OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 08:47:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonsure Readers  (Read 1747 times) Average Rating: 0
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« on: February 23, 2006, 05:47:04 PM »

Dear Brethren,

When someone is tonsured a Reader what role does the tonsure play? Besides being a significant rite which expresses that you are now a part of the minor clergy by receiving this clerical tonsure, and that you should consider yourself cut off from worldliness, does the tonsure fulfill any further purpose? Do tonsured Readers ever attempt to retain the significance of their tonsure by continuing to wear it? Or is this unheard of? If so, what does the tonsure look like. Obviously it is not the Latin Church's style which reminds me of pictures of St. Francis. I have read the total shaving of the head is considered a tonsure in the Eastern Churches. Any thoughts on this?

Trusting in Christ's Light,
Wm. Ghazar Der-Ghazarian

Orthodox Evangelization Mission
www.geocities.com/derghazar/OEM

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 07:56:16 PM »

Do tonsured Readers ever attempt to retain the significance of their tonsure by continuing to wear it? Or is this unheard of? If so, what does the tonsure look like. Obviously it is not the Latin Church's style which reminds me of pictures of St. Francis. I have read the total shaving of the head is considered a tonsure in the Eastern Churches.

I have witnessed a few tonsurings done in OCA churches. As to how it was done, the bishop merely trimmed a few wisps of hair, about half an inch to an inch in length from the front, back and sides of the head. Because such a small amount of hair is trimmed, the tonsuring doesn't have particular "look" to it and is hardly noticeable.

Hope this helps!  Smiley
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 10:07:09 AM »

My understanding of the early Church (though I could be wrong) is that the hair was noticeably shorn (perhaps completely, perhaps in the form of a cross) so as to remind the newly tonsured that he needed to be willing to endure shame for the sake of Christ.  This probably kept the newly-tonsured from having their heads in the clouds regarding their election and kept thier feet planted humbly on the ground.

When Abp. +DMITRI tonsured me, he did what Arystarcus said--trimmed unnoticeable bits from the front, back, and sides of my head, saying that our hair was given to us as a protection against the elements, and that our hair was our offering to God--perhaps putting our protection once again into the hands of Him who gave us the protection in the first place?

Rdr. David

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:12:17 AM »

One of the explanations that is typically given at the different tonsurings (baptism, reader, etc.) is that we are giving of the one thing that God does not take but asks for us to give willingly - ourselves.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »

Yes, he usually cuts crosswise, but not in a noticeable manner.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »

Dear Brethren,

When someone is tonsured a Reader what role does the tonsure play? Besides being a significant rite which expresses that you are now a part of the minor clergy by receiving this clerical tonsure, and that you should consider yourself cut off from worldliness, does the tonsure fulfill any further purpose? Do tonsured Readers ever attempt to retain the significance of their tonsure by continuing to wear it? Or is this unheard of? If so, what does the tonsure look like. Obviously it is not the Latin Church's style which reminds me of pictures of St. Francis. I have read the total shaving of the head is considered a tonsure in the Eastern Churches. Any thoughts on this?

Trusting in Christ's Light,
Wm. Ghazar Der-Ghazarian

Orthodox Evangelization Mission
www.geocities.com/derghazar/OEM

I'm not sure what you mean by "cut off from worldliness." At baptism/chrismation, there is a tonsure. And readers are tonsured. But neither are a monastic tonsure. We are "cut off from worldliness" as befits all Christians, but not in some greater sense. We still live in the world and are not distinguished outside church by special dress or actions. Our "setting apart" is for the church work we are given to do.

Reader John

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: