OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:17:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My American fiancé  (Read 893 times) Average Rating: 0
Nermeen

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Christian Coptic Orthodox

« on: June 10, 2010, 02:32:40 PM »

I've been trying to get an answer for my question but I get a lot of conflicting answers on this. (and angry comments too!)
My fiancé is a US citizen and I'm an Egyptian, he is a very good Christian, we plan to get married in the US in a few months, I've been telling him about being Orthodox and he loves it that he wants to be one and get baptized and we want to have our wedding in an orthodox church in the US, down in Florida. How to go about doing this? I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks. God bless!
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 02:48:13 PM »

Congratulations on your pending marriage!   Grin

Do you plan on getting married in Egypt or the US?

Once you determine this, I would recommend speaking to the priest at the parish you intend to be crowned in as your first step.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:48:43 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Nermeen

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:53:33 PM »

As I said in the original post, we'll get married in Florida, USA. (religiously and legally)
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:58:25 PM »

As I said in the original post, we'll get married in Florida, USA. (religiously and legally)

You should (must) talk to the priest of that Orthodox Church in Florida that you have in mind. Since I am Eastern Orthodox, I do not know what are the requirements of the Coptic Church. Perhaps some of Coptic friends can answer you much better. In any case, please accept my congratulations!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:20:02 PM »

Many Years! Smiley

Love never fails.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »

Best wishes, Nermeen!  If part of your question is about the legalities of coming into the U.S., you will want to apply for a fiance visa.  (Actually, if I remember correctly, your spouse-to-be applies on your behalf.) Once approved, it'll allow you a one-time entry into the U.S., after which you have something like several months to get married.  They're relatively straightforward to get approved, although they take some time.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Here is a link to a list of Coptic churches, including those in Florida:

http://www.suscopts.org/diocese/churches/

You should probably find the nearest church and speak to the priest there.  I'm sure you are not the first person to be in this situation.  The priest will know what to do.   Smiley

Nermeen

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 03:49:12 PM »

Thank you all for the beautiful wishes!

You are right chrevbel, we are actually in the middle of the visa process Smiley I'm expecting my interview very soon.
I just want to be sure what to do and do it now cause I have only 90 days to get married or I'll be il-legally staying in the US.

Thanks Salpy! I'll check it out now Smiley
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:49:48 PM by Nermeen » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: