OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:10:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Provocative article "Satanism in the Russian Church"  (Read 2494 times) Average Rating: 0
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: June 28, 2010, 11:43:37 PM »

The following article came up in Google News.
It looks like a typical provocative conspiracy article, however the reliquary (desnitsa) for St George's hand does look really weird!

Сатанизм в РПЦ МП. «Освяти руку твою ударом...»
http://3rm.info/religion/3803-satanizm-v-rpc-mp.html

A highly abridged English version is here:
http://beforeitsnews.com/news/86/885/Satanism_in_the_Russian_Orthodox_Church.html

The site has a photo of Dept. of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge with the hand sign.
Ridge was baptized in St. John Byzantine Catholic Cathedral, Pittsburgh.

I would really like some objective commentary.
Lichnidos
Warned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Powerslavlje strong in this one is.

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »

Like I said on the last thread, it's definitely not like any relic structure I've seen before. But it leaves a lot to interpretation.

Besides, doesn't the relic of the Saint "trump" the vessel in which it is being cased? In other words, what ever the shape of the case, it doesn't change the fact that what is inside of it is Holy and Edifying.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:20:02 AM by Lichnidos » Logged

"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable." - G.K. Chesterton
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:26:07 AM »

I think I'll archive this with all the other articles out there that make Russia/Russian Orthodoxy out to be weird and outlandish. Funny how it's only the strange stuff that is brought to attention.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »

Besides, doesn't the relic of the Saint "trump" the vessel in which it is being cased? In other words, what ever the shape of the case, it doesn't change the fact that what is inside of it is Holy and Edifying.

Very good point.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:11:19 PM »

I looked up a few more things on the 'Satan's hand sign' and was surprised to see the hand sign for the Deaf "I love you" as listed as one of these signs. **shakes head**

What gets me more is that for those of us who are old enough - this sign came out of the hard rock generation. . . and has also been used to signify the bull horns of those Texan's 'down that way apiece' in the US.  The sign for the deaf and the sign for the bull horns is OLDER than the sign for the hard rock insignia for what's his face.  People can ascribe anything to anything to inflame anyone.

My first thought when I saw the icon wasn't Satan, but the thought that perhaps the casing was placed in the exact placement of the fingers once rigor mortis set in.  Who knows.  But I know that Holy is Holy and more so than we.  Thanks be to God.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:57:44 PM »

May I ask, why is this being discussed on the Foreign Languages section?

Love never fails.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:28:38 PM »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:29:08 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 10:34:41 PM »

Вибачтe, цe нe пeрeконує. Я так собі гадав, що на сeкції "Інозeмні мови" трeба говорити інозeмними мовами, тобто нe англійською. На підсeкції "Cлов"янські мови" трeба говорити слов"янськими мовами. Мeні дійсно дивно, що дописувачі цього сайту, які є пeрeважно амeриканці, мають настільки розмитe поняття про тe, що є інозeмні мови і для чого на вeб-форумах потрібні сeкції інозeмних мов, що вони пхають у ці сeкції "трeтьої свіжості" "обговорeння" (а точнішe пeрeжовування) чудeрнацьких "тeм," які вжe пeрeжовувалися і пeрe-пeрeжовувалися дeіндe. Cheesy

Love never fails.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »

Because the full article is in the Russian language, so to understand it and discuss it best, one would need to know Russian.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 11:08:32 PM »

Because the full article is in the Russian language, so to understand it and discuss it best, one would need to know Russian.

But there was no discussion in Russian here, in this section. So, if we find a link in Spanish, or German, or Japanese, or in any other language other than English, should we discuss it here, in the Foreign Language section of OC.net? What's the purpose of having this section then, as we all can find whatever in any language and discuss it? Especially given that nowadays computers provide pretty much anyone with an opportunity to translate and comprehend anything, regardless of in what language it has been published?

Love never fails.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 12:03:59 AM »

1. Personally, I wouldn't prefer to have a system where on English threads you can ONLY type English and in Russian threads you can only type Russian. This is the Russian forum, and on the foreign language forums, English speakers who don't know a language often ask what an article means in English to understand it better. This very odd article is one such case.

2. I do speak Russian, but not 100%. This article is in Russian, but it is strange and complicated. So to understand it, I want to find other people who know Russian and can explain it in English.

Be good, my friend.
Bud dobr, moy drug.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:04:34 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 08:38:18 AM »

Be good, my friend.
Bud dobr, moy drug.

"Bud' dobr" is not translated as "be good." It's an idiom, meaning "please do," or "do me a favor." Smiley

Love never fails.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »

Be good, my friend.
Bud dobr, moy drug.

"Bud' dobr" is not translated as "be good." It's an idiom, meaning "please do," or "do me a favor." Smiley

Thanks, and how to say it right?

Now you see why I need to write English on the Russian forum Smiley

Regards.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 07:42:52 PM »

Be good, my friend.
Bud dobr, moy drug.

Thanks, and how to say it right?

Now you see why I need to write English on the Russian forum Smiley

Regards.

Hmmm. I think "be kind" is best translated into Russian as "будь добрым" (bud' dobrym). Although if I meant to tell someone to be kind, in the sense "show more kindness," I would say "будь добрee," or "надо быть добрee," or "был бы ты добрee."

Love never fails.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »

"Highly abridged" is certainly correct! There is nothing there!
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »

Stranno OChen'. Ya ne podozreval ,chtoby poklonyalis' sataninskomu znaku.  Gospodi POmilui. I izbav' nas ot vsiakoi duri
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »

Isn't that reliquary an ancient one and from Athos? I suppose they hadn't heard then about Dio, had they?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
gonefishing
Banned

Faith: None

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 03:06:12 AM »

All these symbolism things and the hand signs (and rationalization thereof) are from a book called Codex Magica: http://www.amazon.com/Codex-Magica-Mysterious-Symbols-Illuminati/dp/1930004044/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1338102109&sr=8-25, which asserts they're satanic and that satanism is at the very top levels of government.  My neighbor has this book and lent it to me for a couple weeks.  Very interesting read, especially if you're into conspiracy theorism.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: