Author Topic: The true meaning of the Arabic greeting, Marhaba  (Read 166418 times)

Offline Tamara

• Archon
  • +Pray for Orthodox Unity+
The true meaning of the Arabic greeting, Marhaba
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:25:54 AM »
An Syrian friend sent this information to me and I wanted to share it with everyone.
Sometimes we forget the original blessings that came with the common greetings
we still use today. It is part of our Orthodox Christian treasure of heritage.

The real meaning of “MARHABA”

Marhaba....

Marhaba is an Arabic  word  used in the Middle East   as “Hello”.

But most people  don't know its source

Marhaba comes from a Syriac (Aramaic, Assyrian) origin and was used by the first Christians

Mar = Master or God

Haba =Love

Marhaba = God is love

إن كلمة "مرحبا" هي كلمة قديمة ذات أصول آرامية

استخدمها المسيحيون الأوائل من السريان وهي ذات شقين

الأول "مار" ومعناها سيد أو رب و"حبا" ومعناها محبة

وهي عبارة تعنى:

"الله محبة"

So ..... Marhaba!!

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
Re: The true meaning of the Arabic greeting, Marhaba
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:59:52 AM »
I always assumed it comes from the Arabic verb rahaba, 'to welcome'.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »
Very cool!  Shukran!

I think to welcome someone is something like, "Ahlan wa sahlan".
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »
Also,

Most folks know the word "Hajj" and "Hajji" to mean a Muslim who has taken the pilgrimage to Mecca.  But did you know that this word was originally an Arab Orthodox word for a Christian who took the pilgrimage to Jerusalem?  Isa can tell you the many derivatives we have today that are found in Eastern Orthodox Christian lands such as Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, etc...
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
But did you know that this word was originally an Arab Orthodox word for a Christian who took the pilgrimage to Jerusalem?  Isa can tell you the many derivatives we have today that are found in Eastern Orthodox Christian lands such as Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, etc...

It is a very common name among Orthodox Christians, and does indeed signify pilgrimage to Jerusalem. But is there any evidence to suggest that this is practice pre-dates Islam among the Orthodox?

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »
But did you know that this word was originally an Arab Orthodox word for a Christian who took the pilgrimage to Jerusalem?  Isa can tell you the many derivatives we have today that are found in Eastern Orthodox Christian lands such as Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, etc...

It is a very common name among Orthodox Christians, and does indeed signify pilgrimage to Jerusalem. But is there any evidence to suggest that this is practice pre-dates Islam among the Orthodox?

Great question!  Unfortunately, I'm not 100% positive, but because Muhammad "borrowed" so many of our traditions, it wouldn't surprise me.  When Isa sees this, he'll be able to answer.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
here is how you pronounce it:

http://www.forvo.com/word/marhaba/

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »

Yes.  It is the same word in Hebrew used for the pilgrimage to Jerusalem for the three feasts (Shukot, Pascha, Pentecost), so used in Aramaic/Syriac and passed to its cognate in Arabic.  The Arab philologists (predominantly Muslim) are agreed that the meaning of the word as restricted to Mecca is later, with the imposition of Muslim law (for those who do not know, the Muslims, based on the Quran, admit that their first direction for prayer was towards Jerusalem, and was only changed later).  As for its use before Islam outside of the Middle East, no, I don't think any exists as I don't think it was used by anyone outside of the Semitic Orthodox until after the conquest of Jerusalem.  The form of the Greek I think would indicate it being borrowed around the time of the Great Schism with the Vatican.  
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline youssef

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »
I doubt this explanation.
The topic is old but by chance i got here.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 08:55:12 PM »
I doubt this explanation.
The topic is old but by chance i got here.

Doubt is good.  Can you refute or provide an alternative?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »
Almost certainly it is from the root رخب (rḥb), which means "welcome." It is extremely doubtful that "mar-" comes from the Syriac word for "Lord," as the Syriac word has a long 'a', mār; in West Syriac this would be mor. The Arabic word "maraḥaba" is spelled مرحباً, that is, with a short 'a'. When the Syriac word was borrowed into Arabic as a title for saints, it is spelled مار, not simply مر.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »
Almost certainly it is from the root رخب (rḥb), which means "welcome." It is extremely doubtful that "mar-" comes from the Syriac word for "Lord," as the Syriac word has a long 'a', mār; in West Syriac this would be mor. The Arabic word "maraḥaba" is spelled مرحباً, that is, with a short 'a'. When the Syriac word was borrowed into Arabic as a title for saints, it is spelled مار, not simply مر.

Exactly.
However, in the Arabic letter you used the wrong "h", it should be  رحب. The transcription is correct, though.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »

Exactly.
However, in the Arabic letter you used the wrong "h", it should be  رحب. The transcription is correct, though.

Argh! My Arabic and Syriac keyboards have different layouts, and I use the Arabic one so infrequently I'm hazy on where the letters are...
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline youssef

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 11:12:51 PM »
It is a common thing in arabic to use the letter m (م) before a verb. We will not say that marqas (مرقص) come from mar qas.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »
Funny story.  We say "Mari" before certain saints, just like Syriacs do. 

So Abouna is given three names to commemorate for the departed (parenthesis is his train of thought):
Mary Youhanna
(Okay...)
Mary Mina
(Hmmmm...)
Mary Guirguis
(Okay someone is messing me here)
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 12:11:55 AM »
It is a common thing in arabic to use the letter m (م) before a verb. We will not say that marqas (مرقص) come from mar qas.

This is great information.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline youssef

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 02:18:08 AM »
Funny story.  We say "Mari" before certain saints, just like Syriacs do. 

So Abouna is given three names to commemorate for the departed (parenthesis is his train of thought):
Mary Youhanna
(Okay...)
Mary Mina
(Hmmmm...)
Mary Guirguis
(Okay someone is messing me here)

Mari should mean here my lord.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 07:16:59 AM »

Yeah, they're called masdar - "from the source". Arabic, as other Semitic langauges, si basd on roots. The first thing you derive from a root is a verb (according to one of "subjects"), and from the verb fromc ertain subject you create masdar. It's done according to the scheme, however the most basic thing is to put "m" in the beginning. It applies to the persoin doing the thing and the person on whom the thing is done (mut'ib - person that is tiring; mut'ab - a person that is tired, from ta'b - "to be tired"), a place (like manzil - "a flat", literally "the place in which you descend [from camel], from "nazal" - "to descend"), a tool (like miqass - "scissors" - from qass "to cut").
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
Somehow I missed answering the folk etymology of the OP.

No, it does not come from the Aramaic. It from the root r-H-b "to make spread out," "to be ample" the idea being a tent spread out and welcoming (think Moses entering Jethro's tent in the "Ten Commandments"), like "rolling out the red carpet."

The phrase means then "[May you be here] in an ample space/place."
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth