OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Farrington's Agreed 5 year timeframe  (Read 920 times) Average Rating: 0
jbc1949

St. Adeodatus--Given by God

« on: January 29, 2004, 01:15:09 AM »

In view of some recent posts I perceive that Peter's and my "optimistic" 5 year timeframe (for reunion) is now all shot to heck.

I hope that our posts, however mild, have not contributed to the tension.  The election year and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan provide more than enough tension for everybody to "enjoy."

Perhaps we all could just tone it down a bit.

Jim C.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 05:38:05 AM »

I think that perhaps it shows that some attitudes should not be allowed to prevail.

I do not mean this in reference to anyone on this forum, but just because some folk can shout loudest doesn't mean that their pov is the Orthodox/Catholic or even Christian one.

I take great pleasure in conversations with non-polemical Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox, and I find that there are very many who share in the pleasure of such conversations. I think that 5 years could still be possible. Certainly there could be an effort made by interested parties to consider and deal with these issues so that an agreement and union in faith could be achieved even if the resolution of practical problems took longer.

I think the louder voices should be prayed for and their positions considered, but they should not be allowed to dominate the effort or disable it. These modern efforts are not a re-run of the council of Florence, times and situations have changed. Now we have a responsibility to go as far as the truth allows in being reconciled, and that means listening to each other not shouting at each other.

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
ByzantineSerb

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 04:07:53 PM »

Especially in these darkening, worsening times, I think it'd be good that we share forge some sort of union, out of good faith.

No compromises of Faith (as we're pretty similar anyhow), only of stiff neck issues, as Dcn. Peter correctly pointed out.

If we live as people of God, there will be room for all nations in the Balkans and in the world. If we liken ourselves to Cain who killed his brother Abel, then the entire earth will be too small even for two people. The Lord Jesus Christ teaches us to be
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 04:23:41 PM »

Hear Hear,

Peter & ByzantineSerb, I agree.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 04:52:10 AM »

Here in the UK it would be very good, for instance, if the OO/EO/RC were able to stand together and make public statements when appropriate about the moral issues which face us, instead of three separate and less likely to be heard or heeded messages.

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: