OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:29:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priests...  (Read 602 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: June 09, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »

If married priests cannot advance in the Church (become bishops, etc.) than can un-married priests doso?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 01:16:50 AM »

If married priests cannot advance in the Church (become bishops, etc.) than can un-married priests doso?

Yes.

What other options are there?? If you eliminate both married and unmarried priests, who are left??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 01:20:19 AM »

I'm fairly certain several (or many?) of the Antiochian bishops didn't come from "traditional" monastic backgrounds.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 01:51:17 AM »

Yes.

What other options are there?? If you eliminate both married and unmarried priests, who are left??
I thought that bishops were chosen from monks.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 02:16:55 AM »

Yes.

Not necessarily.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:18:57 AM »

Yes.

That's a fairly rare occurrence in this day and age and those bishop chosen from monks are chosen from the ranks of the heiromonks, it's uncanonical to promote someone straight to the episcopacy without first going through the other orders (though sometimes it's accelerated, very rarely from monk or layman all the way to bishop).

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:51:24 AM »

There are two ways a married priest can become a bishop: when his wife passes away, or if she voluntarily joins a monastery.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: priesthood 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: