Author Topic: How does your language say "Hookah"?  (Read 739 times)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
How does your language say "Hookah"?
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »
I realized even now, I'm really not used to that word. Probably 90% of the Arabic speakers I know are from the Levant, they use a word that is very close to how the French pronounction: narguilé (nix the "n", and that is roughly the word I'm used to).  Do all Arabic speaking countries use this term?  I thought the word "Hookah" was of Farsi origin, but one of my Iranian friends uses a different word.  Can anyone parse the language in Arabic and compare it to the origin where the word was first coined?

How do the languages you know pronounce this word, and can you parse the language?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:05:34 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: How does your language say "Hookah"?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:03:46 PM »
In Turkey it was narghile. Google search says it comes from Sanskrit via Persian.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:06:14 PM »
All the Egyptians I know call it shisha.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline AlioshaKaramazov

• Faith: Inquiring
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:09:29 PM »
In Spain it's commonly called "cachimba".

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 02:09:51 PM »
In Turkey it was narghile. Google search says it comes from Sanskrit via Persian.

Did they the "n" in the word "narghile"?  I'm not used to hearing the "n".  If it's Sanskrit, that may explain why it's pronounced different in modern Iran.  But the way my ears made out the way he pronounced the word there wasn't a similarity to the word "hookah".
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
In American, I believe it's "nerd."
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »

Something tells me this word may be a very odd duck word.  If neither the Romance, Arabic, or Central Asian languages have a standard that's a bit odd.  Especially if the French, Turkish, and Arabic resemble each other...the English resembles the Sanskrit, etc.
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:14:43 PM »

Something tells me this word may be a very odd duck word.  If neither the Romance, Arabic, or Central Asian languages have a standard that's a bit odd.  Especially if the French, Turkish, and Arabic resemble each other...the English resembles the Sanskrit, etc.

I don't believe it is an English word at all. It's a borrowed term.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:20:45 PM »

Did they the "n" in the word "narghile"?  I'm not used to hearing the "n". 

Yeah, they used the "n".
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »

Well, that's how a lot of language works.  Especially if you are importing in a foreign object for use.  If the French and English were only exposed to Hookah's in later colonial times it makes sense why the words are different, due to how it was imported in.  The Spanish is a bit more of a puzzle to me.  But I thought they've been in the West for some time, you will hear 17th century Austrians refer to them..
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:24:29 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »

When I did the English to Arabic translation it was a bit more similar to what you say.  I've never heard that term.  My Arabic is worse than awful, but from what I can tell Egyptians pronounce things very differently from what I'm used to. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:40:35 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 02:41:22 PM »
In Finnish that would be "vesipiippu". Literally translating as waterpipe. Though " shisha" is probably coming more common due to touristry, immigrants etc.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:42:14 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 02:44:17 PM »

Well, that's how a lot of language works.  Especially if you are importing in a foreign object for use.  If the French and English were only exposed to Hookah's in later colonial times it makes sense why the words are different, due to how it was imported in.  The Spanish is a bit more of a puzzle to me.  But I thought they've been in the West for some time, you will hear 17th century Austrians refer to them..

Yeah but you can't say "the English word 'rhinoceros' seems to have a similarity to Greek." Not if you want to be taken seriously.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
In Polish it's szisza (shisha), in Serbian "nargila".
In standard Arabic texts there is نرجيلة (narjeela) or النلة (an-nala).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 03:04:34 PM »

In standard Arabic, نرجيلة (narjeela)  are you used to the "n" and an english "j" sound?  I'm not used to the "n" (except in French) or "j", and more used to a hard "g" sound.

It looks like your Polish term is similar to how AN said Egyptians pronounce it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:05:45 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »
In Finnish that would be "vesipiippu". Literally translating as waterpipe. Though " shisha" is probably coming more common due to touristry, immigrants etc.

That's a fun word, can you parse it? What kind of tourists?  Is there a nationality of Europeans or Mid Easterners you are more used to?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:07:11 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »
Narghilea
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »

In standard Arabic, نرجيلة (narjeela)  are you used to the "n" and an english "j" sound?  I'm not used to the "n" (except in French) or "j", and more used to a hard "g" sound.

I used "j" to differentiate it from Egyptian Arabic "g" ;)
I find it quite obvious that in MSA there is "n" sound.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 03:23:39 PM »

That's a fun word, can you parse it? What kind of tourists?  Is there a nationality of Europeans or Mid Easterners you are more used to?

Touristry meaning Finns going to other countries as tourists. There are shisha bars outside of the Middle East too.

As for Finland, lots of Iraqi asylum seeker lately. Somalis are another large group from that region but they chew khat instead of smoking shisha.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 03:31:45 PM »

found this on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHnTIuP3Xhs

I'm used to pronunciation 3 (about 30 seconds in).  This has a hard "g" in it and no "n".  From what he implies, it may be mostly just a Levantine pronunciation.

Also according to this guy the shihsha refers to the specific pipe part, which is probably why Egytians, etc may use that as the generic term.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:39:38 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 04:21:24 PM »
Nice!  Poland taking the side of Egypt ;)

The first time I heard the word "hookah" was when I was in college.  Some Pakistani guy asked me "you wanna smoke hookah?" I was like "how in the world do you smoke hookers?"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:23:35 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 04:40:25 PM »

found this on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHnTIuP3Xhs

I'm used to pronunciation 3 (about 30 seconds in).  This has a hard "g" in it and no "n".  From what he implies, it may be mostly just a Levantine pronunciation.

So, in this case it's أرجيلة (Arjeela/Argeela). That's very probable, that's a Levantine pronunciation. But, only of this specific world, as typical Levantine pronuciation uses for ج "zh'"

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »
Nice!  Poland taking the side of Egypt ;)

The first time I heard the word "hookah" was when I was in college.  Some Pakistani guy asked me "you wanna smoke hookah?" I was like "how in the world do you smoke hookers?"

I have a similar experience.  Except I didn't realize until what it was until after college.   I associated the word with "bong " and hippie slang for "hooker" at various times until about age 22
Holy Toledo!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 04:57:34 PM »
  Some Pakistani guy asked me "you wanna smoke hookah?" I was like "how in the world do you smoke hookers?"

I think that was Jack the Ripper's thing for a while.

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 07:06:27 AM »
In Greek it's "ναργιλές" (masculine) pron. nar-yee-les (IPA /nar.ʝi.'les/) or "αργιλές" /ar.ʝi.'les/ (masculine) or (mostly in rembetika) "λουλάς" /lu.'las/ (masculine).
"Λουλάς" is Turkish, lüle = pipe bowl. We look down on the use of hookah, due to its association with the underground and substance addiction culture in 1930's-1940's.
Ο Μανόλης ο χασικλής-Manolis the hash addict (1929)
Ο αργιλές-Τhe hookah (1934)
Αργιλέ μου γιατί σβήνεις;-My hookah why do you go out? (1935)
Η φωνή του αργιλέ-The voice of hookah (1934 or 1935)
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 07:18:25 AM »
In Brazil is known as Narguilé, but people pronounce it 'Narguíli'