OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 05:30:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is written on this icon  (Read 1389 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: June 29, 2010, 11:45:18 PM »

Can anyone make out the Cyrillic text on the Gospel?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:05:01 AM »

"Господь вседержитель" = "Almighty Lord".
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:10:26 AM »

The text on the Gospel is too small for me to read.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »

Samkin, I checked out other"Господь вседержитель" icons, and the Gospel text is: "Come unto me all ye who labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest".

Try this link: http://www.icon-art.ru/spas.php  you will find here many versions of the same icon and if you click on them, you can enlarge them to a decent size which enables you to read the text properly.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:31:22 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »

Samkin, I checked out other"Господь вседержитель" icons, and the Gospel text is: "Come unto me all ye who labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest".

"Господь вседержитель"  in Church Slavonic is a translation for the Greek Pantocrator.

This is a varient icon of Christ Pantocrator (Greek for Almighty) type.  Pantocrator is taken from Rev.1:18: “I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord Who is, and Who was, and Who is to come, the Almighty" (Pantocrator in Greek).

In some icons of Christ, Pantocrator, He is holding a closed Gospel book while in others like this one He is holding an open Gospel book. The icon with the open Gospel is also called “Christ the Teacher”  or “Christ the Judge” depending on the Biblical verse.

Because the image is blurred those of us here who can read Church Slavonic cannot make out the Gospel verse.

Here are just some of the various Gospel verses on the icons of “Christ the Teacher” or "Christ the Judge".
1) “I am the Alpha and Omega.” Rev. 1 :18

2.  Christ the Judge: “For if you forgive others the wrongs they have done, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you.” Matthew 6:14.

3.  Christ the Judge: “Judge not according to appearances, but judge righteous judgment.”  John 7:24 & John 7:2.

4. “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  For my yoke is light.” Matthew  28:30.

5.  “I am the Light of the World.” John 8: 12.

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »

I didn't realize there were different possible texts, but when I went back to the link I posted, I noticed that indeed, while most of them were Matthew 28:30, there were a few others as well, so the particular icon pictured here may very well not have Matthew 28:30- as its text. Samkin, can you give us the link to this icon. Is it possible to enlarge it somehow, or find a clearer version?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »

The One I Have Say's ,Greater Love Has No Man, Than To give his Life for His fellow Man........ Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 01:18:49 PM »

The One I Have Say's ,Greater Love Has No Man, Than To give his Life for His fellow Man........ Grin

That verse is a relatively recent one for Pantocrator icons.  I have seen some American Catholic painters using it on their icons in English.  Sorry, I can't remember the name of the guy, but he has a web site.

Is the text on the Gospel in your icon in Church Slavonic or Greek?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:20:37 PM by Orest » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 01:24:47 PM »

I found the website where this icon is sold, and noticed that it is possible to ask questions via email, so I sent them an email just now, asking them to tell me the text on this icon. I'll be awaiting their reply, and if I hear from them, I'll let everyone here know the answer!

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »

That verse is a relatively recent one for Pantocrator icons.  I have seen some American Catholic painters using it on their icons in English.  Sorry, I can't remember the name of the guy, but he has a web site.

No! Not Roman Or Eastern Catholic,Late Mother of [Blessed Memory] and [Memory Eternal], Got It From The Serbian Orthodox Church....... Grin In Church Slavonic....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 05:28:39 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »

That verse is a relatively recent one for Pantocrator icons.  I have seen some American Catholic painters using it on their icons in English.  Sorry, I can't remember the name of the guy, but he has a web site.

No! Not Roman Or Eastern Catholic,Late Mother of [Blessed Memory] and [Memory Eternal], Got It From The Serbian Orthodox Church....... Grin In Church Slavonic....

Thanks for the correction.  I should qualify my use of the word "recent" meaning the last 100 or so years. Especially around the time of WW1. Not found in Medieval iconographer's manuals.  But I stand to be corrected.  There is nothing new under the sun.

I even saw a Catholic version of the "Virgin of perpetual Help" based on our Orthodox icon of the "Theotokos of the Passion" for sale at the back of an Orthodox Church.   
An even newer version is a Pantocrator icon of Christ with the Gospel reading text: "I am the good shepherd" and a sheep around Christ's neck.  Do you know how many Catholic churches have the name "Church of the Good Shepherd".
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:01:45 AM »

I even saw a Catholic version of the "Virgin of perpetual Help" based on our Orthodox icon of the "Theotokos of the Passion" for sale at the back of an Orthodox Church.   

What is the difference between them?
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 07:42:57 PM »

What is the difference between them?

The Orthodox icon has the Virgin dressed in a blue inner tunic and red outer maphorion, in the Our Lady of Perpetual Help, the colors are reversed. Many RC versions of a "naturalistic" style show the Virgin and Child with "sweet" expressions on their faces, almost as if they are smiling. This is quite wrong, unfortunately. In some versions, the Virgin might only bear one star of perpetual virginity, not the customary three required in Orthodox iconography.  Also, the RC versions show the Virgin wearing a crown, something which is not part of proper Orthodox iconographic tradition.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 10:47:17 PM »

Also, the RC versions show the Virgin wearing a crown, something which is not part of proper Orthodox iconographic tradition.

Except that many Orthodox icons of the Theotokos do have crowns on them. But this has been discussed elsewhere.

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 10:53:58 AM »

Samkim, I am happy to confirm,upon communication with the monastery,  that the text on the Gospel Book is from Matthew 28:30:  "Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Hope that helps!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 10:56:57 AM by Rosehip » Logged

samkim
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 12:32:32 PM »

Thanks!

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 03:08:16 PM »

Thanks!

You're welcome! Smiley

PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 07:21:59 PM »

I have a friend who has just asked me the same question.  I think the writing on the icon matches this one from the link Rosehip gave:

http://www.icon-art.ru/icons/icon433.php 

Does anyone know what it says?

Thanks!
IreneOlinyk

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »

I have a friend who has just asked me the same question.  I think the writing on the icon matches this one from the link Rosehip gave:

Thanks!
No the icon that Rosehip is talking about has this Bible verse:
“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  For my yoke is light.” Matthew  28:30.

I just can't remember the Bible verse something about  commanding us to love.
The web site is by a woman iconographer.  She does beautiful work.  Another more modern choice.  But a beautiful icon.  I was reading somewhere than women are the majority of iconographers now.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 07:59:01 PM »

Thanks!

John 13:34  A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »

Thanks!

John 13:34  A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Thanks Rosehip.
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: