OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 27, 2014, 11:49:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PPI and DPI  (Read 1087 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: June 15, 2010, 07:45:59 PM »

I have ten pictures that will be in my book, but the publishing company tells me that the images I submit must be at least 300 dpi/ppi ( Huh).  The images I have on my computer are 120 dpi, and I can't figure out how to change them to 300 dpi. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:30:19 PM »

"Photoshop Resize Images" tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omc-UB_wa3E
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:47:38 PM »

Do you have Photoshop?

If so, it's VERY easy.

Open your image.  Click Image > Image Size and the "Image Size" dialog box will appear with pixel and document information. In the "Document Size" section change the number in "Resolution" to 300 and choose pixel/inch from the "Resolution" drop-down menu.

Verify that "Resample Image" is not selected and click OK. You have changed the resolution to 300 DPI without changing other picture attributes, such as the size.

Let me know if I can help.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:26:22 PM »

If you don't have Photoshop, you can use XnView.
Open the picture within it, click Image, then Resize.  Make sure 'Keep Ratio' is checked, and that 'Resample' is unchecked.  Under 'Print Size', 'Units' should be set to 300 and the drop down menu beside it to 'pixels/inch'.  Click 'Ok'.  Now just a matter of saving and repeating.  Smiley

Or, you could use this Batch Resizer.
When you download the file, rename it to "PhotoResizeD300Q100.exe".  Now, don't run the file.  Highlight all the photos you want to convert, then click and drag that selection over the icon of the downloaded file and then release your mouse.  An automated terminal window will open up and list off the conversions.  The converted photos should now be in the same folder of the originals.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:49:53 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »

OK, thanks guys. But I'm still having trouble because I can't figure out how to download and use photoshop, XnView, or BatchResizer. I have Adobe Reader but apparently no photoshop. I tried the free downloads for the programs mentioned, but I'm still doing something wrong. Please give me simple step by step directions, as I am very computer illiterate and easily frustrated. Embarrassed

Thanks for your patience with me. I really need the help.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:25:55 PM »

For XnView:
1)  Open the programme.
2)  Click File, Open, find the photo you wish you change, click Open.  (You should now be looking at your photo)
3)  Click Image, the click Resize.
4)  Under the Print Size header, change Units from 120 to 300.
5)  Make sure that Keep ratio is checked, and make sure that Resample is unchecked.  Click OK.
6)  The photo should not look any different, but the DPI has been changed.
7)  Click File, the Save As (usually wise to leave the original unaltered).
8)  Repeat 2 - 7 until done.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 03:22:08 AM »

Did you end up being able to get it to work?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 03:39:41 AM »

Did you end up being able to get it to work?

Thank you so much for your help. I wasn't able to figure it out, but our dear friend Liza was kind enough to fix the images for me herself. When I have time, I'll try to revisit the procedure and learn how to do it myself. Thanks again for trying to help me.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: