OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 03:13:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did these OT people write these books?  (Read 1769 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: February 01, 2004, 02:17:30 PM »

Moses is by tradition the author of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy (see, however, my previous post about the last book). But there seems to be no proof for this. Indeed, one of the books describes Moses' death. So, do we really have an idea who wrote the books?

NULL
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 02:49:48 PM »

Is there any need to dispute the traditional authorship of these writings?

Both our Lord and the Apostles all refer the books of the Law to Moses. That seems proof enough to me.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 03:24:48 PM »

Where does Jesus specifically say that the books were written by Moses?

I am not saying that Moses didn't write down laws from God, but do wonder if it's true that he penned all 5 books as we know them today.

NULL
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 03:56:11 PM »

Hiya

"Did not Moses give you the law"

"If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?"

"These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me."

This last passage especially divides the OT into the Pentateuch (the Law), the prophets and the psalms. The Law doesn't mean the 10 commandments, and doesn't mean the extended laws of the Pentateuch but stands for those 5 books. I am sure Br Max can expand with a great deal more insight and information.

Just as no Jew would have doubted that Moses wrote the Pentateuch, so there was no doubt among the Lord and his Apostles.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 05:34:59 PM »

The part about Moses' death could have been added on by Joshua, his successor, as an addendum.  I too have seen no reason to doubt the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch.  The testimony of Christ is good enough for me also.  Smiley

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 02:08:27 PM »

The only reason for picking at Moses as the Author of the Torah is to dispute the validity of the content there of.  Discredit the author - and you discredit his work.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 05:01:18 AM »

Both our Lord and the Apostles all refer the books of the Law to Moses. That seems proof enough to me.

Do you still believe this? Also, do you also believe that Peter wrote 2 Peter, John wrote 3 John, etc.?

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »

the Church knows what its talking about.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »

Moses is by tradition the author of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy (see, however, my previous post about the last book). But there seems to be no proof for this. Indeed, one of the books describes Moses' death. So, do we really have an idea who wrote the books?
I think the ancients had a different, more expansive, idea of 'authorship' than literal-minded moderns.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »

Does Fr. Peter?

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »

Does Fr. Peter?

i dunno, i dont know him. if he is in line with the Tradition of the Church, then yes, he does.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 11:52:23 AM »

I think the ancients had a different, more expansive, idea of 'authorship' than literal-minded moderns.

Bingo.  Authorship at the time of the writing of the NT did not mean that there was at one time an autographed manuscript by the person the writing is ascribed to but, rather, that the content and rhetoric employed in the writing could have come from the mind/mouth/hand of that person.  Two thousand years ago, I could have written a "Letter from Dave" (a very close friend of mine) that he would've gladly put his signature on, so to speak, because I know what he believes and would say about a given subject and I'm also rather adept at phrasing it in the same way he would put it.  It would not be considered fraud by anyone back then nor should it be. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »

This. Frankly, I don't care who wrote anything in the Scriptures. Many of them we don't know, and a lot of it is disputed by "modern scholarship."

The point isn't that these books were penned by exactly who we say they are and haven't changed one bit since. The Bible is not a Qur'an. The point is that the books of Scripture are deemed to be Orthodox in their teaching and found profitable to be read in the divine services for the edification and instruction of the faithful.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »

Bingo.  Authorship at the time of the writing of the NT did not mean that there was at one time an autographed manuscript by the person the writing is ascribed to but, rather, that the content and rhetoric employed in the writing could have come from the mind/mouth/hand of that person.  Two thousand years ago, I could have written a "Letter from Dave" (a very close friend of mine) that he would've gladly put his signature on, so to speak, because I know what he believes and would say about a given subject and I'm also rather adept at phrasing it in the same way he would put it.  It would not be considered fraud by anyone back then nor should it be. 
and even fast forward that into (more) modern times. the majority of Shakespeare's plays were not his idea, and just remakes of prior stories and traditions

SCREW BON JOVI!
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »

and even fast forward that into (more) modern times. the majority of Shakespeare's plays were not his idea, and just remakes of prior stories and traditions

Indeed.  People forget (or don't want to know) that Shakespeare's genius was not in the story, but the words with which he chose to tell it. 

Same goes for Chaucer.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »

Indeed.  People forget (or don't want to know) that Shakespeare's genius was not in the story, but the words with which he chose to tell it. 

