OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:34:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hymns  (Read 530 times) Average Rating: 0
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: June 12, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »

Please forgive my ignorance. How are hymns created today? Can anyone compose a hymn or do they get a blessing to do so? How are new hymns incorporated into the Church? Is there an approval process? I ask because sometimes I see that some compose hymns and I figure if they are going to be used in Church they would need to be vetted in some way to make sure that they accurately represent Orthodox Theology.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:08:04 AM »

Usually the churches have designated one or more persons to write their hymns, and when the time comes to canonize someone or recognize a feastday, they give them the relevant historical and hagiographical information to work with.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
St_John_Chysostom

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: 7 Ecumenical Councils

St John The Golden Tongue

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:47:54 AM »

I was listening to these Hymns, and some of them are called 'Zenemmy' Chant. Another is called a 'Georgian' Chant. There is of course the Byzantine Chant.

All you have to do to  find out about ANYTHING is google it, or look it up in wikipedia Smiley

You can download a whole CD of the most beautiful Russian chants i've ever heard:

http://www.3saints.com/music.html

One of the most outstanding one is called the 'Zenemmy' Chant. Look it up:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Znamenny_chant

I can't believe that CD is in English! 

Recorded in 1996.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: