OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:41:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earthquake  (Read 888 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: June 23, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »

OK....who felt it?

I felt it in Detroit, MI.

May the Good Lord preserve us all and keep us safe from all nature of harm spiritual as well as physical.

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »

Supposedly it hit the GTA too.  I felt... nothing.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 03:26:18 PM »

Here in TO, in a highrise building; very scary. I couldn't get my balance and felt odd, so went to investigate and the plants on the TV were shaking like mad. The water in the toilet bowl was rolling and I heard loud thumps on the walls-like something had slammed into building. Heard folks out on their balconies exclaiming, "Did you feel that???". Paranoid, I thought initially it was somehow connected to the G20 Summit and others thought it was perhaps a sonic boom created by the G20 security helicopters flying overhead.

Registered 5.5 on the Richter Scale and duration approx 30 seconds. Huge amount of territory felt the tremors.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »

Felt in here in Welland (Niagara region). We live fairly close to a drop forge so we're used to a thud and a shake, but my wife and I both instantly recognized it as something different. It was more of a side-to-side movement. Daughter-in-law said some dishes fell from a shelf in their high rise in Hamilton.
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »

Many people felt the earthquake here in Indiana according to the local news. I'm in Indianapolis, but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I pray there was little damage, and no injuries or deaths. May God preserve and protect.

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:56:13 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:06:39 PM »

Lord have mercy!  We felt it in Chicago.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:21:54 PM »

wow...Isa what time did it happen in chicago,,,I was asleep and didn't feel it...
God Have Mercy on us, And Protect us all...Amen Amen.. angel

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »

wow...Isa what time did it happen in chicago,,,I was asleep and didn't feel it...
According to the news report, it would have been felt in Chicago at about 12:41 p.m. local time.  Were you taking an afternoon nap?
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:35:41 PM »

According to the news report, it would have been felt in Chicago at about 12:41 p.m. local time.  Were you taking an afternoon nap?

Yes...... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »

Quakes are rare in that neck of the woods, but the rock strata are very ancient and brittle; furthermore, they don't build as well for earthquakes ourside CA, so something that just tips the scale at 6.0 is going to do much more damage there than it would in SoCal.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »

Quakes are rare in that neck of the woods, but the rock strata are very ancient and brittle; furthermore, they don't build as well for earthquakes ourside CA, so something that just tips the scale at 6.0 is going to do much more damage there than it would in SoCal.
The newest urban buildings in the Pacific Northwest are now being built to withstand earthquakes (up to about 7.0 magnitude, I believe).  We've come to recognize that we sit on much more seismically active ground than we thought 50 years ago.  Like the folks in SoCal, we're also awaiting "The Big One", a rupture of the Cascadia Subduction Zone that could generate a 9.0+ monster.  (People in Japan need to be ready for that one too, since the last megaquake in the Cascadia Zone sent a big tsunami their way.  This happened in January of 1700.)
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »

Yes, and given the fact that the worst earthquake in US history happened in this neck of the woods (New Madrid)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Earthquake
a real danger.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:14 PM »

Yes, and given the fact that the worst earthquake in US history happened in this neck of the woods (New Madrid)
a real danger.
Yeah.  The central U.S. has the mountains to confine the shaking of a California temblor to just the western states.  The New Madrid fault zone is right in the middle of the continent and between two mountain ranges, so any shaking caused by a slip on that fault can be felt over an extremely large area.  A large enough quake there can cause much more widespread damage than a similarly strong quake out west.  For instance, I'm aware that the strongest of the New Madrid quakes rang church bells in Boston, MA, a location well more than a thousand miles away!  (Think of all the population centers that have sprung up in the New Madrid area since the winter of 1811-1812.  St. Louis, Memphis, and Nashville especially...)

As far as the New Madrid quakes being the strongest in the history of the U.S., that may be true for the 48 contiguous states, but it's not true for this nation as a whole.  Don't forget Alaska, which had the third most powerful quake in recorded world history in 1964, only five years after the territory became our 49th state.  That shaker was measured at a whopping 9.2 magnitude!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:05:18 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 11:05:10 PM »

a real danger.
Yeah.  The central U.S. has the mountains to confine the shaking of a California temblor to just the western states.  The New Madrid fault zone is right in the middle of the continent and between two mountain ranges, so any shaking caused by a slip on that fault can be felt over an extremely large area.  A large enough quake there can cause much more widespread damage than a similarly strong quake out west.  For instance, I'm aware that the strongest of the New Madrid quakes rang church bells in Boston, MA, a location well more than a thousand miles away!  (Think of all the population centers that have sprung up in that area since the winter of 1811-1812.  St. Louis, Memphis, and Nashville especially...)

As far as the New Madrid quakes being the strongest in the history of the U.S., that may be true for the 48 contiguous states, but it's not true for this nation as a whole.  Don't forget Alaska, which had the third most powerful quake in recorded world history in 1964, only five years after the territory became our 49th state.  That shaker was measured at a whopping 9.2 magnitude!
Ah, yes. The Good Friday Quake. Memory Eternal!

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »

Trucker's back in the 70's called L.A. Shaky Town...been through '71, '94 and a few others...

Took me 2 hrs to get to my district yard in the valley in '94, 6 hrs to get home the same day...when I drove past the golf courses at Griffith Park people were a playing...

That's life L.A. ...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:02:37 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 06:18:14 PM »

Trucker's back in the 70's called L.A. Shaky Town...been through '71, '94 and a few others...

Took me 2 hrs to get to my district yard in the valley in '94, 6 hrs to get home the same day...when I drove past the golf courses at Griffith Park people were a playing...

That's life L.A. ...
There was that Spring Break day many years ago when I was awakened from sleep at 5:30 in the morning by the shaking of my bed.  Later that day I learned that the central Willamette Valley, where I lived at the time, was shaken by an earthquake of 5.6 magnitude.  Pretty rude awakening, I think.  One of the oldest buildings in town ended up getting condemned because of the structural damage (deep cracks in the masonry) it sustained during the shaking, and one of the old houses on the campus of the college I was attending lost its brick chimney.

I would find out after joining the Church that the date of this quake was the Feast of the Annunciation (NC).
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »

Cardinal Mahony used the '94 quake to get "his" Cathedral built ...old St. Vibiana's is still standing and functioning, though not as a Church  Sad ...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: