OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:15:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other gospels  (Read 910 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: February 01, 2004, 02:09:26 PM »

I heard that in the Dead Sea Scrolls, an maybe elsewhere, there were found "gospels" that depict Jesus as being different from the 4 Gospels in the Bible, for example, he is described as being more angry/violent, as marrying Mary Magdalene or some such things. What is our Church's position on these writings and why do they tell the story in this different way? Were they written to a specific purpose by heretics?

NULL
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 02:27:52 PM »

This is incorrect. The dead sea scroll predate Christ. I think perhaps you are thinking of the Nag Hamadi (sp?) find in Egypt that happened around the same time. This was a gnostic library that revivalists of the gnostic heresy say give insight into the "historical" Jesus. In truth, they aren't worth the papyrus they were written on.
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 02:36:57 PM »

As to the Church's position, they were anathematized along with the gnostic heresy by the undivided Church.
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 10:04:47 PM »

Yeah, theories about "other gospels" and scandalous rumors will sell books and movies.  But if you want traditional Christianity, you have to go with what was handed down to us by the Ecumenical Councils of the 1st millenium -- Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 02:15:30 PM »

Just remember what scripture records about "other Gospels."

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: