OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 10:45:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timeline of Church History for Western Christians  (Read 3796 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: June 24, 2010, 01:09:36 AM »

My latest undertaking is a Timeline of Church History for Western Christians...

I would like some feedback on what I could fix/change.

Current version:

Full Size: http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8947/timelineforwesternchris.png

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:10:39 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:59:06 AM »

Under Roman Catholicism, I think Humanae Vitae and Summorum Pontificum should be mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:59:27 AM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 05:25:11 AM »

88Devin12,

Wow! Good job man!

It's evident that you've put a lot of work into this. I think you should be commended for your efforts... So I say bravo! Very well done!

Two things I noticed:

• According to astronomical evidence (Star of Bethlehem)... Christ was born in 2 BC, rather than 0. (And actually - there was no  year zero!)

• Your number of 9 million Orthodox Christians killed in the Soviet Union seems awfully low. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, author of 'The Gulag Archipelago' puts the number of deaths between 1918 and 1959 at 66 million. He also asserts that the majority of those were Orthodox Christians.

Otherwise... beauty!

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 05:49:22 AM »

• Your number of 9 million Orthodox Christians killed in the Soviet Union seems awfully low. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, author of 'The Gulag Archipelago' puts the number of deaths between 1918 and 1959 at 66 million. He also asserts that the majority of those were Orthodox Christians.
9 million makes sense, if based on conservative numbers.  I've seen the number of total deaths range anywhere from 10 million to 25 million during that period.  66 million seems unnaturally inflated and isolated only to Solzhenitsyn's work.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:35:07 AM »

Great start. If this timeline is meant for a particular Western audience, it seems to me that you should have some information on how/when Orthodoxy started to affect that audience. For example, in North America, the arrival of the first missions and the establishment of (take your pick: OCA, SCOBA and/or the EA) would be useful. Similarly, in the United States, the admission of the Evangelical Orthodox Church into Holy Orthodoxy was a seminal event, as was the reconciliation of ROCOR with the MP. World-wide, recommend showing the existence/establishment of our several churches. Also, the independence of Greece from the Ottoman Empire was a crucial event. However, your timeline does not include neither the establishment of the Ottoman Empire (with the subsequent naming of the Patriarch of Constantinople as the Etnarch for all non-Armenian Christians), nor the independence of Romania, Serbia, and Bulgaria.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 10:01:33 AM »

Great job!  I can't begin to imagine how much time and research went in to this project.  Amazing!

...it's just that the Ukrainian in me...wants to know why 988 is always labeled as the conversion of "Russia"?  There was no Russia at that time.

The land was called Kievan Rus...which to us Ukrainians, is ancient Ukraine, not Russia.

The actual state of Russia didn't come in to existence until the 14th century.

...I'm just saying.    Wink

Keep up the good work! 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:09:11 AM »

Thanks everyone! I'll make the corrections!

As for the Orthodox Church in the USA and the autocephaly/autonomy of certain churches.
I felt that for the most part, those would be considered minor events from the perspective of Western Christians. I also excluded the founding of the churches in Antioch, Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Constantinople. As well as when Orthodoxy was taken to places like Spain, India, Persia, British Isles etc...

I can add them but I was trying to keep the Orthodoxy section relatively uncrowded.

Also, the founding of the Ottoman Empire is there.

Again, thank you everyone! Corrections coming...
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 11:51:27 AM »

9 million makes sense, if based on conservative numbers.  I've seen the number of total deaths range anywhere from 10 million to 25 million during that period.  66 million seems unnaturally inflated and isolated only to Solzhenitsyn's work.

Why does 9 million make sense anymore than 66 million?  Is the latter number streatching to far into the expanding universe?  

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm

John
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:55:09 AM by zoarthegleaner » Logged

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 06:21:32 PM »

The land was called Kievan Rus...which to us Ukrainians, is ancient Ukraine, not Russia.

The actual state of Russia didn't come in to existence until the 14th century.

...I'm just saying.    Wink

Ah, but the average Western Christian won't know that Wink
I changed it though...
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 02:21:05 PM »

Update:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8947/timelineforwesternchris.png

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 03:49:35 PM »

Excellent!

Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »

Where are the Cathars? The Waldensians? The Brethren of the Free Spirit? Shocked
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:31:02 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 04:47:26 PM »

Where are the Cathars? The Waldensians? The Brethren of the Free Spirit? Shocked
Never heard of any of those (except the Cathars)... They weren't mentioned in anything I looked up for Protestants, Catholics, nor Orthodox.

I can't show every schism/sect, I only chose the major, most prominent ones Wink
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »

Upon close scrutiny...it seems that in 1992 the Current Catechism was Adoped, instead of Adopted.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: