OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:20:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Order of Weekday Festal Vespers?? St. Elias the Tishbite  (Read 1824 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: June 15, 2010, 10:29:43 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm working on putting together the bilingual service of Vespers for the feast of St. (prophet) Elias the Tishbite. I needed some help putting it together...it will be on July 20th ( a Tuesday).

So after the Psalm 103, the Great Litany, Kurie Ekekraxa (Psalm 140- O Lord I have Cried) is sung...after the first 2 verses, what is sung next?? Are the prosomia for the saint sung or is Psalm 140 followed immediately by Psalm 141 (Exagage...Bring my soul out of prison...).

Thanks in advance,
Timos

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »

It depends on whether you are following a more Monastic Typikon or not. 

Psalm 103

Great Litany

Lord, I have Cried; Let my prayer arise.
(Optional: the verses of Ps. 140-141, "Set a watch O Lord" - "Θου Κυριε φυλακην τω στοματι μου")

3 Prosomia of the Prophet each sung twice, using the final 6 verses of the Psalms as verses before each hymn ("Ἐὰν ἀνομίας" - "If you mark iniquities")

Glory: of the Prophet

Both Now: From Saturday Evening Resurrectional Vespers in Plagal of the 2nd - "Τὶς μὴ μακαρίσει σε, Παναγία Παρθένε" - "Who would not pronounce you blessed"

Entrance.  Prokeimenon of the day ("Τὸ ἔλεός σου, Κύριε" - "Your mercy, O Lord" - 1st Tone)

OT readings of the Saint

Fervent Litany

Vesperal Prayer

Completion Litany, with the prayer of the bowing of the heads.

If there is to be both a procession with the icon and an artoclasia, then sing the first hymn of the Liti: "Ἠλίας ὁ ζηλωτής," - "Elias the zealot" - 1st Tone.  Then follows the petitions of the Liti, the censing with "Theotoke Parthene," and the blessing of the loaves with "Plousioi" - "Rich men".  Then go right to the Aposticha.

If there is a procession with no artoclasia, or no procession, then go right to the Aposticha.

3 Aposticha Prosomia of the Prophet with verses before the 2nd and 3rd. 

Glory: Of the Prophet. 

Both now: From the Saturday Evening Resurrectional Vespers Aposticha in Plagal of the 2nd: "Θεοτόκε, σὺ εἶ ἡ ἄμπελος" - "Theotokos, you are the vine", changing the word "Ἀποστόλων" (Apostles) to "Προφητών" (Prophets).

Then the prayer of St. Symeon, the Trisagion prayers.

Then the APolytikion of the Prophet sung once; Glory, both now: the 4th Tone Sunday Resurrectional Apolytikion-Theotokion  "Τὸ ἀπ' αἰῶνος ἀπόκρυφον" "The mystery from the ages".

Dismissal.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:26:57 AM »

You can find the text in Greek from the Menaion here:
http://analogion.net/glt/texts/Jul/20.uni.htm

Other Greek texts (Ochtoehos, Orologion, etc.) you can find there also.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »

It depends on whether you are following a more Monastic Typikon or not.  

Psalm 103

Great Litany

Lord, I have Cried; Let my prayer arise.
(Optional: the verses of Ps. 140-141, "Set a watch O Lord" - "Θου Κυριε φυλακην τω στοματι μου")

3 Prosomia of the Prophet each sung twice, using the final 6 verses of the Psalms as verses before each hymn ("Ἐὰν ἀνομίας" - "If you mark iniquities")

Glory: of the Prophet

Both Now: From Saturday Evening Resurrectional Vespers in Plagal of the 2nd - "Τὶς μὴ μακαρίσει σε, Παναγία Παρθένε" - "Who would not pronounce you blessed"

Entrance.  Prokeimenon of the day ("Τὸ ἔλεός σου, Κύριε" - "Your mercy, O Lord" - 1st Tone)

OT readings of the Saint

Fervent Litany

Vesperal Prayer

Completion Litany, with the prayer of the bowing of the heads.

If there is to be both a procession with the icon and an artoclasia, then sing the first hymn of the Liti: "Ἠλίας ὁ ζηλωτής," - "Elias the zealot" - 1st Tone.  Then follows the petitions of the Liti, the censing with "Theotoke Parthene," and the blessing of the loaves with "Plousioi" - "Rich men".  Then go right to the Aposticha.

If there is a procession with no artoclasia, or no procession, then go right to the Aposticha.

3 Aposticha Prosomia of the Prophet with verses before the 2nd and 3rd.  

Glory: Of the Prophet.  

Both now: From the Saturday Evening Resurrectional Vespers Aposticha in Plagal of the 2nd: "Θεοτόκε, σὺ εἶ ἡ ἄμπελος" - "Theotokos, you are the vine", changing the word "Ἀποστόλων" (Apostles) to "Προφητών" (Prophets).

Then the prayer of St. Symeon, the Trisagion prayers.

Then the APolytikion of the Prophet sung once; Glory, both now: the 4th Tone Sunday Resurrectional Apolytikion-Theotokion  "Τὸ ἀπ' αἰῶνος ἀπόκρυφον" "The mystery from the ages".

Dismissal.
As regards Vespers, I find that the Greek and Slavic practices are almost identical, so if you, Timos, are putting this together for use in a Slavic church (e.g., the OCA), what Fr. George posted above should work there, too.  Some of the terminology may differ, such as the fact that the Slavic traditions call the Apolytikion simply the Troparion of the Feast, but that's really a minor issue that shouldn't confuse you if you know to expect it.

The only difference I might offer is that between the Great Litany and "Lord, I have cried", the rubrics may prescribe that you sing "Blessed is the man..." from the First Kathisma, and a Little Litany.  However, this isn't true of all feasts, so you'll need to read the rubrics for the feast of the Prophet Elias to find out for certain if the Kathisma is needed.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:50:17 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 03:52:03 PM »

Thank you Fr. George! That really helped me a lot! PetertheAleut, it is for a Greek church...but the priest told me to skip the liti.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »

Also, if you feel adventurous, and if you have good chanters, you can always insert the anaxandaria in Psalm 103.  I can't remember where they go exactly, but they are usually reserved for great feasts or patronal feasts.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 08:14:38 PM »

The only difference I might offer is that between the Great Litany and "Lord, I have cried", the rubrics may prescribe that you sing "Blessed is the man..." from the First Kathisma, and a Little Litany.  However, this isn't true of all feasts, so you'll need to read the rubrics for the feast of the Prophet Elias to find out for certain if the Kathisma is needed.

In the Calendar published by the Ecumenical Patriarchate, "Blessed is the man" is not called for.  In fact, the Calendar (which is the Typikon interpreted for the particular year) states that the order in the Menaion is to be followed, which also does not call for "Blessed is the man."

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 08:15:19 PM »

Also, if you feel adventurous, and if you have good chanters, you can always insert the anaxandaria in Psalm 103.  I can't remember where they go exactly, but they are usually reserved for great feasts or patronal feasts.

In the Greek tradition I've only heard them for (a) patronal feasts, and (b) all-night vigils.

---------------------
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 08:45:45 PM »

The only difference I might offer is that between the Great Litany and "Lord, I have cried", the rubrics may prescribe that you sing "Blessed is the man..." from the First Kathisma, and a Little Litany.  However, this isn't true of all feasts, so you'll need to read the rubrics for the feast of the Prophet Elias to find out for certain if the Kathisma is needed.

In the Calendar published by the Ecumenical Patriarchate, "Blessed is the man" is not called for.  In fact, the Calendar (which is the Typikon interpreted for the particular year) states that the order in the Menaion is to be followed, which also does not call for "Blessed is the man."
Thank you, Fr. George.  From my experience reading Vespers for this feast, I kinda recalled that this was indeed the case.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »

A related question:
Is St. Elijah's day very popular in traditionally Orthodox countries (Greece, Russia,  Serbioa, Bulgaria etc)? Is it a non working day, where possible?
Is it marked with red in the calendar?
I ask this, because in our country this is a very popular feast day.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:02:18 PM »

A related question:
Is St. Elijah's day very popular in traditionally Orthodox countries (Greece, Russia,  Serbioa, Bulgaria etc)? Is it a non working day, where possible?
Is it marked with red in the calendar?
I ask this, because in our country this is a very popular feast day.

I don't know about it being a non-working day, but Prophet Elias is very popular amongst Greeks.  And, IIRC, there are many chapels that bear his name (in Greece, even a village of 50-100 people will have 2 churches: a town church, and a cemetery chapel; in the case of my Mother's village, one is Holy Trinity, the other Prophet Elias).

---------------------
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »

In the Carpatho Rusyn tradition St. Elias' feast is Vigil rank and "Blessed is the Man" is appointed.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags: vespers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: