OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:14:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Entertainment  (Read 801 times) Average Rating: 0
Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« on: June 14, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »

What kind of entertainment is acceptable by our church? How are Christians supposed to entertain themselves? Or may be I should ask how is entertainment seen by church fathers?

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:24:05 PM »

Well the nature of entertainment is so wide and varied that it seems necessary to ask what you mean by entertainment?

The Fathers do have things to say about various forms of entertainment, but are you talking about TV, or Night-Clubs, or walking in the countryside, or reading, or playing football?

One of the Fathers does remark on the fact that there is a need even for those living in the desert to have some periods of relaxation. Byt of course there are forms of entertainment which are criticised. So it would help if you could elaborate your question a little.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org
Study the Orthodox Faith online with the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies
http://www.lsocs.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Elijah
Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:41:11 PM »

Well the nature of entertainment is so wide and varied that it seems necessary to ask what you mean by entertainment?

The Fathers do have things to say about various forms of entertainment, but are you talking about TV, or Night-Clubs, or walking in the countryside, or reading, or playing football?

One of the Fathers does remark on the fact that there is a need even for those living in the desert to have some periods of relaxation. Byt of course there are forms of entertainment which are criticised. So it would help if you could elaborate your question a little.

Father Peter
Father Peter, thank you for the reply.
Well it seems obvious as least to me that Night clubs are not the place where Christians entertain themselves at. Other than that I guess it could be either TV or walking in the country side or playing football. What I am asking is in general how should Christians spend their 'extra' time or leisure time? What are Christian ways of entertainment or as you said relaxation? For example is it okay to entertain one self by watching football? or is there a better way for Christians to have a good time?
Thank you

He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »

As long as there is balance in your life then things are probably in order.

There is nothing wrong with almost anything that is not obviously spiritually harmful as long as it does not take over our lives.

Watching some TV is OK. But being out in the country is probably better. Not least because it is possible to pray while walking. Reading is good, having a creative hobby is good. Making music is good.

Wasting time is poor stewardship and not likely to be spiritually beneficial.

Entertainment sounds rather passive, while relaxation is a natural human need. It is a recharging of our batteries. We can perhaps consider whether the things we do with our time are a positive means of relaxation, or are a passive consumption.

What sort of things do you like to do? Are they creative and refreshing, or passive and a mere waste of time?

God bless you

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org
Study the Orthodox Faith online with the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies
http://www.lsocs.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Elijah
Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »

Thank you, Father Peter.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »

As long as there is balance in your life then things are probably in order.

There is nothing wrong with almost anything that is not obviously spiritually harmful as long as it does not take over our lives.

Watching some TV is OK. But being out in the country is probably better. Not least because it is possible to pray while walking. Reading is good, having a creative hobby is good. Making music is good.

Wasting time is poor stewardship and not likely to be spiritually beneficial.

Entertainment sounds rather passive, while relaxation is a natural human need. It is a recharging of our batteries. We can perhaps consider whether the things we do with our time are a positive means of relaxation, or are a passive consumption.

What sort of things do you like to do? Are they creative and refreshing, or passive and a mere waste of time?

God bless you

Father Peter

Very good advice!

Father Bless.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: