OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 08:53:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: learning Old Church Slavonic  (Read 4639 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »

Quite large, actually. Church Slavonic lacks the nasal vowels and most of the reduced vowels of Old Church Slavonic, the tense and aspect system has been restructured, and some consonants have been changed to fit the norms of local dialects.

Just to clarify as someone who has studied Old Church Slavonic at University and used Lunt's text book:
The reason some may think Old Church Slavonic lacks vowels etc. is because originally the soft sign and hard sign were pronounced vowels.

Also for people who know Romance languages understanding Latin: modern Romance languages do not decline/ has cases for nouns as in Latin.

Romanian does. It's also the only Romance language that has a neuter gender

So vocabulary may sound familiar but the use of cases is confusing to those who do not know Latin grammar.  

Totally off topic but being Canadian and learning required French from public school when I was in Romania I notice simularity in vocabulary but the articles are attached the end of the noun not set before the beginning of a noun as in French.
Yes, Romanian differs from the other Romance languages, but resembles the Slavic languages in the Balkans with a definite article, in this.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:47:30 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orest
OC.net guru

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »

Yes, Romanian differs from the other Romance languages, but resembles the Slavic languages in the Balkans with a definite article, in this.

Do you mean modern Bulgarian and Macedonian by "the Slavic languages in the Balkans with a definite article"?  Or are there other South Slavic Balkan languages with a definite article?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:19:02 PM by Orest » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 02:23:49 PM »

It's a feature of the so-called "balkansprachbund", shared by Bulgarian, Romanian and Albanian. Other features are shared with Greek, as well.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »

Do you mean modern Bulgarian and Macedonian by "the Slavic languages in the Balkans with a definite article"?  Or are there other South Slavic Balkan languages with a definite article?
No, they're the only ones as far as I know period in the Slavic languages. As Augustine said, its the sprachbund. Another feature, one from phonetics, is that Romanian, Bulgarian, Macedonian and Albanian have a stressed schwa ə, something unusual among languages.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 09:58:08 PM »

No, they're the only ones as far as I know period in the Slavic languages. As Augustine said, its the sprachbund. Another feature, one from phonetics, is that Romanian, Bulgarian, Macedonian and Albanian have a stressed schwa ə, something unusual among languages.

A stressed vowel ə is not at all unusual among languages. I can name half a dozen languages off the top of my head that have it (English, Mari, Chuvash, Tatar, Kazakh and Nenets)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:59:38 PM by CRCulver » Logged
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2010, 01:26:26 PM »

I'd really like to teach myself the fundamentals of the Slavonic language. 

is it a totally impossible feat to try and teach myself this language?  I have nothing to do all summer, and I have a real knack for languages.  (I'm in honors French II and honors Italian I)

plus, I have a very close friend at church who says she can read half of the language, so she could be valuable up to a certain point. 

I am also going to get this book: http://www.amazon.com/Church-Slavonic-Grammar-Horace-Lunt/dp/3110162849/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276752721&sr=8-2

does anyone have any opinions about it?

thanks! or should I say Dzieki!

Here you can find some self-study textbooks of Church Slavonic:
http://azbyka.ru/tserkov/tserkovno-slavyanskiy/uchebnye_posobiya/index.shtml     
(in Russian)

Tags: liturgical languages 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: