OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 09:50:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serbian Orthodox friend and Mentor  (Read 1126 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« on: June 17, 2010, 01:23:19 PM »

I have a friend and mentor in my career who was raised Serbian Orthodox, but has not really been practicing for years. Yet, I know she still believes in God and such.

I would like to buy here a present for all of her help, and perhaps one that might provide a little nudge back towards her faith. I was thinking of buying her an icon. Is this a bad idea? Which Eastern Orthodox saint might be a good choice?

Thanks

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 06:41:46 PM »

She will Go to church ,When she feel drawn to go,Like Pashca, Nativity or other Great  Holy Days, at least she can breath easier that she isn't committing a Mortal sin or Having to Come up with some duzzy of a excuse not to go to Church and still avoiding a Mortal sin... Grin

Question.. Grin ,,Answer if you want or not .... Grin

How Many Duzzy excuses have you come up with in your life time,to avoid your Obligation and avoiding a mortal sin ,justifying not going to church...... Grin

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:55:36 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 06:48:34 PM »

Perhaps you could get her an icon of St. Sava (also spelled Savvas). Every Serb knows him.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 07:11:43 PM »

Perhaps an icon of Christ where He holds the open book which says in Slavonic or in Greek, "You have not chosen me, I have chosen you."  I know those exist and I think it would go a great way to remind her of the great love Christ still has for her even if she may believe otherwise.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »

Perhaps an icon of Christ where He holds the open book which says in Slavonic or in Greek, "You have not chosen me, I have chosen you."  I know those exist and I think it would go a great way to remind her of the great love Christ still has for her even if she may believe otherwise.

I Have one over my dinning room table ,it says in old church slavonic greater love has no man than to give his own life for his fellow man... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »

Three suggestions:

1.  The Mother of God

2.  Saint Sava who means to Serbs as much if not more than St Patrick to the Irish.  In fact he means so much that Serbs often refer to Orthodoxy not as Pravoslavlje but as Svetosavlje (Holy Sava-doxy)

3.  The Family's Slava Saint  Ask her who is the Saint for her family's Slava.  Every Serbian family has one Patron Saint going back centuries, supposed to be the Saint on whose day the first ancestor of their family tribe was baptized.  His or her day is kept as a very special family festival.  A tremendously important day in the life of every Serb.

If you need any help locating religious shops or monasteries which sell these icons, eitrher real ones or mounted prints, please let us know.
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:32:23 PM »

3.  The Family's Slava Saint  Ask her who is the Saint for her family's Slava.  Every Serbian family has one Patron Saint going back centuries, supposed to be the Saint on whose day the first ancestor of their family tribe was baptized.  His or her day is kept as a very special family festival.  A tremendously important day in the life of every Serb.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 02:09:02 AM »

She will Go to church ,When she feel drawn to go,Like Pashca, Nativity or other Great  Holy Days, at least she can breath easier that she isn't committing a Mortal sin or Having to Come up with some duzzy of a excuse not to go to Church and still avoiding a Mortal sin... Grin

Question.. Grin ,,Answer if you want or not .... Grin

How Many Duzzy excuses have you come up with in your life time,to avoid your Obligation and avoiding a mortal sin ,justifying not going to church...... Grin

What a useless post.   Roll Eyes

---

I have to agree with IH and Sloga, her family's slava, if known, would be a great icon choice.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 02:47:18 AM »

She will go when the Spirit moves her ....I'm not against him giving her advice just go easy that's all... Grin

I sent a Serbian girl that spoke only english here in chicago,to the  Orthodox Church that's located  on Lasalle and Oak St...All the Holy Services are in English...Hopfully she Is attending there.... Grin

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 10:56:39 AM »

Thank you all for your replies so far. Given that I am Catholic, would an Eastern Orthodox priest be willing to bless the icon for me since I am giving it to an Eastern Orthodox Christian?

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »

Thank you all for your replies so far. Given that I am Catholic, would an Eastern Orthodox priest be willing to bless the icon for me since I am giving it to an Eastern Orthodox Christian?

I honestly don't see why not. I just wanted to say that I think this effort is really big of you, Papist.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 01:42:36 AM »

Dear Papist,

For a selection of some beautiful icons have at look at message No. 7 at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28375.msg447653.html#msg447653

It's a new printing technique which produces icons hard to tell from hand painted ones.   I think that the Kazan Mother of God is the cheapest at $79.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »

Dear Papist,

For a selection of some beautiful icons have at look at message No. 7 at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28375.msg447653.html#msg447653

It's a new printing technique which produces icons hard to tell from hand painted ones.   I think that the Kazan Mother of God is the cheapest at $79.

You are right father. These are beautiful.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: