OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 12:19:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: upcoming excitement in Southern California  (Read 3668 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »

I know that my Metropolitan made it a point to be there at the consecration this weekend.  I think that's an awesome act of friendship and understanding between our two churches.  I'm so glad you guys have a new cathedral! 

He spoke at the consecration, and it was very nice.  You can see his speech 33 minutes into this video:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9506309

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2010, 08:45:13 PM »

What was the hymn that they were singing MANY MANY times?  It was very beautiful. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »

I think what you are talking about is the hymn that is sung whenever something is blessed or consecrated.  You hear it so many times in the two videos from the consecration because they are consecrating so many things in the new church, starting with the altar.  

On the walls you see 16 white cross-stones, one for each of the 12 Apostles, plus Sts. Mark, Luke, Paul and Gregory the Illuminator.  If I understand our tradition correctly, there are supposed to be 16 columns, or pillars, in a church (the word used by the bishops in the video was "syoon.")  Each one is supposed to be dedicated to one of those saints.  Of course not every church is going to have 16 pillars in it, so usually they put 16 small crosses high up on the walls of churches and they get anointed and blessed when the church is consecrated.  (At least that is what you usually see here in the US.)  In this cathedral, they put 16 carved cross stones on the walls.  The consecration of each one of those cross stones is what took up much of the two videos, and the hymn that is sung for consecrations is repeated each time.

I'm not a great translator, but roughly, the bishop chants that he is blessing and anointing the pillar ("syoon") in the name of the particular apostle, and then he says "Ays Nushanav..."  which means "by the sign of..."  and the choir continues what he is saying by singing "...the Holy Cross, the Holy Gospels, the Holy Muron (Chrism), and the Grace of the day, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages.  Amen, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia."

I'm sure VasnTearn could give a better translation if she sees this, but I think the above gives you an idea of what is being said.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:50:05 AM by Salpy » Logged

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 10:07:51 PM »

Thank you!!  Just was curious and trying to see if there's any parallels with your tradition and ours!  (in terms of that main hymn)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2010, 11:29:23 PM »

Just ran across this article, hope I'm not duplicating anything.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags: Armenian Church Coptic Orthodox Church Monastery consecration 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: