OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:30:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Orthodox Christians of Chicago for Truth and Reform  (Read 2564 times) Average Rating: 0
filipinopilgrim

« on: June 06, 2010, 11:13:56 PM »

What can you say about this group?

http://gotruthreform.org

In their website, they claim that they are defending the traditions of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese against the Ephraimites, and they make distinctions between "faith-abiding priests" and "Ephraimites". Exactly what "traditions" are they defending? I'm also puzzled as to why this group sees monasticism as a threat.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »

I'm also puzzled as to why this group sees monasticism as a threat.

Usually a red flag.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:23:43 PM »

What can you say about this group?

http://gotruthreform.org

In their website, they claim that they are defending the traditions of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese against the Ephraimites, and they make distinctions between "faith-abiding priests" and "Ephraimites". Exactly what "traditions" are they defending? I'm also puzzled as to why this group sees monasticism as a threat.

The Ephramites did establish non-canonical monasteries in violation of episcopal jurisdiction, I'm not sure about the specific grievances of this group but they have good reason to be concerned about people who have long acted in direct opposition to the Orthodox Bishops and Canon Law.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:24:27 PM »

This Web site was discussed previously here:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17649.msg404841.html#msg404841
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:24:42 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
filipinopilgrim

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:45:28 PM »

I'm struck by two things about the website.

1) Its extremely methodical attempt to list down or "out" pro-Ephraimite clergy and parishes, as can be seen in this webpage:

http://gotruthreform.org/report-ephraimite-activity/

2) The way it characterizes "All-Night Vigils" as a form of cultic mind control:

http://gotruthreform.org/this-is-not-confession/

Naps are encouraged purportedly to allow the visitor to be awake for the services that occur in the middle of the night, but in fact they are a classic cult technique. Disrupting the normal sleep patterns of both the guests and those who live at the monastery make individuals more malleable to suggestions.

Given that praying in the middle of the night is a monastic institution in both the Orthodox and Catholic Churches, are the people behind this website saying that monastic prayer is cultist in nature?
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 12:54:42 AM »

They also have a problem with priests having beards. I guess I missed the memo where that was frowned upon.
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:08:14 AM »

To put it bluntly (and I'm familiar with this group from a forum I no longer follow):  they're more interested in making Orthodoxy American than in making America Orthodox.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »

Oh, goodness - I have a beard, and I would love to have an all-night vigil at my parish.  Am I an "Ephramite," too? Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: