OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 08:34:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40 Liturgies (Sarantaleitorgon)  (Read 936 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:56:09 PM »

What traditions exist for this?  I know in Chicago we would do them for Christmas, and I know that there is a tradition in the GOA that a newly ordained priest (or sometimes deacon) will do 40 liturgies in a row. 

Any historical precedent, anyone know how this developed?  Any local permutations? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »

What traditions exist for this?  I know in Chicago we would do them for Christmas, and I know that there is a tradition in the GOA that a newly ordained priest (or sometimes deacon) will do 40 liturgies in a row. 

Any historical precedent, anyone know how this developed?  Any local permutations?  

I know of a dozen or so GOA parishes that celebrate the 40 liturgies during the Lent leading up to Christmas. Basically, in the most ethnic parishes.

It's also a pious custom for a newly ordained priest to serve 40 liturgies.

And, as far as I know, it's not an uncommon Greek and Slavic practice for pious families to request/pay for 40 Liturgies (or however many they could afford) to be celebrated for their newly departed relative. This is often related to ideas about the soul after death.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:03:46 PM »

My experience in America is that many newly-ordained priests will celebrate a "week of liturgies;" I suspect this hearkens back to the 40 liturgies; I figure the purpose is to just get the new priest used to serving; 40 liturgies would definately sharpen him up well, but sometimes that just isn't feasible when a priest has to juggle caring for family and other aspects of parish ministry, so a week of liturgies is the best they can do sometimes.   

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »

Whem the temple at my parish was consecrated, we had a week of Liturgies, this being explained to us as a pious custom for consecrations.

When Pat. Pavle died, the local Serbian priest did 40 days of Liturgies in his memory.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 01:31:42 AM »

In Romania they-at least where I come from-they often keep the newly ordained deacon or priest at the cathedral for about 40 days to serve there daily, since it is the only place that has daily liturgy anyways.
A friend though, went much faster through the process, since he had a wife with a small kid at home, that needed him.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:54:17 AM »

In Romania they-at least where I come from-they often keep the newly ordained deacon or priest at the cathedral for about 40 days to serve there daily, since it is the only place that has daily liturgy anyways.
A friend though, went much faster through the process, since he had a wife with a small kid at home, that needed him.

Indeed, that is a consideration.  With my little one at home, and the other hustle and bustle in the parish, it was decided I'd do two weeks of Liturgies.  If one includes my ordination Liturgies, I participated in Liturgy each of 16 days, and 17 in 18 days.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: daily liturgies 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: