OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 10:37:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop praying to satan or "How to properly make the sign of the cross"  (Read 22827 times) Average Rating: 0
colaps

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROC

Spre marea biruință legionară...

« on: June 22, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »

Stop praying to satan in the House of the Lord!
(Translated from http://blog.pustniculdigital.info/articole/43/)

To whom do we pray when we make the sign of the cross? It is a simple question, apparently trivial, to which every Christian who has made the sign of the cross at least once will quickly respond: to God (Holy Trinity). What a simple responce. It may even give the impression that it is correct, though, for a lot of Christians, this is wrong. I will try, further down, to combine the sign of the cross, the words of some faithful people and elements of decayed human logic in order to show to some Christians that, not only are they making the sign of the cross incorrectly... but that they are also bowing to satan. You don't believe me?

The Orthodox Cross

A lot of words on the internet about the Cross as a Christian concept. But here I will talk about something else, closer to us, easier to understand, more trivial: ABOUT THE SHAPE.

This is the Orthodox Cross. Let's remember only the vertical and the longest horizontal arms. It is simple, from what we can see, to deduce the shape and proportions. In the drawings further down I will use the same cross to demonstrate what I have to demonstrate. So, remember what you see, because we will use it further down.

[1] We have the shape of the cross imprinted in our memory and now we will proceed further.

About Satanism

I won't go into details here but I will explain the first notion. Satanists are "inverted", and not necessarily from a sexual orientation point of view. They say Our Father backwards, they use, in their ceremonies, inverted Orthodox Mass. If you don't believe me, click on the link and you will see such an inverted mass in an absolutely satanic production based on secret rituals, crimes and perversions.

And you know what satanists like the most? To pervert the sign of the cross. Bent, turned upside down and even both. For example the sign of peace: It is an inverted cross with its arms broken, in a witchcraft typical circle. Blasphemy to the rank of art!

[2] We keep in mind the inverted cross, a satanic symbol. Online shop for demonic cult objects [warning: explicit].

Now let's put it all together

Can I be more explicit then what can be seen further down? How many of you reach the belly and (close to) the shoulders with the sign of the cross? How many of you use the model on the right? Go in front of a mirror and make the sign of the cross, come back and then draw the conclusions.

Why does the mistake persist?

Because we are not true Christians. Because we do everything hastily without truly paying attention. Because we are not even minimally logical and we fail in using the simplest and most basic Orthodox Christian sign: The Cross. It is easy to understand the haste and mistake in "complicated" things such as prayers, fasting, vigilance, temptations and divine tests ... even with going to Church or other manifestations of faith but to fail in something so simple ...

And you do not even require a Ph.D. It is simple elementary logic. We mentally take the image of a cross and we position it on our chest, while maintaining the proportions. The upper part in the center of our forehead and ... the rest comes by itself.

And even worse is...

Even worse is when, besides the inverted crosses, you see twisted, broken, deformed, oblique or crippled crosses (once I walking on the street and I saw a man making a cross without an arm, something 'special'), circular crosses (I can't even explain how they are made, but the hand makes a circular movement with a speed worthy of a conjurer).
Our Saviour Jesus Christ was not crucified upside down. He did not have any physical defects so that His cross have a single arm. It wasn't even a cross with half the width, which means that His arms would've been placed in mid-air. It wasn't a single big PLUS + or an [X] or who knows what other geometric shapes that masquerade as crosses among today's Christians. It was a completely normal cross.

We don't need divine inspiration to understand how to make the sign of the cross correctly, but a little decency and maybe half a second more in our movement. This isn't some competition in which we see who makes three signs of the cross in the shortest timespan with the grand prize of 'free' entry into Heaven. We don't have to move our hand so fast that we hopelessly ruin it in an attempt to make the sign so that nobody sees how we do it. In this case it would better not to do it at all. Sometimes, when I see people making the sign of the cross, I place my palms on my ears. I unnervingly await, an eternity in a moment, standing in fear, for them to break the sound barrier and produce a sonic bang.

To always make the sign incorrectly is like when someone talks to you but, everytime, he says your name wrong. How much can you endure?

