OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:51:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Veneration of Western Saints  (Read 359 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: September 10, 2011, 08:10:02 AM »

I've been asked to write an article about veneration of Western Saints in the Eastern Orthodox Church so I'm looking for some background information about the issue. I'll probably include biography of some Saint but for know I'm looking for some historical background so any recommendation of articles, books, websites etc. are appreciated.

I've understood that while there has always been some Western Saints in Eastern calendars there is also some kind of more modern movement to revive the veneration of pre-Schism Western Sainst forgotten by Eastern Christians started by St. John of San Francisco and continued by St. Herman of Alaska monastery. Am I correct? Are there any other concrete factors or persons who advocated the revival of veneration of Western Saints? Also, is the Russian church the only local church that has concretely instituted new feasts for Western Saints?

What about WRO? Do they have some kind of special emphasis on veneration of Western Saints? Do they have different calendar from the Byzantine calendar?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and ideas.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:11:42 AM by Alpo » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »

Fr. Seraphim Rose also advocated Western saints and translated St. Gregory of Tours' Vita Patrum.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:31:05 AM »

Alpo,

I'm positive that if you look around we've discussed and gave information about several Pre-schism saints from Great Britain, and Ireland.. and also from the Scandinavian countries.  Just do a "search" up there at the top of the OC.net screen..

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Tags: Western Saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: