OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:38:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons are not Written  (Read 6886 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »

I thought it worthwhile to resurrect this thread since I see this "written, not painted" schtick popping up recently.

Almost as bad as the "God's actions in the Old Testament were just anthropomorphism" schtick.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »

I thought it worthwhile to resurrect this thread since I see this "written, not painted" schtick popping up recently.

Almost as bad as the "God's actions in the Old Testament were just anthropomorphism" schtick.

The Hebrews simply painted God out to be something He wasn't.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 04:57:17 PM »

And the temple stuff is odd as well.

The people of God, the Church is the Temple of God. Not buildings made by hands.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:58:26 PM by orthonorm » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2011, 04:57:59 PM »

Living?

But seriously. Christian anthropology denies the possibility of God being anthropomorphic.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:59:23 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 05:02:17 PM »

And the temple stuff is odd as well.

The people of God, the Church is the Temple of God. Not buildings made by hands.
Moscow has no hands, because Moscow is ineffable, inconceivable, incomprehensible, ever-existing and eternally Moscow.

The early peoples of Rus had a primitive conception of Moscow, thus they assigned Moscow human traits. But Moscow merely appears to have hands to those who live outside of the true Moscow; in the inner life of Moscow, Moscow is supra-chirotic and is beyond all hands.

Moscow's buildings can therefore be called temples.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:04:24 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »

Living?

But seriously. Christian anthropology denies the possibility of God being anthropomorphic.

They painted by numbers, I mean come on, how do you take this seriously?

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0422.htm#28

If only they had been writing . . .
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:05:11 PM by orthonorm » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »

Living?

Are you saying that Hebrew artists were the genesis of connect-the-dots?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:07:48 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2011, 05:21:37 PM »

Living?

Are you saying that Hebrew artists were the genesis of connect-the-dots?

Duetoirony, the fifth Book of the Law, wasn't even written down. That is if you believe the unChristian tongue of the Hebrews.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:23:04 PM by orthonorm » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2011, 06:38:08 PM »

I am glad I saw this, because I thought 'written' was the correct term. Now that I know it's not, I'll quit saying that.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2011, 07:26:23 PM »

I am glad I saw this, because I thought 'written' was the correct term. Now that I know it's not, I'll quit saying that.  Smiley

Biro, the most inscrutable of us all!

It ain't "wrong". I doubt you were using it with the pretension, which I believe is the point here.

Are you even capable of pretense? Call it whatever you like.

Some folks just like to make a point using an odd sounding word in the English language because, well I won't put it any better than it has been put above.

FrMoses

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Los Angeles, Southern California and Hawaii

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2011, 12:20:43 AM »

Fr. Anthony Salzman of St. Philothea Greek Orthodox Church in Athens, Georgia (US) is an established iconographer who studied in Greece for 6 years. He explained to me that icons are written because they are a visual form of the Gospel, and not just some fancy painting of a random scene. Their intent is to spread the good news of Jesus Christ, whether it be through the depiction of a saint or a scene from scripture.

It is for this reason we say icons are "written," and not "painted."

This is how I see things, as well. It may be that the expression "icons are written" is silly when it comes to the original Greek and resulting English (mis?)translation, but over time, it seems that expression has come to signify much more than the creation of icons: it symbolizes the nature of icons as works entirely different from secular works of art.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2011, 04:03:44 AM »

The Father Thomas Hopko fan club strikes again.

You guys have won me over on so many subjects. I just find it amusing how I so often recognise Father Tom's words in your typing.

I still don't think God has a back, though.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2011, 04:09:26 AM »

I'm with you, akimori. The more folks try to justify icon "writing". the more I cringe. Or laugh, when it gets too silly.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2011, 04:30:28 AM »

Yes he does:

Let's start a new thread: "Did the infant/youth Jesus have toys?"

*cue 50,000 stoic patristic quotes about the evils of childhood diversion, plus a link to a talk given by Fr. Seraphim of Platina*

Here's one:

"For hear, O Christian! Christ, being the eternal Logos, contained within himself the changeless knowledge of the potential edification of playing with all the toys that have, will be, or could have been. However, for the sake of the dispensation, he may have permitted his flesh to undergo the enjoyment of toys in order to fulfill the prophecy of Playmobilus the Younger, which reads:

'He shall consume many legos,
yet they shall pass unobstructed therethrough;
And by his own arm, let the logs of lincoln be builded'

Thus the Logos did not preserve the properties of giggling, laughing, falling, or general merry-making undiminished; but being that self-same Word, he was so totally over kids stuff.
"

-Elder Andrei Vomilogrinch of Winter Warlock Monastery in Kiev
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:54:38 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »

I'm more interested in how Pasadi answers this.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2011, 12:39:30 AM »

This is how I see things, as well. It may be that the expression "icons are written" is silly when it comes to the original Greek and resulting English (mis?)translation, but over time, it seems that expression has come to signify much more than the creation of icons: it symbolizes the nature of icons as works entirely different from secular works of art.

Come to signify by whom? A small group of people who have agreed amongst themselves to hijack the English language and claim that their created jargon is necessary to differentiate an icon from a secular painting? By reverse application, we would have to use a word other than written to communicate that the Gospels are different than the works of Shakespeare. Perhaps we should say that the Gospels are "etched"? After all, they were etched into papyrus scrolls originally...or perhaps they are "translated": the Divine Logos spake a word unto our Fathers the Apostles, so they "translated" that Logos into the Logoi...or perhaps they were "breathed"? After all, they were etched under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit...

The point of my hyperbole: use the proper English word. Explain the concept using the proper English word. Don't hijack English in order to manufacture a secret, mystical-sounding jargon that is nonsensical to the very people we are trying to evangelize.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2011, 12:47:18 AM »

Come to signify by whom? A small group of people who have agreed amongst themselves to hijack the English language and claim that their created jargon is necessary to differentiate an icon from a secular painting? By reverse application, we would have to use a word other than written to communicate that the Gospels are different than the works of Shakespeare. Perhaps we should say that the Gospels are "etched"? After all, they were etched into papyrus scrolls originally...or perhaps they are "translated": the Divine Logos spake a word unto our Fathers the Apostles, so they "translated" that Logos into the Logoi...or perhaps they were "breathed"? After all, they were etched under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit...

The point of my hyperbole: use the proper English word. Explain the concept using the proper English word. Don't hijack English in order to manufacture a secret, mystical-sounding jargon that is nonsensical to the very people we are trying to evangelize.

Couldn't have put it better myself. An excellent analysis!
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2011, 01:41:29 AM »

Yes he does:

Dude, you know I'm talking the pre-incarnate God but well-played.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2011, 02:23:11 AM »

Yes he does:

*cue 50,000 stoic patristic quotes about the evils of childhood diversion, plus a link to a talk given by Fr. Seraphim of Platina*

Here's one:

"For hear, O Christian! Christ, being the eternal Logos, contained within himself the changeless knowledge of the potential edification of playing with all the toys that have, will be, or could have been. However, for the sake of the dispensation, he may have permitted his flesh to undergo the enjoyment of toys in order to fulfill the prophecy of Playmobilus the Younger, which reads:

Thus the Logos did not preserve the properties of giggling, laughing, falling, or general merry-making undiminished; but being that self-same Word, he was so totally over kids stuff.
"

Blasphemy! God is in the perfect shape, which we all know is a sphere.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2011, 08:06:07 AM »

Exodus 33:23 :"Then I will take My hand away and you shall see My back, but My face shall not be seen."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:08:25 AM by Keble » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »

Yes he does:

Here's one:

"

Blasphemy! God is in the perfect shape, which we all know is a sphere.

There is so much about this exchange that is right, I don't know where to start.

Thank you guys.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the avatars and .sigs are not preserved.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:49:51 PM by orthonorm » Logged

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »

Exodus 33:23 :"Then I will take My hand away and you shall see My back, but My face shall not be seen."

Keble, how do you understand this verse?

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »

God was intentionally unclear with Moses, who did not understand sophisticated philosophy. He was relying on the fact that people familiar with Plotinus would correctly decipher in the future that he meant meant his apophatic not-face, not-hand and not-back. Tongue That or perhaps God has features that are like hands, like a face and like a back (though I suppose that I can agree that we cannot describe them being as such, and so have to be careful to apophatically state that they are not hands but also not not hands, etc.).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:02:21 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2011, 03:18:34 PM »

Is that from the Gospel according to Origen, righteous confounder of the Hebrews?

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »

Is that from the Gospel according to Origen, righteous confounder of the Hebrews?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, but not in such a way that implies that God is composed of parts, that God is not simple, or that God gives rise to multiplicity.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:39:44 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »

This is getting kinda lame.

Yes, the Old Testament is not just some metaphor for which we can conveniently substitute Greek philosophy in its place. I don't think that means the Fathers were all going Plotinus on us when they insisted the pre-incarnate God does not have a back or hands.

Your parody of schtick, it seems to me, is in danger of becoming schtick itself.

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »

Yes, the Old Testament is not just some metaphor for which we can conveniently substitute Greek philosophy in its place. I don't think that means the Fathers were all going Plotinus on us when they insisted the pre-incarnate God does not have a back or hands.

Your parody of schtick, it seems to me, is in danger of becoming schtick itself.

Well, how do you understand God having a back and hands and a face? Surely God has these things in some fashion, or else he would not have spoken to Moses in such a manner.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »

I think what you said below is mostly on point.

I am not irked by your taking a particular view of the matter, it is more the flippant treatment of the sincere efforts of the Fathers to understand the Scriptures with which I take issue. While products of their time and place and quite capable of being wrong, they were far from stupid men.

I do not believe the Lord did not know exactly where Adam was when he was "looking" for him in paradise. Perhaps he was indeed looking for Adam, in some sense, but certainly not the ordinary sense.

God was intentionally unclear with Moses, who did not understand sophisticated philosophy. He was relying on the fact that people familiar with Plotinus would correctly decipher in the future that he meant meant his apophatic not-face, not-hand and not-back. Tongue That or perhaps God has features that are like hands, like a face and like a back (though I suppose that I can agree that we cannot describe them being as such, and so have to be careful to apophatically state that they are not hands but also not not hands, etc.).

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2011, 05:50:45 PM »

I am not irked by your taking a particular view of the matter, it is more the flippant treatment of the sincere efforts of the Fathers to understand the Scriptures with which I take issue. While products of their time and place and quite capable of being wrong, they were far from stupid men.

I do not believe the Lord did not know exactly where Adam was when he was "looking" for him in paradise. Perhaps he was indeed looking for Adam, in some sense, but certainly not the ordinary sense.

Point taken.

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »

Thank you for posting that.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »

Sorry for being grumpy and probably de-railing the thread. You know I love you guys.

On top of that, you're quite probably more correct in these matters than I am.

Christ is born!

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2011, 10:06:46 PM »

I'm definitely with you on this one.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »

An analogy to this from the New Testament is Christ asking Martha and Mary where their brother Lazarus was buried. Being God, it is beyond question that He knew.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:15:25 PM by LBK » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »

An analogy to this from the New Testament is Christ asking Martha and Mary where their brother Lazarus was buried. Being God, it is beyond question that He knew.

*eye roll*

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »

Well, how do you understand God having a back and hands and a face? Surely God has these things in some fashion, or else he would not have spoken to Moses in such a manner.

I have no problem with the Fathers' interpretation of this. If the Church used Greek philosophy to clarify this, so be it. We can smirk at it as we like, but some of us chose to join this Church knowing what we were getting into, so it seems a bit pointless to me to mock it now.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2011, 01:24:43 AM »

*eye roll*

I'm just dying to open up that Christological can of worms.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2011, 01:40:08 AM »

Being God, Christ could not die, so the Nestorians are right.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2011, 01:44:30 AM »

Have a look at Vespers and Matins for the Raising of Lazarus.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2011, 02:05:15 AM »

It'a not a contradiction; it's a MYSTERY!!!
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2011, 04:27:28 AM »

Have a look at the Holy Scriptures.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2011, 07:18:43 AM »

Have a look at the Holy Scriptures.

Come on, really?
Our hymn-writers looked at them too and knew what they meant.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »

There aren't any Orthodox hymns that go,

"You LARPed as a human, O Christ God,
Feigning ignorance for didactic purposes.
You asked Martha a rhetorical question,
Thus instructing her in perfect faith."

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »

It should be added to the service as a "another apolytikion"
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »

Post of the month?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »

Okay, but who are you actually arguing with then? Nobody is denying that Christ was ignorant in his human nature.

Tags: icons iconography 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: