OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:33:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good article about Islam  (Read 850 times) Average Rating: 0
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« on: January 28, 2004, 06:07:23 AM »

The below mentioned article was written by "Francis Maier", in "Our Sunday Visitor" newspaper, a Catholic newspaper ...... I liked it and thought if sharing it..

People who forget their history are like a man with amnesia: They don't have a future because they can't understand the present. And they can't make sense of the present because they don't have the context of the past.
When Emperor Justinian walked into the completed HAGIA SOPHIA in 537 A.D., he stared in silence for a long time at the immense beauty of the basilica he had commissioned and then whispered: "Solomon, I surpassed you."
He was probably right. HAGIA SOPHIA was the artistic triumph of a millennium. For 916 years, it permeated the daily life of the imperical city of Constantinople. No church in Christendom matched its scale or grandeur. Over centuries, it became a symbol of Byzantine civilization. Orthodox christians ( Actually it would be the Eastern Orthodox) saw it as the center of their faith, a foretaste of heaven.
For this reason, the first act of the city's Muslims conquerors in A.D.1453 as they sacked the city was to convert this astonishing Christian church to a mosque.
Over the following centuries, Muslim rulers destroyed or commandeered nearly all the city's remaining Christian churches. Even today, in officially "secular" Turkey, the harassment of the christian minority continues. Barely 2000 Christians now remain in a city that once rivaled Rome for leadership of the Christian world.
We should reflect carefully on this history lesson. While European birthrates drop and a secularized Europe spurns its christian roots, Muslim immigration continues. As a result, the religious and cultural landscape of Europe is changing- a trend further accelerated by high Muslim birthrates. Some church leaders have began to express concern. They're right to do so.
Islam, despite its claim to a common ancestry with Judaism and Christianity stemming from Abraham and despite its formal respect for Jesus and Mary, has virtually nothing in common with Christian faith. Islam denies the Trinity, the Incarnation and the Redemption. It denies the accuracy of the Gospels. And it denies the origin and the purpose of the Church. In fact, Islam acknowledges Judaism and Christianity only to absorb them into its own syncretist story.
As a result, a Muslim-Christian coexistance has always been uncomfortable and often violent, usually at christian expense (I add: always on christian expense). Much of North Africa and the Middle East once had a flourishing Christian civilization. Muslim invasion submerged and erased them. The (Christian) Byzantine empire had been resisting the Muslim expansion. Spain expelled Muslim occupiers in the 15the century. Muslim armies were turned back from Vienna in 1689. Much of the tragic religious and ethnic fighting in the Balkan today can trace its roots to four centuries of Ottoman Turk (muslim) occupation and repression.
And these difficult relations are not something from the distant past. Today, Christians in Muslim-dominated states like Sudan, Egypt, Iran, Pakistan, Turkey, Bangladesh and Indonesia face everything from marginalization and harassment to outright violence. The reson is simple. Anti-Jewish and Anti-Christian prejudice has a long and unfortunate pedigree in Islam, depsite all claims to the contrary.
This does not license prejudice on our part. But it does demand that we bring realism, courage, firmness and an accurate memory to our modern encounter with Islam. In the light of the Gospel, Mohammed is not a true prophet,and the Quran is not the word of God. Muslims do not know Jesus Christ, and without our active witness to the Islamic world, they never will.
The prominent mosque completed a decade ago in Rome, the heart of the Catholic world, reminds us that history repeats itself with unhappy consequences for Christian believers. The mosque's young Imam was removed earlier this year for preaching violence against the "enemies of Islam", but his message was nothing unusual.
If Christians sleep, if we remain silent in the face of Islamic intolerance, the world our grandchildren will inherit will be a world increasingly without the cross and without the truth

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 11:16:33 AM »

good article.  TY for posting.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
jbc1949

St. Adeodatus--Given by God

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 11:36:09 AM »

Sounds to me as if birth control ought to be outlawed in Israel, the U.S. and Europe, especially in Italy.  The RC throwbacks (like me!) may someday get a traditional liturgy but not to our own liking.  It will be in Classical Arabic and will take place 5 times a day! Sad

JBC
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: