Author Topic: Learning Latin.  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Raylight

• Archon
  • Faith: Catholic.
Learning Latin.
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:06:13 PM »
It is summer, and I want to learn something.

English is my second language as you know, but I'm kind of ready to go and learn another language, after thinking about it, I want to learn Latin. Because turns out that learning Latin will improve my English regarding vocabulary and grammar. Plus it will be more easy for me to learn other languages in the future such as French, Italian and Spanish. Also it is the language that used in the past for all kind of intellectual institutions and religious institutions in the West. I'm fascinated by the Western civilization, history, tradition and theology, so learning this language will open the door for me.

It is almost impossible for me to find classes in my country for learning Latin. So I will depend on books and online courses.

Do you have any advices that might help me ?  :) ;)

Offline Ekdikos

• Elder
Re: Learning Latin.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »
It is almost impossible for me to find classes in my country for learning Latin. So I will depend on books and online courses.

There are no medical or law schools in your country? Or Roman Catholic smeinaries?

Offline Syriac.Aramaic

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »
Learn aramaic, one of the oldest language in the world and it was spoken by jesus himself.
Thanks to my aramic i speak six other language and i can easily say that the aramaic language has helped me a lot with the other languages.
Rejoice in the joy of our god.

Offline Raylight

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:03:53 PM »
Do you have any advices that might help me ?  :) ;)

There are no medical or law schools in your country? Or Roman Catholic smeinaries?

Of course there are medical schools and law schools in my country.

I do know that medical terms are coming from the Latin language, the same as in Law. But I don't live in English speaking country nor in any country that speaks a language originated from Latin.

The Roman Catholic Churches here are not interested in teaching the Latin language to people, as I've mentioned, I don't live in a Western country, so therefor Latin language is irrelevant even for the Catholic laity.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:07:05 PM by Raylight »

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Merarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
Raylight, what is your native language?  I'm a Latin teacher and I can probably help you to find books written in your language to help.

Offline Ekdikos

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »

I do know that medical terms are coming from the Latin language, the same as in Law. But I don't live in English speaking country nor in any country that speaks a language originated from Latin.

The Roman Catholic Churches here are not interested in teaching the Latin language to people, as I've mentioned, I don't live in a Western country, so therefor Latin language is irrelevant even for the Catholic laity.
::)
I wanted to say, such schools have Latin courses. In most of World, Latin language is avaliable at sceondary schools, and in every case on University level. Especialy in Theological, Law and Medical schools.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:12:51 PM by Ekdikos »

Offline Raylight

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »
Raylight, what is your native language?  I'm a Latin teacher and I can probably help you to find books written in your language to help.

I will email it to you then.

I'm careful not to mention my native language in the public forum :)

Offline Raylight

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »

::)
I wanted to say, such schools have Latin courses. In most of World, Latin language is avaliable at sceondary schools, and in every case on University level. Especialy in Theological, Law and Medical schools.

Aha, that is an idea. I might go to the medical school and ask about it. Thank you :)

Offline Raylight

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »
Learn aramaic, one of the oldest language in the world and it was spoken by jesus himself.
Thanks to my aramic i speak six other language and i can easily say that the aramaic language has helped me a lot with the other languages.

It would be very nice to speak the language Jesus Christ himself spoke it. But it is an Eastern language, one of the Semitic languages, and that won't help me regarding learning about Western culture and languages :(

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Aujourd'hui, maman est morte. Ou peut-être hier, je ne sais pas.
  • Taxiarches
  • A Communist who doesn´t believe in Communism...
  • Faith: Strong Atheist
  • Jurisdiction: Philosophical Positions Below Signature
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »
My Philosophical Positions:

-Marxism, Anarchism, Communism

-Empiricism, Rationalism, Analytic Philosophy, Naturalism

-Humanism, Existentialism, Altruism