Author Topic: Hymns  (Read 637 times)

Offline ICXCNIKA

• High Elder
Hymns
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
Please forgive my ignorance. How are hymns created today? Can anyone compose a hymn or do they get a blessing to do so? How are new hymns incorporated into the Church? Is there an approval process? I ask because sometimes I see that some compose hymns and I figure if they are going to be used in Church they would need to be vetted in some way to make sure that they accurately represent Orthodox Theology.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Hymns
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:08:04 AM »
Usually the churches have designated one or more persons to write their hymns, and when the time comes to canonize someone or recognize a feastday, they give them the relevant historical and hagiographical information to work with.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline St_John_Chysostom

• St John The Golden Tongue
Re: Hymns
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:47:54 AM »
I was listening to these Hymns, and some of them are called 'Zenemmy' Chant. Another is called a 'Georgian' Chant. There is of course the Byzantine Chant.

All you have to do to  find out about ANYTHING is google it, or look it up in wikipedia :)

You can download a whole CD of the most beautiful Russian chants i've ever heard:

http://www.3saints.com/music.html

One of the most outstanding one is called the 'Zenemmy' Chant. Look it up:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Znamenny_chant

I can't believe that CD is in English! 

Recorded in 1996.