Same goes for Chaucer.
an interesting side fact. Shakespeare was only regarded as a good playwright until the wars(WWI/II), when his fame exploded, as a source of cultural identity and national pride

SCREW BON JOVI!
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »

What is considered "proof?"  A DNA sample? police
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »

Does Fr. Peter?

Oh, boy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »

He's advertising himself as running/teaching at a school of Orthodox theology. I think it's perfectly valid to ask about what exactly he believes and is teaching. However, I thought it would be rude to start questioning him on the thread he made about the school. However, when I came across this thread shortly afterwards I figured it was a good chance to ask.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 11:43:22 PM »

Bingo.  Authorship at the time of the writing of the NT did not mean that there was at one time an autographed manuscript by the person the writing is ascribed to but, rather, that the content and rhetoric employed in the writing could have come from the mind/mouth/hand of that person.  Two thousand years ago, I could have written a "Letter from Dave" (a very close friend of mine) that he would've gladly put his signature on, so to speak, because I know what he believes and would say about a given subject and I'm also rather adept at phrasing it in the same way he would put it.  It would not be considered fraud by anyone back then nor should it be.  

Indeed.  People forget (or don't want to know) that Shakespeare's genius was not in the story, but the words with which he chose to tell it.  

Same goes for Chaucer.
an interesting side fact. Shakespeare was only regarded as a good playwright until the wars(WWI/II), when his fame exploded, as a source of cultural identity and national pride

True enough, but even before then, the effect his words had on the English language (turns of phrase/coined words) was second only to the KJV even if people didn't know it.  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:43:46 PM by Schultz » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 12:12:02 AM »

Bingo.  Authorship at the time of the writing of the NT did not mean that there was at one time an autographed manuscript by the person the writing is ascribed to but, rather, that the content and rhetoric employed in the writing could have come from the mind/mouth/hand of that person.  Two thousand years ago, I could have written a "Letter from Dave" (a very close friend of mine) that he would've gladly put his signature on, so to speak, because I know what he believes and would say about a given subject and I'm also rather adept at phrasing it in the same way he would put it.  It would not be considered fraud by anyone back then nor should it be.  

Indeed.  People forget (or don't want to know) that Shakespeare's genius was not in the story, but the words with which he chose to tell it.  

Same goes for Chaucer.

True enough, but even before then, the effect his words had on the English language (turns of phrase/coined words) was second only to the KJV even if people didn't know it.  

?

Looking at the Romantic, this is a severe over-statement. In England, on the Continent, and in the US, Shakespeare was highly regarded to point of worship.

At this point only Neech saw World Wars pending and prior to him Goethe was literally trying to be the Shakespeare of the German language. He was glad that really most of Bill's work remained in English or rendered terribly in German, so that he a chance at achieving such an accolade.

"Shakespeare" by the time of the Romantic was among elite and hoi polloi synonymous with genius.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:13:00 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 04:21:28 PM »

Do you still believe this? Also, do you also believe that Peter wrote 2 Peter, John wrote 3 John, etc.?

*bump*

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »

Does Fr. Peter?

That was quite rude!

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »

My own Priest gave a sermon a few years ago about the authorship of the Epistle of Hebrews. He contended ardently (in a paraphrase) that "Saint Paul wrote fourteen Epistles, including Hebrews. This is why our Icon of Saint Paul has him holding fourteen scrolls. This is contrary to what some say. They claim that he only wrote thirteen."

Could someone please provide me sources concerning the authorship of this Epistle?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:40:25 PM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »

Does Fr. Peter?

That was quite rude!

Not really.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »

My own Priest gave a sermon a few years ago about the authorship of the Epistle of Hebrews. He contended ardently (in a paraphrase) that "Saint Paul wrote fourteen Epistles, including Hebrews. This is why our Icon of Saint Paul has him holding fourteen scrolls. This is contrary to what some say. They claim that he only wrote thirteen."

Could someone please provide me sources concerning the authorship of this Epistle?

That is too easy to google. He didn't write Hebrew nor all Pauline Epistles. That is absurd.

The 14 scrolls come from the ten epistles he wrote, the three Gospels he practically did, and the sequel to one of those Gospels, Acts.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »

If St. Paul wrote the epistle to the Hebrews, he changed his writing style and theological vocabulary to do so.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 10:41:29 PM »

I've never understood why you dislike Fr Peter so much.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 12:40:51 AM »

So, do we really have an idea who wrote the books?
As far as individuals, from a historical standpoint, no.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: