Author Topic: The Vigil in Greek typicon churches  (Read 1087 times)

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
The Vigil in Greek typicon churches
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
Outside of monasteries, do any churches which use the Greek typicon (GOA, Antiochian, etc.) , on the eves of the Great Feasts or Sundays, ever have the entire vigil (both Vespers and Matins combined)?  Is this practice to be found more in the churches that follow the Slavic typicon?  Are vigils simply not done at the parish level because of the time?  Really curious to know.
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Re: The Vigil in Greek typicon churches
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
I've seen it done in our Cathedral once in the past year, but we are pesky Old Calendarists so caveat emptor. ;)
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
Outside of monasteries, do any churches which use the Greek typicon (GOA, Antiochian, etc.) , on the eves of the Great Feasts or Sundays, ever have the entire vigil (both Vespers and Matins combined)?  Is this practice to be found more in the churches that follow the Slavic typicon?  Are vigils simply not done at the parish level because of the time?  Really curious to know.

Not that I've seen.  Most Churches I've been to (GOA) do Matins immediately before the Divine Liturgy, not combined with the Vespers the night before.  The rare parish that actually will do the occasional vigil does the whole thing (all-night, including Compline w/ Akathist, Paraklesis, etc.), not just Vespers + Matins.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Online ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »
I've seen it done in our Cathedral once in the past year, but we are pesky Old Calendarists so caveat emptor. ;)
Caveat orantor.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:25:17 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »
The metropolitan cathedral of Cluj always does a vigil, but I'm not sure we use "the Greek typikon" either.

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:32:40 AM »
I have been to a few vigils at Greek churches in London, but, as Fr. George said, they always consist of more than just Vespers and Matins, which seems to be a Slavic thing.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:35:53 AM by Orthodox11 »