Author Topic: The Very Rev. Archimandrite Andres Girón de Leon of Guatemala (1947-2014)  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Sirach

• Elder
  • Just trying to learn something.
You may recall, from a few years back, that about 40,000 Mayans in Guatemala were received into the Orthodox Church.

Father Giron was instrumental in that action.

"It was with great sadness that family, friends and the faithful gathered to pay tribute to Fr. Andres Giron- church leader, reformer and passionate servant of the poor... People by the thousands from all walks of life came to pay their respects, each with a treasured memory or sense of gratitude for selfless service rendered on behalf of his beloved Guatemala and the holy church of Christ.  One comes to know the tenderness of his heart and the impetus behind his passionate cry for social justice when listening to the stories that shaped his conscience..."

Source. THOUSANDS MOURN THE PASSING OF FR. ANDRES GIRON

In 2012, at the Hellenic College Holy Cross EFOM Missions Lecture, Father John Chakos said of Father Andres Giron that he is “the real impetus behind” the Mayan people coming to Orthodoxy.  He is “the head of the Guatemalan Orthodox Church; the real leader of the church.  There is no one else… Father Giron is the one that put the foundation in place for this church.”

Source.  HCHC Media, Missions Week - Presentation

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
Memory eternal.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

Offline orthoreader

• High Elder
Memory eternal!

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Memory Eternal.

Not that I know much about them, but since they are still so new to Orthodoxy, I hope they don't drift away and find someone worthy to pick up the banner per se.  It seems like Fr. Giron was a cult of personality, but I could be wrong and I hope this doesn't make the group collapse.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
May God repose His servant.  Memory eternal!
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
Memory Eternal.

Not that I know much about them, but since they are still so new to Orthodoxy, I hope they don't drift away and find someone worthy to pick up the banner per se.  It seems like Fr. Giron was a cult of personality, but I could be wrong and I hope this doesn't make the group collapse.

If you look at the website in the OP, it seems there are numerous miracles being attributed to Fr. Andres. I think that, if true, Fr. Andres may very well be interceding before God on their behalf, and I imagine it could easily reassure them to remain where he led them to be.

May his memory be eternal, and may he intercede to God for the Guatemalan Church.

Offline Sakeneko

Fr. Giron was an extraordinary man.  Here's a link to the closest thing to an official web site for the Guatemalan Orthodox Church:

http://www.mayanorthodoxy.com/

It's wonderful reading. :-)

Memory Eternal for Fr. Andres Giron!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
May his memory be eternal.