OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:32:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this major book a forgery?  (Read 1843 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: February 01, 2004, 02:15:32 PM »

The Old Testament "Deuteronomy" book is a "repeating of the Law". I have heard the following theory about it on a TV special: when at one point, the Jewish faith was being renewed among the jews, the Old Testament describes how a priest "found a book" in the Jerusalem temple. This was a book of the Law and his scribe copied it down. The scribe it seems wrote down the OT book which tells this story and the writing style of this book is a match to  the writing style of Deuteronomy. Therefore, some scholars believe that Deuteronomy is the book that was supposedly found in the temple - in truth a forgery intended to reknew the faith/laws.

Ought we to give credence to this theory? It seems logical if it's not a fabrication.

NULL
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 02:45:43 PM »

I wouldn't give any credence to anything presented on any TV special. If it didn't have some new angle it wouldn't be made or screened. If I wanted to get published I should think of the most way out idea possible and suggest that there has been a conspiracy of silence in the Church.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 11:51:01 AM »

Well, putting my Vulcan-logic-analysis(TM) hat on, the response to "Some scholars" is first off, "What scholars?  What are their names?  What are their credentials?  How many?  Is it a major movement or a couple of cranks?"  For such an assertion, there must be hard data given to back it up.  

Many things that seem logical at first glance, Erracht, have gaps one could drive a tractor through side ways.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 02:15:42 PM »

It could be true or it could not: either way, the fact is that not only the writing of the books but the processes of transmission was inspired by God so what we have now is his word no matter how it "evolved"

Smiley

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »

I though that this thread would be about the notorious "inauthentic" Pauline epistles.  The same commonly held academic hypotheses often apply to Peter's epistles as well.
DanM

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:13:39 AM »

Ought we to give credence to this theory? It seems logical if it's not a fabrication.

A great deal of higher criticism involves this sort of Keatsian speculation. 
I prefer lower criticism, which provides some brakes for the imagination and is much more Johnsonian in spirit.
(When called upon to counter Bishop Berkeley's doctrines, Johnson kicked a large rock violently and said, "I refute it thus.")
DanM
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:16:48 AM by DanM » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 04:31:49 PM »

Even if Deuteronomy is the book of the Law found in the Temple, it does not follow that it therefore must be a forgery. Perhaps it had sat untouched for some time before it was found, and that was why they scrambled to copy it so quickly--to have a usable copy.

But I echo others on this thread when I say that it is easy to get something published when it is billed as controversial. It is even easier to get it published on a television special.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: