OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 06:05:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: should I keep this friend?  (Read 8596 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2010, 12:24:38 PM »

Trevor,

I heard that one of the hardest things for Mormons and JWs to leave their groups is because they are so connected to it. When the kids sometimes run away from home (apparently there are some Mormon groups with compounds that have an aversion to sons because they want more women to marry with), they don't know anyone in the outside world!!

What I mean is that you probably should keep this friend.

Hal
yes, I spoke with a past witness convert at Church, and she explained that JW's are not permitted to do ANYTHING religous with people of other, non JW faiths, unless it's trying to convert them.  ahd the whole story about the kids running away and not knowing anyone, that's EXACTLY why JW's and Mormons are cults.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »

Jehovah = Yahweh (transliterated). Prayer to the God Yahweh is correct. Perhaps thou werest praying correctly.

That's a little but too much hair splitting for my taste.

We know that the JW's meant by it.

They were praying to a non-Trinitarian God.

To join in prayer with those who are praying to a non-Trinitarian God is either apostasy (if praying to their non-Trinitarian God) or inconsistency (if praying to the real God).
LOL. May he could pray to Jehovah God, while crossing himself. Grin

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 03:32:03 PM »

Trevor,

Sure be friends with him and pray for him. Although I would warn aginst going to the Kingdom hall again. or reading their translation of the Holy Scriptures.

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »

Friendship is not to be given up lightly.  I recently had to end a friendship, it seemed like the right thing to do, but I regret it every day just the same.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2010, 02:27:13 AM »

Jehovah = Yahweh (transliterated). Prayer to the God Yahweh is correct. Perhaps thou werest praying correctly.

To join in prayer with those who are praying to a non-Trinitarian God is either apostasy (if praying to their non-Trinitarian God) or inconsistency (if praying to the real God).
lol!  every time I ppray with friends, I cross myself.  but with these people, they had just givven a "talk" on why the trinity is just a heresy that will lead us to eternal damnation.  so, when we prayed to "Jehovah God" before we ate, I just thought "Trevor, don't go there". 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2010, 03:57:35 AM »

lol!  every time I ppray with friends, I cross myself.  but with these people, they had just givven a "talk" on why the trinity is just a heresy that will lead us to eternal damnation.  so, when we prayed to "Jehovah God" before we ate, I just thought "Trevor, don't go there".  

^Good decision.

My advice:

Be militant in your unconditional love for your friend and militant in practicing your Orthodox Faith. For example, when your friend is speaking heresy or praying in an unOrthodox manner, speak Orthodox Truth and pray Orthodox prayers just as loudly as he does. If he becomes irritated by this, explain to him that you love God too much to accept heresy, but that your love for God also compels you to love your friend unconditionally. Over time, something will have to give. Just make sure that what "gives" is not your Orthodox convictions or your unconditional love for your friend.

Selam
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:58:36 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2010, 04:01:41 AM »

I read somewhere that since one should not join in prayer with non-Orthodox, it is best when they pray (for example, before meals) to be quiet and respectful but to pray an Orthodox prayer such as the Our Father to yourself.

Then again it might be better to do what Gebre says and actually pray aloud, (perhaps after or before to avoid cacophony) if only to make clear to him that you do not in any way endorse his heretical beliefs or prayers.

When I see JWs around or if they come to my door, I usually pray the Creed. I just kinda made that up - I figured when I see them spreading lies I should put some Orthodox vibes in the area lol
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:06:12 AM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Tags: Jehovah's Witnesses Millerite heresy 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: