OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 11:58:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Aside from the weekend cycle of services and feast day liturgies, how many days in the week does your parish offer services (whether Vespers, Orthros, Hours, etc.)
Services are only on weekends - 7 (41.2%)
1 - 4 (23.5%)
2 - 2 (11.8%)
3 - 2 (11.8%)
4 - 1 (5.9%)
5 - 1 (5.9%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frequency of services  (Read 1112 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: June 06, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »

Also, after voting, would you be so kind as to indicate what service(s) are given and on what days?  Please indicate as well whether the services are with a priest or reader's services.

As for me, outside the Sunday cycle of services (Great Vespers on Saturday nights) and the feast day liturgies, my church offers nothing else during the week.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 01:18:20 PM »

Aside from Saturday night Vespers and Liturgy on Sunday as wells as feasts, we have Orthros in the mornings on Tuesday through Friday at my parish.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 01:22:16 PM »

The church I have most recently attended (Saturday Vespers and Sunday Divine Liturgy) today, also offers a weekly Wednesday Evening Paraclesis.

The other church I attend also has a weekly Wednesday evening service, but for them it is Vespers.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:25:18 PM by Nigula Qian Zishi » Logged

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 01:30:48 PM »

Vigil on Saturday, Liturgy on Sunday, Vigil on the day before the feast and Liturgy on the day of the Feast - in Warsaw.

Same as above and an Akathyst to St. Martyrs of Vilnius on Wednesday and an Akathyst to St. George on Thursday - in Białystok.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:20:21 PM »

Well, vespers on Saturday evening, with very few or none in attendance, orthros liturgy on Sunday morning plus always vespers on Sunday evening, much better attended; vespers, orthros and
liturgy on all feast days-3 days for Easter&Christmas, 2 days for Pentecost etc; days like St Elijah, Ss. Constantine and Helen, Synaxis of St. John the Baptist and the like always observed.
Nothing on regular, non-feast days. Only in monasteries&cathedrals they do the liturgy and the offices on those days. Our cathedral has daily vespers, orthros & liturgy.
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:22:49 PM »

We have Vespers on Saturday evening, Matins and Liturgy on Sundays, and Vespers on Wednesday evenings.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »

Vespers on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.  Most often with a priest, though we have readers who will conduct the service in the priest's absence when necessary.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 08:14:42 PM »

The parish near my university tends to only have services with a priest on Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings, unless there's a major feast during the week. A small group of us conduct daily lay-matins and vespers though.
David Leon

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 11:21:58 PM »

Our small mission in s. Mississippi has Vespers on Wed. evenings and we have just begun to have liturgy every Thursday morning.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »

My parish used to have daily liturgies a few years ago, but our priest is now doing other things during the week; I think it was too much for him.

These days besides feasts and their accompanying vigils, the only weekly regular service we have is a Wednesday evening Vespers at 6:00, which the priest leads. Not many people usually attend. I went a couple of weeks ago and it was just me and the priest, so I had to do the reading. I don't know the tones very well, so I simply read everything as best I could in a monotone chanting voice, just trying to keep the order of the service straight.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:29:25 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: