OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:27:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Since the damage is done.....  (Read 1525 times) Average Rating: 0
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« on: January 27, 2004, 12:33:38 PM »

Since the posts have already been deleted, why is there any reason to prevent the rest of us, whom you promise to respect Lips Sealed , from editing/deleting our postings??
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 03:55:58 PM »

If I may add my two cents regarding this.

I think that a person should not have the ability to delete an entire post whether it's his/her post or not.  Any entire deletions should have to go through either the Administrator ar Moderator of that section.

However, I disagree with the restrictions regarding editing.  I'm sure that if you checked, you would see that most editing is done within the first half hour after the post.  

Most of the time when I go in and edit it is done within two to five minutes after I pressed the 'send' button.  This is because when I reread it I pick up on all my spelling, punctuation, and typing errors. Even though I may have previewed it first.   For us old guys like me who aren't the best spellers & two finger typists,   etc. and had secretaries that would proof read & correct everything we wrote before typing....GIVE US A ONE HOUR BREAK TO EDIT OUR MISDEEDS!  PLEASE!  How about a half hour?  Fifteen minutes?

I know when I'm in editing I'm hoping not too many people have read my original post with all its errors!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 04:15:10 PM »

Orthodoc,

You and I are alike, and I second your motion.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 04:16:27 PM »

Friends,

Within one week you will have 24 hours to edit your posts.  Bobby is writing the code now.  Thank you for your concern.

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 05:20:30 PM »

I appreciate the programming effort, but my point is that the current clampdown only makes sense from the assumption that one of us intends to go out and do a mass deletion of our own posts. I hadn't made any such plans myself.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 05:44:51 PM »

On the contrary, even if someone were to delete only a few of their posts, it'd mess things up. Folks shouldn't have the ability to take back their posts, but should learn to think before posting.

Matt
Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 06:50:53 PM »

It's the editing that concerns me, and I was given to understand that at the present deleting and editing are inextricably linked. And at any rate, the worst damage that I've seen in the posting deleting category until this event has been done by the management anyway, and somehow I doubt they've given up that ability.

I can't even figure out who this person is who did this, or identify which threads are now hashed. At the same time I'm now seeing lots misspelled/garbled posts, not to mention extra posts of the sort we used to see only from people who hadn't figured out that they could edit their posts. So we've traded a fairly theoretical problem for a very real one.

I personally am willing to trade the risk of a few "imporperly" deleted posts to get back being able to make corrections, especially since I think the real rtisk is extremely low.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 08:04:20 PM »

Re: the sudden, violent surge of garbled posts, I'll admit it makes for an amusing transformation, Keble.  However, I'll second your preference, as being stripped of the ability and power to perform edits has all of a sudden given me a close and morbid glimpse at my own naked mortality. <shudder>

In IC XC
Samer
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 12:05:44 AM »

I do not mean my previous post to mean that I'm against editing---by no meanss! Simply that at a certain point, folks should watch what they say and not commit malicious acts to the board like the one that caused this change.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 01:14:50 PM »

I agree with Keble.

We should have the power to edit our posts.

Personally, I do not understand why someone would take the trouble to delete hundreds or even a thousand or more posts. That's too much work!

If I decided I didn't like this place or was bored with it, I would just quit.

I don't care about having the ability to delete a post, but I really do miss having the ability to edit.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004, 01:24:00 PM »

Linus - lots of work - and lots of time.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: