OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:21:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: music  (Read 653 times) Average Rating: 0
NIKODIMOSETHIO

Faith: ORIENTAL CHURCH
Jurisdiction: ETHIOPIAN ORTHODOX

« on: June 29, 2010, 06:58:45 AM »

i have been listning to coptic songs (arabic) and i feel like happy. by the way i used to like indian and arabic musics (not spritual).and when i found this coptic songs i deleted all the songs(which r not spritual) from my mobile and i am listining to the coptic (arabic) songs
now the problem is the people i know think that the coptic (not knowing that it is of coptic) songs that i downloaded r not spiritual  coz they use the piano....... but here only the protestant and the catholics use the piano, sacsphon, gitar....... the ethi ortho does not allow these instruments
so please give me some idea onthis

especially you Ethiopian orthodox Christians

thank u
 GOD bless u all
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »

Can you give us an example of the songs you are listening to? Or better still a link?

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
NIKODIMOSETHIO

Faith: ORIENTAL CHURCH
Jurisdiction: ETHIOPIAN ORTHODOX

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 08:23:45 AM »

most of the time i listen to FARUZ'S SONGS

THE WEB IS www.st-takla.com

pray for me father,
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:19:15 AM »

I don't think Fairuz is Coptic.  I think she is Lebanese Catholic, although one of her parents was Syriac Orthodox. 

She's a wonderful singer, and some of her music is very spiritual, even though it may not be the sort of music that would be sung during a liturgy.  I don't think there should be a problem with spiritual music outside of church being performed with instruments accompanying it.

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:24:44 AM »

Fairuz has been discussed a little bit before:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,2943.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26017.msg441030.html#msg441030

Hiywot

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 08:20:18 AM »

..... but here only the protestant and the catholics use the piano, sacsphon, gitar....... the ethi ortho does not allow these instruments
so please give me some idea onthis

especially you Ethiopian orthodox Christians

thank u
 GOD bless u all

Here is a very good reference on the subject you raised. If you are living in Addis, you can find this reference at any “Mahibere Qidusan bookshop” or you can borrow it. It is a “Nehase 2001 E.C.” issue of the Amharic journal of “Hamere Tewahido”. In this journal you will find an article titled “Spiritual songs and musical instruments” written by Deacon Zelalem and Deacon Daniel. This article gives a 20 pages in-depth analysis of musical instruments in the church, its history and its implications for spirituality.

I hope you will be satisfied with what is written there. But to add my own view, one of the reasons for prohibiting the use of modern musical instruments by our church is to just maintain our Tewahido tradition. Modern instruments tend to destroy the “Yaredal” flavor as Yaredal songs are difficult to sing in either the diatonic or pentatonic scales of modern music. Therefore, we even use the traditional musical instruments for the non-Yaredal Tewahido songs only.

Hiywot

Tags: Fairuz 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: