OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:53:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical Homily: What are they and when do we chant them?  (Read 667 times) Average Rating: 0
Lenexa

Faith: Old Orthodox

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS, DEUS ADERIT

« on: July 01, 2010, 06:47:55 PM »

May the Peace and Blessings of our Lord be with you all!
Recently I purchased the Gospel Commentary from the Old Orthodox Church of the Nativity in Erie (ROCOR) which contains the liturgical homilies read during Matins. I have provided a link below:
https://securehost85.hrwebservices.net/~cotn//shopping/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=162&osCsid=dd591e61a01037bdec7af7cdf701cd84
However on the CD I recently bought called "Of Thy Mystical Supper:The Russian Old Rite Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom in Znamenny Chant," that is now available from the Russian Orthodox Old Rite Church in Gervais, Oregon the Liturgical Homily is chanted at the end of the Liturgy?
However this may just be done for the CD recording and not in actual practice? I don't know?
You can hear a few audio clips here:
http://www.synaxis.info/psalom/pages/CD/new_cd.html
You can buy it online here:
http://orthodoxincense.com/bookstore_080208_1.html
Really beautiful Znamenny Chant in Church Slavonic!
Does anyone know anymore about what Liturgical Homilies are? Is this practice now limited to the Russian Orthodox Church? by that I mean within the last few hundred years as I know the Gospel Commentary and the practice of Liturgical Homilies did not originate in Russia. Does anyone know more about when the Liturgical Homily is to be read?
From the CD that came with my purchase of the Gospel Commentary the Homily is instructed to be broken into sections and read after various Odes of the Canon at Matins.
Should this practice of reading the Liturgical Homilies be more commonly used amongst Non-Russian-Old-Rite parishes (pretty much 99% of Orthodox parishes) for the benefit of the laity?
Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »

My knowledge of Matins is rather scant but, as I understand it, the homily is one of the widespread omissions in new rite parishes, where the only one that is commonly done is at Matins of Pascha, (the famous one of St John Chrysostom), and even that is read rather than chanted.  Our brothers and sisters of the Old Rite really are much more faithful in these matters.

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »

My knowledge of Matins is rather scant but, as I understand it, the homily is one of the widespread omissions in new rite parishes, where the only one that is commonly done is at Matins of Pascha, (the famous one of St John Chrysostom), and even that is read rather than chanted.  Our brothers and sisters of the Old Rite really are much more faithful in these matters.

Yah...this is basically not done at all, in just about any church.  Like you said, there are still some Old Rite churches that do it, but it's just not the norm anymore. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:15:52 AM »

At an All-night Vigil for a Sunday, the Typicon calls for lessons to be read seven times, and at a festal vigil, six: at the end of Vespers, at Matins after the first and second kathismata, follwing the polyeleos, following the third and sixth odes of the canon, and at the end of Matins (the latter only on Sunday). The purpose of these readings is exhortation and instruction, while at the same time they serve for the refreshment of the memory and the relaxation of the body, since they are listened to while sitting. The first reading is an excerpt from the Holy Scriptures (from the book of the Acts of the Apostles or from the Apostolic epistles); the next four readings are taken from patristic commentaries concerning the excerpt which was read; the sixth is taken from the lives of the saints; and the seventh, a moral-ascetical "catecheses," is taken from the writings of Ven. Theodore the Studite.

——《Liturgics》Archbishop Averky

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,23396.msg362204.html#msg362204
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »

The Church of the Nativity also have a CD called 'How to chant the Commentary'. It stipulates that the lesson is divided into 3 or 4 parts. When Matins is celebrated on its own: part 1 is read after the kathismata, part 2 after the 3rd Ode, part 3 after the 6th Ode. When there is a Vigil: part 1 is read after the Artoklasia at the end of Vespers, part 2 after the Polyeleos, part 3 after the 3rd Ode, part 4 after the 6th Ode.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: