OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 05:07:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons & Electronic Devices  (Read 1563 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox Swamp Thing

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - San Francisco & The West

« on: June 15, 2010, 07:00:26 PM »

I have seen Orthodox put their patron saint on their phone, computer desktop, MP3 player and electronic picture frames. Is that being disrespectful to the Icons and the people they represent? Thoughts, Opinions, Comments & Ect.....  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:11:56 PM »

Only overly pious.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:00:07 PM »

Well...anyone who knows me, knows I am completely head-over-heels about Orthodoxy.  I love our Faith, our churches, our icons, people, etc.  I take pictures of every Orthodox thing!

My desktop currently is a photo I took of my own church.  It brings me peace.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:06:24 PM »

That is a really beautiful picture.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:11:44 PM »

What exactly would be disrespectful about it?  Wood, paper, liquid crystal, it is only a medium.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:13:45 PM »

My question should perhaps be placed on the Faith board, but it seems pertinent here: is there a difference between an icon and a picture of an icon? Let me illustrate this way: You take a photo of me holding an icon; then you come a little closer and your photo is clearly "someone" holding an icon (perhaps hands and part of the torso showing). Then you come closer yet and only the icon itself is within view. So is there a point at which a very ordinary picture becomes an icon? If we're talking about nothing more than a picture of an icon then there should be no problem with its being used in various places. It's not as if it were intended for veneration. Somehow there must be a difference. Is this making any sense? Of course, I know we also have to be careful about trivializing such things. I'm guessing we're not going to find a "one answer fits all" statement.
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »

What exactly would be disrespectful about it?  Wood, paper, liquid crystal, it is only a medium.

Regarding digital images on a computer screen, or stored on a hard drive: such images are not "made of matter" as a printed or painted icon is. It is when the image is printed and therefore "made substantial", that it can be venerated as an icon. The common custom also is that any completed icon, painted or printed, mounted or framed, is blessed by a priest on the church altar, then it is ready for veneration.

Perhaps the most strident argument against the veneration of icons used by the iconoclasts was that of "worshipping matter", i.e. venerating things made of wood, paint, stone, or other earthly materials was idolatry. Of course, the iconoclasts were quite mistaken, as they missed the point that humble, fallen, earthly substances were sanctified through the incarnation of Christ. We do not worship the wood or paint, nor the paper and ink, but we venerate what (or who) is represented on the icon. The material, tangible nature of icons reflect the immaterial God becoming material, tangible flesh. A JPEG file on a hard drive or an image in a digital picture frame or computer screen is immaterial, a mere shadow.
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:13:59 PM »

Good points. I asked my priest about this and he said there isn't a problem but I just have my internal dealings with it since they aren't blessed and I want to treat the icons and the people they represent with the utmost respect. Now my second question is this....

Can a icon that is on a digital media be venerated like a regular icon?
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 11:18:21 PM »

@ LizaSymonenko that's an awesome picture... I hope you don't mind but I swiped a copy...
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 11:18:45 PM »

Can a icon that is on a digital media be venerated like a regular icon?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »

well ok can a picture of an icon that is on digital media (cell phone and MP3 player) be venerated like a regular icon?
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:26:36 PM »

@ LizaSymonenko that's an awesome picture... I hope you don't mind but I swiped a copy...

You are MORE than welcome!  I was just in the right place at the right time!

If you would like it in a higher resolution, let me know and I will be happy to send it to you.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 11:28:52 PM »

What about LCD or Plasma screens on the iconostasis, where the image can morph into another image? Then you can have a rotation of saints!
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 11:30:14 PM »

well ok can a picture of an icon that is on digital media (cell phone and MP3 player) be venerated like a regular icon?
No. Such an image is a virtual image, not a "real", tangible one. See my earlier post:

Regarding digital images on a computer screen, or stored on a hard drive: such images are not "made of matter" as a printed or painted icon is. It is when the image is printed and therefore "made substantial", that it can be venerated as an icon. The common custom also is that any completed icon, painted or printed, mounted or framed, is blessed by a priest on the church altar, then it is ready for veneration.

Perhaps the most strident argument against the veneration of icons used by the iconoclasts was that of "worshipping matter", i.e. venerating things made of wood, paint, stone, or other earthly materials was idolatry. Of course, the iconoclasts were quite mistaken, as they missed the point that humble, fallen, earthly substances were sanctified through the incarnation of Christ. We do not worship the wood or paint, nor the paper and ink, but we venerate what (or who) is represented on the icon. The material, tangible nature of icons reflect the immaterial God becoming material, tangible flesh. A JPEG file on a hard drive or an image in a digital picture frame or computer screen is immaterial, a mere shadow.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:33:14 PM by LBK » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 07:11:58 AM »

Well...anyone who knows me, knows I am completely head-over-heels about Orthodoxy.  I love our Faith, our churches, our icons, people, etc.  I take pictures of every Orthodox thing!

My desktop currently is a photo I took of my own church.  It brings me peace.

Wow ,,,that's one nice Picture.....The beautiful Light Radiating Behind and Thur the Royal Door......The Glory Of The Lord Is Shinning Forth......

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »

...that's exactly how I "saw" it.  It was a breath-taking moment.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »

Thanks for your comments... However, the pictures of icons I do have on my MP3 player do start conversations.... Which can be interesting to say the least!!
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »

If anyone would like to have my collection of Icons I made I have 160 of them and they are 370 X 500 and work perfectly on a zune.... Just PM me with your email address and I will send them to you.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: