OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 02:03:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Father  (Read 1378 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« on: January 29, 2004, 01:07:34 PM »

My 78 y.o. father is, as I write, having repair surgery done on a hernia operation that he had 40 years ago (as he said then "21 years in the Army Air Corps and the Air Force and I'm having a navel operation". Da has a quirky sense of humour) and then "popped a stitch" about 15 yrs ago. It's drive-by umm  "out patient" surgery, and Mum is waiting at the surgi-center.

If anyone has a spare moment or two, we'd appreciate it very much.  Many thanks.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 01:26:52 PM »

May the Lord guide the surgeon and comfort your father during his healing.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 02:39:22 PM »

oh - very definitely prayers for him - and you - during the waiting and recuperative period

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 02:44:37 PM »

You're Dad sounds like he's a lot of fun, Ebor. Prayers for his speedy recovery.

Amie

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 05:22:05 AM »

God bless him and grant him a full recovery.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 10:22:08 AM »

Thank you, everyone.  Mum called me when he woke up and he said "I'm too groggy to even think of something to say about politics."  I pointed out that he was strong enough to think of the subject.  The surgi-center let him go home in the afternoon and I checked in with my parents before bedtime.  So far, all is well and Da isn't too uncomfortable.  

I'll be checking the next few days.  It's all I can do being 2000+ miles away, but my parents appreciate.

Yes, Amhalaba, my father can be quite the card in a dry humourish way. He loves word play and straight-faced delivery.  (I tend to tell jokes the same way, and many years ago, when I first came to the East Coast, some people I met weren't used to that and thought that telling jokes without telegraphing meant I was a bit thick.  Cheesy)

I really appreciate people's kindness here with Mum's broken arm/surgery and Da's patching.  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 02:37:47 PM »

My crazy Dad was like that, too. Miss him much. One of our priests has that kind of straight faced delivery, and he has this imperious manner... always changes jokes so they sound like something real, out of his life, or the newspaper... leaves a lot of folks scratching their heads.

I've gotten better about being gullible, tho still get taken now and then... he's just one of my favorite people.

I am so glad you're Dad is better. I'm 3000 miles away from my elderly Mom, and brothers and sisters... SO difficult. One of those things I can't shake the regret over... a decision to move so far away made at 24 years of age when I just had no idea what it would mean down the road.

When I pray for my Mom, I'll continue to remember you and your folks, too.

Peace to you, Ebor.

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: