Author Topic: Prayers for Church Camp  (Read 4989 times)

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Prayers for Church Camp
« on: June 27, 2010, 11:07:12 PM »

I am teaching VBS/Church Camp this week - from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. each day.

This is the third summer I am doing this.

The first year we had 8 children, 2nd 14.  This year I put a limit of 12 children.
I take a week off of work (vacation) and teach the kids.  The crafts are often sold by the dozen.  I have always lost money on the venture and money is hard to come by these days.  Therefore, instead of ordering 24 items for 14 kids and wasting the rest, I limited the class to 12.

However, I cannot say "no" to save my life!  Pre-registration was over 2 weeks ago, and this week alone I've had 3 families approach me.

As of today, I am expecting 17 kids tomorrow (...and maybe more).  I've run to the local craft store and picked up more items, so the crafts should be okay.

Each year I put together a booklet for the kids to "study" from.  This year's them is "the Light of Christ."  I plan to review all the references from the Bible - Psalms, etc...plus the Gospel... don't hide your candle under a bushel, etc.  It's over 100 pages long!  Thank God I printed and spiral bound 20 copies.

In addition to the lessons of the kids being "instructed" by Christ to be like candles, and take His Light into the dark world, I have incorporated various "light" related topics - just for fun.  Kids get bored really easily, and you don't want to throw too much theology there way.  Therefore, we will cover other light topics - the Holy Fire in Jerusalem (plus various Orthodox miracles); Lightning; Electricity (Tesla - of course); Aurora Borealis; Fireflies; and why do Wintergreen Lifesavors spark.  I will actually have them all go to the ladies room (yes, boys too) and stand before the large mirror and chomp on lifesavors.

I also will make a point of how kids can dim their light - and this will lead me into proper ettiquette, facebook, drugs, alcohol, manner, language, etc.

I sooooo want to teach the kids to be "good" Orthodox.  I want to give them some tools for their toolkit that they can pull out and use against peer pressure of all kinds.  To do this, I plan on having them walk through skits and how they would handle the cool kids pressuring them to smoke, etc.

Anyway...I have these lofty plans for the week.  I want to make a difference.  I want the kids not only to have fun, but, to LEARN!  By keeping it "fun" the kids hopefully will be more open to the learning/scholarly portion of the day.

I also plan on cooking lessons (church has a nice kitchen), icon painting (porcelain icons), making candles (votives to take home, and dipped candle tapers taht I plan to have them light in church next Sunday), water fun outside, games, and even though it is the Apostle's Fast, I have ordered an Ice Cream truck for Friday's finale.

I ask your prayers that my class be a success.  That none of the children get hurt.  That the kids learn how to properly behave and how to shine with Christ's Light in this dark world.

I am really nervous for some reason.  I always feel inadequate and as if I have forgotten something! 

I have complete faith that God hears all our prayers, and I appreciate any and all prayers!

Thanks so much!

Have a great week everyone (as I most likely won't be online much this week.)   ;)

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Re: Prayers for Church Camp
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 11:42:21 PM »

I am teaching VBS/Church Camp this week - from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. each day.

This is the third summer I am doing this.

The first year we had 8 children, 2nd 14.  This year I put a limit of 12 children.
I take a week off of work (vacation)

You burn a week of vacation to enrich the lives of our young children with the Holy Traditions of Jesus Christ and His Church.  God bless you, sister!  Such dedication; such love for your faith!  May the Lord richly bless you and your endeavors.  :)
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
Lord have Mercy.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 12:32:53 PM »
My compliments to you for using your vacation (which is supposed to be your "me time") to enrich the lives of Orthodox children.  Many blessings to you for that.  And I, too, know how hard it is to say "no" to people! ;D

Lord, have mercy on thy servant and grant Lyza the strength and the wisdom to teach and impart the faith to these youngsters that they grow to be faithful servants.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 12:40:39 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 01:36:07 PM »
God bless you and reward you for your selfless efforts, Liza!!
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Love never fails.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 01:46:23 PM »
Prayers to the Lord of the harvest for the laborer He has chosen. Lord, have mercy.
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »
Господе Помилуј...Амин
Lord Have Mercy....Amen
Gospode Pomiluj....Amin

Blagoslovi Bozhe......Amin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 02:08:56 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Not all who wander are lost.