All of these are blasphemies

There are mistakes where it is too easy to commit errors. They are bows addressed to the devil because his idolaters also like crosses that are as deformed and twisted as possible (the more hated in front of God they are, the better). You don't believe me? Let's ask ... the pope (the leader of the catholics), who, through their sick popeist art, twist the cross of the Saviour, leaving Him to hang without any point of aid. We paint Him straight, with His legs a little bent around the knees (fact drawn by actually looking at icons, not through some Ph.D. that I certainly do not have), and not hanging like a piece of cloth because He is God and not even death beat him (how could creation beat the Creator?).

Let's ask pope John Paul II why he sits on a chair of blasphemy and substitutes our Saviour Jesus Christ in absolution of sins? He said (in 1984): "Don't go to God for forgiveness of sins: come to me.".

Someone could say that the back of the chair holds the cross of St. Peter who was crucified upside down. Who is the head of the church for the catholics? Jesus Christ surely isn't (and is He painted as a mulatto behind the pope or is it just my imagination?). Is it St. Peter or the pope himself? I know something like this: "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.". It doesn't say anywhere that it is the pope or St. Peter (that are not even mentioned in the neck area).

You decide who you bow to, to satan, to the pope "god" (same thing) or to God! You decide if your cross is standing or if it is upside down, if it is straight or twisted, if it is complete or broken. You decide who your God and Saviour is: Lord Jesus Christ or ... someone else. And, based on your decision, choose your sign!

Father Cleopa said that our enemies (satan) laugh at those who do not know how to make the sign of the cross. No sign or gesture can burn satan, but the CROSS and the name of the Saviour.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:36:00 AM by colaps » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:45:48 AM »

(and is He painted as a mulatto behind the pope or is it just my imagination?)

Most certainly the author's (telling) imagination.

As to the larger point: It could much more effectively be stated by simply instructing the faithful to make the sign of the cross properly, with more awareness, instead of as if playing a guitar. That's the main error I've observed. Never really seen anyone make it like the left figure on the diagram. If one is conscientious enough to actually touch the forehead, one is usually equally attentive to going far enough down the body to make an actual cross shape.

That said, many early Orthodox crosses, even up to the 8th century and beyond, were not elongated. They came in a variety of styles, shapes, and sizes. This sort was very common before the 7th century:

The above image is of an early Byzantine cross, made of filigree enamel on gold, and dated to the late 500s. It's currently housed in the Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, Byzantine Collection, Washington, DC.

This image is of a slightly earlier paten (discos), mid 500s, from the same collection. The cross is not nearly as elongated as it came to be in later centuries. I'm not an art historian, but, my general impression is that elongated crosses, with the upper line and so forth, start appearing during the twelfth century Komnenian renaissance or thereabouts. Maybe someone on the board knows otherwise.

Finally, my personal favorite early cross, a Chi-Rho made to resemble a cross, appears on a huge, two-foot discos from about 650. Hi-res pics are here: http://museum.doaks.org/VieO27039?sid=1305&x=569828
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:05:37 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:57:15 AM »

"mulatto"!? Shocked
I think I'll go listen to my grammophone for a spell.

Proverbs 22:7
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »

Yeah. One can teach about making the sign of the Cross properly without going overboard. It turns into a paranoid Pharisaism. (Although, I thought that reference to the pope was clever. But, please, he's not a god, just a three-horned antichrist. Oh, we've got trouble, right here in Orthodoxy. And that starts with "T" and that rhymes with "P" and that stands for Pope!)

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »

ummmm.... ok.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »

I believe the OP should have forwarded his post to the "Onion Dome" - too bad they went out of business (http://www.theoniondome.com/).

Love never fails.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »

I had a great aunt who, when she sat down to eat, would make a little sign of the cross on her chest and say "T'anks God!"  She was as pious as anyone, and it would never occur to me to criticize her for not reaching all the way up to her forehead and all the way down to her belly button.  I don't think that is how she crossed herself in church.  She was more formal there.

Anyway, didn't the early Christians just make the cross on their foreheads? 

Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:41:35 PM »

Anyway, didn't the early Christians just make the cross on their foreheads?

Yes. And they took the Eucharist home with them so they could have a little every day. People's notion that NOTHING changes in Orthodoxy is a little off.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »

So I guess St. Peter was glorifying Satan by this mans logic?
(also why the engraving is on the chair the Pope is sitting on)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:21:44 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »

http://pithlessthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/12/orthograph-12-making-sign-of-cross.html
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »

I had a great aunt who, when she sat down to eat, would make a little sign of the cross on her chest and say "T'anks God!" 

Aww, that's so cute!!  laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »

I had a great aunt who, when she sat down to eat, would make a little sign of the cross on her chest and say "T'anks God!" 

Aww, that's so cute!!  laugh

Indeed!  Grin Grin Grin

Love never fails.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 04:31:08 PM »

She really was cute.   Smiley

She would sometimes put me and my cousins into the back of her huge Cadillac (it had fins) and she would take us to a Swedish restaurant where you could pile your plate with all kinds of food.  I think if she had stood up at the table, made a big sign of the cross and said the full prayer before meals, it would have just attracted attention.  I have no doubt her "T'anks God!" with the small sign of the cross was sincere enough, and I would think it was pleasing to God.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:58:01 PM by Salpy » Logged

Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 05:15:14 PM »

colaps, are you telling me that my mulatto kids are also actually SATANISTS?
I had a suspicion our one year old was evil. I should have known by the blasphemous way she waves her hand whenever she kisses an icon.

(See attached image to see the chocking face of satanism today) Cheesy
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »

She would sometimes put me and my cousins into the back of her huge Cadillac (it had fins) and she would take us to a Swedish restaurant where you could pile your plate with all kinds of food.  I think if she had stood up at the table, made a big sign of the cross and said the full prayer before meals, it would have just attracted attention.  I have no doubt her "T'anks God!" with the small sign of the cross was sincere enough, and I would think it was pleasing to God.

Srbs have a book that shows, the proper way one is to cross him / herself....In the serbian church there is a man with severed right arm ,he uses his left arm/hand to cross himself... angel

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 05:17:35 PM »

Absolutely diabolical!  laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »

I had a suspicion our one year old was evil. I should have known by the blasphemous way she waves her hand whenever she kisses an icon.

What a darling!

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 05:19:54 PM »

Srbs have a book that shows, the proper way one is to cross him / herself....In the serbian church there is a man with severed right arm ,he uses his left arm/hand to cross himself... angel

Yet I'm sure his left-handed sign of the cross is pleasing to God, even though technically it's the incorrect hand.

Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »

That's great. Loved it.  Grin

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »

Do you think we have to call our priests and to sanctify our computers after downloading this satanic image?  Undecided

Love never fails.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 05:34:10 PM »

Do you think we have to call our priests and to sanctify our computers after downloading this satanic image?  Undecided

Uhhm....I think your computer will be fine, Heorhij!  Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »

And you know what satanists like the most? To pervert the sign of the cross. Bent, turned upside down and even both. For example the sign of peace: It is an inverted cross with its arms broken, in a witchcraft typical circle. Blasphemy to the rank of art!

One advantage about being old is that you know stuff which young people don't.  This is NOT an inverted Cross with broken arms.

What you are looking at is the symbol for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.  This symbol was invented in the late 1950s in England for protests against nuclear weapons.

It is composed of two semaphore signs  - the one for N and the one for D  - Nuclear Disarmanent.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »

So I guess St. Peter was glorifying Satan by this mans logic?
(also why the engraving is on the chair the Pope is sitting on)

Saint Peter was the first person I thought about when I saw what the OP was saying. I think the person who made the post was influenced too much by modern American and British culture than actual real ancient history.

Who cares what modern American and British made satanists and wiccans do. They are nothing more than protestantish self appointed American pagan denominations/religions. Much of their ethos is either protestant or Roman Catholicish.....or an aping of it. Most of these new pagan groups are nothing but North American inventions. In America we have freedom of religion and about what every 5 days a new religion is born?

One that looks either very protestantish or Roman catholicish.......it doesn't matter if it's neopagan or not.....he really shouldn't care about what they do for it's all a protestant restorationist mindset thing anyway. A reconstruction of history....a type of revisionism!

Non of these groups have real unbroken succession to real ancient paganism anyway. It is all an aping of what we do as North American Christians.

Well wait, outside of hindu, voodoo and a number of others...but outside of the real ancient pagan groups these modern ones are nothing more than self made modern North American ones. So why should we care about what they do? Why should we change what we do for them?

We been here longer!

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:49:17 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »

One advantage about being old is that you know stuff which young people don't.  This is NOT an inverted Cross with broken arms.
I think that is just the advantage of not endlessly looking for (*cough* inventing) symbolism where it isn't.  Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 06:42:01 PM »

One advantage about being old is that you know stuff which young people don't.  This is NOT an inverted Cross with broken arms.

What you are looking at is the symbol for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.  This symbol was invented in the late 1950s in England for protests against nuclear weapons.

It is composed of two semaphore signs  - the one for N and the one for D  - Nuclear Disarmanent.

Thank you for sharing this!
colaps

Jurisdiction: ROC

Spre marea biruință legionară...

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 07:20:30 PM »

The peace symbol (also called the "broken cross," "crow's foot," "witch's foot," "Nero Cross," "sign of the 'broken Jew,'" and the "symbol of the 'anti-Christ''') is actually a cross with the arms broken. It also signifies the "gesture of despair," and the "death of man.''

"The Germanic tribes who used it attributed strange and mystical properties to the sign. Such a 'rune' is said to have been used by 'black magicians' in pagan incantations and condemnations....To this very day the inverted broken cross--identical to the socialists' 'peace' symbol--is known in Germany as a 'todersrune,' or death rune. Not only was it ordered by Hitler's National Socialists that it must appear on German death notices, but it was part of the official inscription prescribed for the gravestones of Nazi officers of the dread SS. The symbol suited Nazi emphasis on pagan mysticism.''

With the arms of the cross raised in an upright position, it is "a Pythagorean emblem of the course of life, in the form of a rising path with fork roads to Good and Evil.'' It also signifies fertility, but with the arms pointing downward, it denotes evil and death.

How can you say it was „invented” in the 1950s if it has existed for so long?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »

colaps,

Please provide a link or other source appellation for the text you quoted above.  Not only will you be complying with this forum's rules against plaigarism, but you will also bolster your own argument by utilizing proper argument technique.  Note this request is in green font from a moderator and is thus a formal request for proper sourcing.  It is not to be ignored.

Thank you!

Schultz.
Orthodox-Catholic forum moderator

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »

It is much older than this. The Nazis used it as the Toten Rune (Death Rune).  It was used to mark the date of death on graves and death certificates.  As with all things Nazi, it was lifted from much earlier Runes.  This particular one stood for despair and death.  It is found commonly among Germanic Runes.  Of the Futhark alphabets, this Rune shows up in the Middle and Later alphabets, up to about 800 AD.  I believe that the Futhark alphabet was replace by the Glagolithic.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »

I believe that the Futhark alphabet was replace by the Glagolithic.
??
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:19:05 PM by mike » Logged
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »

I have traced the text quoted to this page, although I have also found it repeated on at least two dozen other pages. Of course, much of what that page claims is either evident nonsense or the common currency of woo-woo--dom (e.g. its claims about the origin of the Vulcan hand sign, which we have Leonard Nimoy's word as to its origin).
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »

Peter appears to have preached in Pontus, Galatia, Bithynia, Cappadocia, and Asia to the Jews of the dispersion. And at last, having come to Rome, he was crucified head-downwards;for he had requested that he might suffer in this way.
- Eusebius Pamphilias, Church History Book III
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf201.iii.viii.i.html

And Peter, having come to the cross, said: Since my Lord Jesus Christ, who came down from the heaven upon the earth, was raised upon the cross upright, and He has deigned to call to heaven me, who am of the earth, my cross ought to be fixed head down most, so as to direct my feet towards heaven; for I am not worthy to be crucified like my Lord. Then, having reversed the cross, they nailed his feet up.
- The Acts of Peter & Paul
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0815.htm

At his hands he received the crown of martyrdom being nailed to the cross with his head towards the ground and his feet raised on high, asserting that he was unworthy to be crucified in the same manner as his Lord.
- St. Jerome, The Lives of Illustrious Men
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf203.v.iii.iii.html

We can find more in the writings of the Church Fathers... The Orthodox Church itself affirms the fact that St. Peter was crucified upside-down...

http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/book/nov18.html

So, colaps, according to your original post, you make an argument that has the consequence that St. Peter must have somehow been glorifying Satan by desiring to be crucified upside-down.

Also, as it relates to the Roman Catholic Church, you seem to ignore the fact that the original Church of Rome was founded by Ss. Peter and Paul. So the modern Roman Catholic Church, because it sees itself as still holding the Apostolic succession to St. Peter, has a special recognition to St. Peter. The Roman Catholic Church believes it has Papal Supremacy because of St. Peter.
Because of this, there is a lot of "upside-down crosses" in Roman Catholicism. It isn't because of Satanism, but rather because of the significance that St. Peter has to them.

http://blog.pustniculdigital.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/pope-cbs.jpg

So did St. Peter glorify Satan by being crucified upside down? Because your argument against upside-down crosses seems to suggest such...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:49:03 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 08:53:49 PM »

That upside down cross does look satanic...Iv never seen Holy Orthodoxy displaying it like that or even by A Othodox Patriarch .... Grin

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:04:00 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 08:55:46 PM »

Runes were the method of writing in Scandinavia and other parts of Europe including Anglo-Saxon lands.  They are called the "Futhork" from the first six letters just as the word "alphabet" comes from alpha+beta, the letters being: Feoh, Ur, Thorn, Os, Rad and Cen.  The "thorn" is the voiced "th" sound.  They are made up of straight lines (easy to carve or scratch into stone).  Here is a site from the University of Nottingham on runes and runic inscriptions that has information on this method of writing: http://runicdictionary.nottingham.ac.uk/faq.php#versions

There are "rune stones" existing that are from many centuries ago.  Here is a link to a site about the "Roek Stone" where the letters can be seen: http://www.gedevasen.dk/roekstone.html#C1

And here is one on the Lingsberg Runestone:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingsberg_Runestone

The rune like a Y with an line between the arms is simply one of the letters in the runic alphabet. It has nothing to do with the Peace Symbol, which Irish Hermit has explained is N and D in semaphone. It is different being in a circle which the runes were not.  

As a side note J. R. R. Tolkien used the runes as the basis for his Cirth script in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings for the Elvish language "Sindarin" as well as the Dwarvish writing.
http://mirror.unl.edu/ctan/fonts/cirth/cirth.pdf

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »

One advantage about being old is that you know stuff which young people don't.  This is NOT an inverted Cross with broken arms.
I think that is just the advantage of not endlessly looking for (*cough* inventing) symbolism where it isn't.  Tongue

That too.   Smiley

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 09:02:41 PM »

This particular one stood for despair and death. 

Do you have a book or link on this, please? 

Not anywhere in Scandinavia that I know of.  Do you have more information on the Futhork being used in Slavic areas of Europe?  It would be interesting to know more, if this is the case.

Thank you in advance.

Ebor

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 09:08:34 PM »

Let me save everyone a lot of typing here:
Old believers...churches with pews...beardless priests....Slavonic...ecumenism..recieving converts by chrismation...women with headscarves...women without headscarves...eastern oriented altars...autocephaly..the Masons..new world order...fasting before communion...saints on the iconastasis...modern vestments.

Proverbs 22:7
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 10:05:22 PM »

I have traced the text quoted to this page, although I have also found it repeated on at least two dozen other pages. Of course, much of what that page claims is either evident nonsense or the common currency of woo-woo--dom (e.g. its claims about the origin of the Vulcan hand sign, which we have Leonard Nimoy's word as to its origin).

Of course! Shocked  One can never go wrong by quoting articles from jesus-is-savior.com. Roll Eyes
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 10:09:24 PM »

Old believers...churches with pews...beardless priests....Slavonic...ecumenism..recieving converts by chrismation...women with headscarves...women without headscarves...eastern oriented altars...autocephaly..the Masons..new world order...fasting before communion...saints on the iconastasis...modern vestments.

Don't you have some Shemas to recite or something?
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 10:37:50 PM »

Lactantius http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf07.iii.v.x.html?highlight=cross,forehead#highlight
Diocletian, as being of a timorous disposition, was a searcher into futurity, and during his abode in the East he began to slay victims, that from their livers he might obtain a prognostic of events; and while he sacrificed, some attendants of his, who were Christians, stood by, and they put the immortal sign on their foreheads.

St Rufinus http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf203.vi.xi.ii.vi.html?highlight=cross,forehead#highlight
At this point, as the custom is at the close of the Creed, we touch the forehead of this flesh with the sign of the cross, and with the mouth of this flesh, which we have so touched, we confess the resurrection; that so we may stop up every entrance through which the poisoned tongue might bring in its calumnies against us.

Tertullian http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf03.iv.vi.xvi.html?highlight=cross,forehead#highlight
In all the ordinary occasions of life we furrow our foreheads with the sign of the Cross, in which we glory none the less because it is regarded as our shame by the heathen in presence of whom it is a profession of our faith.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf03.iv.vi.iii.html?highlight=cross,forehead#highlight
At every forward step and movement, at every going in and out, when we put on our clothes and shoes, when we bathe, when we sit at table, when we light the lamps, on couch, on 95seat, in all the ordinary actions of daily life, we trace upon the forehead the sign.

2 Cor. 3:6
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 10:38:42 PM »

This particular one stood for despair and death. 

Do you have a book or link on this, please? 

Not anywhere in Scandinavia that I know of.  Do you have more information on the Futhork being used in Slavic areas of Europe?  It would be interesting to know more, if this is the case.

Thank you in advance.

Ebor

1. Google "Death Rune" or "Nazi Symbols" or Toten Rune".  You should get a lot of information.  If you can't find anything after doing some honest searching on your own, I'll help you find it.

2. Futhork would have been used by any of the Scandinavian peoples who ran up and down the rivers of Slavic Europe during the early middle ages.  The Slavs themselves are not believed to have a written language until their conversion to Christianity.  Any Slav that would have learned to write (for trade or other purposes) would have had to use the Scandinavian writing.  The Glagolithic would have replaced this form of writing.  In spite of the common belief that the Slavs had no written language, there are those that believe that there was a proto-writing used by some Slavs that was Runic in character.  As to Scandinavian runes from the Middle ages found in Slavic lands, see the following web site.  It is probably the only "on line" source, and to find it you will need to know what you are looking for:

http://www.arild-hauge.com/ru-e-rusland.htm

Hope this helps.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 10:48:06 PM »

What is actually satanic is this thread.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 11:17:08 PM »

From what I can tell, Glagolithic came down from Cyril and Methodius.  Futhark was a western Viking thing.  There were three Futharks, Elder, Younger, and Anglo-Saxon.  Interestingly, FUTHARK is sort of like QWERTY is in a computer, the first letters in the alphabet.

Sources: the great unquestionable Wikipedia

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 11:21:48 PM »

Never minds...lost my precious...thought  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:27:23 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »

ZOMG WASHINGTON'S NAZI GOVERNMENT!

HERE'S THE PROOF!!!11!11one!!1!

This picture clearly shows a Swastika on a post card with Mount Rainier and a Rhododendron. This obviously means that the State of Washington was aligned with Hitler. But we didn't go to war with Washington, now did we? Therefore, obviously the US Government was secretly supporting Hitler, and that whole "World War II" thing was a sham. The whole world we live in is a lie. This picture I found on Google proves it.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 11:55:48 PM »

ZOMG Coke's in on it too!!!1!!!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Tags: sign of the Cross 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: