks great, I can't wait to get into it!  (but alas, I HAVE to start my summer reading for school!)

tell me, is this book a true story?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 01:23:09 AM »

I think it is considered a collection of true stories coming out of the gulags.  Whether Fr. Arseny really existed, however, has been a matter of debate.  His character may have been invented to pull the stories together, or he may be a composite of a few different priests who really existed.  Since the book was written and circulated underground while the Soviet Union was still in existence, the real names of the people involved in the stories would not have been used.  That would include the priest or priests involved in the stories.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 01:41:54 AM »

I think it is considered a collection of true stories coming out of the gulags.  Whether Fr. Arseny really existed, however, has been a matter of debate.  His character may have been invented to pull the stories together, or he may be a composite of a few different priests who really existed.  Since the book was written and circulated underground while the Soviet Union was still in existence, the real names of the people involved in the stories would not have been used.  That would include the priest or priests involved in the stories.

If I may piggyback on your answer, Salpy:

I have heard and read the same thing (which really doesn't prove or disprove anything).  In light of the argument that Fr. Arseny wasn't a real priest, or that Arseny wasn't his real name (I personally believe he is real and that his Ekklesiastical name was Arseny), it might help to view the book in the same vein as "The Way of a Pilgrim".  We don't know who the Pilgrim was, or even if he was.  But the spiritual insights provided in the book are amazing and beneficial for us to read.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 02:39:10 AM »

A real treasure of a book and one that was the instrument used by God to bring two Russians I know back to an active life in the Church.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is fairly typical.

Fr Ambrose
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 11:08:23 AM »

Yes he was real and you can visit his burial site in Russia.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tags: Fr. Arseny 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: